Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-03-2017, 07:07 PM

Default Los Angeles area visit for muscle dealer pics/ info

Hello everyone-

This is my first time on forums. Bear with me if I take a bit of time to learn some of the protocols....

I created and run the oneownercollectorcar.com website. One of my sections in my website profiles DEALERSHIPS. This has led to an assignment to write a book on muscle car dealerships of the 1960s.

I am fortunate in that my editor has provided greater latitude in what I can do with the book. Not just the big time obvious names but also some off the radar dealers as well.

My goal is to do complete portraits of the dealers including sales, parts/ speed shops/ engine transplants and racing sponsorship.

I'm planning a trip to California next week to gather some pics and stories. The dealers on my list for California are:

Dana Chevrolet
Reynolds Buick

Mel Burns Ford
Galpin Ford
Sachs & Sons Lincoln Mercury

Melrose Motors
Yeakel Chrysler Plymouth

If anyone has memorabilia/ memories/ pictures or owns cars from these dealers I would be most appreciative to hear from you! Everyone will be credited for any contributions or photo copyrights they have.

i'm also hoping to get some info/ pics related to Century Olds, Albertson Bros Olds, Fougler Ford, Russ Davis Ford, Bob Estes Linc Merc, Vel's Parneli Jones, Bill Thomas and some others as well= just as backup in case some of the main stories don't yield enough information or images... or as the basis for a sequel book.

Later next year i'll be visiting the Midwest to gather info on muscle dealers from that area- probably as soon as weather permits cars to come out of storage.

Hope to hear from you and thanks to everyone in advance for anything they can contribute- I will be in West Covina accessing the Reynolds Buick files mid week next week and also at Galpin Ford/ Peterson museum archives in Los Angeles later in the week.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 11-04-2017, 01:04 AM

Sounds like a fun project, thanks for capturing the stories and history.
Dustin
The Following User Says Thank You to bluel78 For This Useful Post:
Dealership Historian (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 04:17 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Welcome to the site.Good luck with your book!
Old 11-04-2017, 06:02 AM

Hi BJCHEV396- thanks for the welcome.

Is that your Blue Nova 396 in the utube you attached? It looks like the license frame says Connell- I did 2 ONE OWNER stories on cars from Connell Chev Olds in Oakland, CA- a Cutlass Supreme and a 442...
Old 11-04-2017, 12:27 PM

Thanked 3,404 Times in 1,244 Posts

While not in L.A. or the US myself, I do have some info you might benefit from when it comes to writing about Dana Chevrolet, and the driver of their Dana Camaro's being campaigned around the country. A driver by the name of Dale Armstrong (The Crazy Canuck) who hailed from here in Calgary and became a legend in the drag race community. Here is a short biography written after he passed a couple years ago.

Dale was a master mechanic who moved to California, worked at Lee White & Dana Chevrolet before going onto race AA cars and later becoming Kenny Bernsteins crew chief. He helped develop, test and set many National records in top fuel and also consulted with John Force before his passing in 2014. Here are a few pics of Dale in various cars as well as the Dana Camaro. The first is his legenary Chevy II that started his career in drag racing.

Gainsville 77

Last edited by NorCam; 11-04-2017 at 12:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NorCam For This Useful Post:
Dealership Historian (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 09:44 PM

Hi NorCam,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post the photos and information! I really appreciate your help. I might buy that color image of Dale racing the Dana Camaro from the Peterson archives... I wonder if any of the family of Dale have unseen pictures from his time at Dana....
Old 11-05-2017, 05:21 AM

If your in LA on next Sunday, the 12th, there is an all Chevrolet car show happening at Community Chevrolet in Burbank. I usually put a car in and will be again this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to mssl72 For This Useful Post:
Dealership Historian (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 03:57 PM

Hi mss172-

thanks for the tip. I looked it up on the LA press feed and they said nov 5- was it rescheduled or did they just make a misprint? What car are you going to enter?
Old 11-05-2017, 09:32 PM

Thanked 4,494 Times in 1,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealership Historian View Post
Hello everyone-

This is my first time on forums. Bear with me if I take a bit of time to learn some of the protocols....

I created and run the oneownercollectorcar.com website. One of my sections in my website profiles DEALERSHIPS. This has led to an assignment to write a book on muscle car dealerships of the 1960s.

If anyone has memorabilia/ memories/ pictures or owns cars from these dealers I would be most appreciative to hear from you! Everyone will be credited for any contributions or photo copyrights they have.

Later next year i'll be visiting the Midwest to gather info on muscle dealers from that area- probably as soon as weather permits cars to come out of storage.
Welcome aboard -

K
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best
Old 11-05-2017, 11:19 PM

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the welcome! We 'talked' on email a few years ago when I did a ONE FAMILY story on your Dad's 65 GTO...