Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 05-14-2008, 05:40 PM

Default Re: 1966 Chevrolet Corvette 427 4 Sp Conv - Finish

In some states it is against the law to remove the vin tag at any time, even while being restored.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,808 Times in 1,619 Posts

-----The bar that these two tags are mounted to should be a green color (zinc-chromate primer) with body color near the outer end towards the door. Unless the car has had a very bad history this area generally lasts very well with no rust issues. It should almost always be left alone. You are now faced with getting the correct rivets which is not that easy. The serial tag rivets that are sold over the internet are often not correct. Same goes for the trim tag rivets. When you want a fairly large pile of money for a car the potential buyers may walk on you if they think there has been any kind of tampering done. This is especially true when you have a very desireable color combination, which this car does. Please dont take this negatively, but I dont know what shops you are talking to but my guess would be that they arent mid-year Corvette specific restoration shops.......Bill S
Old 05-14-2008, 08:07 PM

Isn't it a more common practice to mask the tag off if painting is required around it? That's what we did on my wife's '67 Camaro.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:14 PM

The tags not being affixed to the car is the reason it is still available.
I don't think Neighbor brothers remove tags during restos... and they are probably the finest Corvette shop in the country.
It would take an awfully convincing argument to get many of the guys around here to mess with a car that has had the tags removed.
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 05-14-2008, 10:41 PM

LOL, I will be listing the car on Ebay probably Saturday night. I believe it is the better way to get a higher volume of attention to the car. The car is stil available because it has only been posted on here for 4 or 5 days. I have 4 people coming already Firday and Saturday to look at the car. They saw the pics also and have not changed their minds. Like I said some people care some people don't. Doesn't matter someone is getting on hell of a nice car. I am not one to argue mostly with the guys around here....lol.

Thanks, Jeff
Old 05-15-2008, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-----The bar that these two tags are mounted to should be a green color (zinc-chromate primer) with body color near the outer end towards the door. Unless the car has had a very bad history this area generally lasts very well with no rust issues. It should almost always be left alone. You are now faced with getting the correct rivets which is not that easy. The serial tag rivets that are sold over the internet are often not correct. Same goes for the trim tag rivets. When you want a fairly large pile of money for a car the potential buyers may walk on you if they think there has been any kind of tampering done. This is especially true when you have a very desireable color combination, which this car does. Please dont take this negatively, but I dont know what shops you are talking to but my guess would be that they arent mid-year Corvette specific restoration shops.......Bill S

[/ QUOTE ]
brother Bill is exactly correct.This is a non painted area except for as stated some over spray on the end which is not near the tags.So your body shop guys that say that they sand and paint are full of BS.I think that Ebay is a good idea for you.I am really interested in seeing if some one will pay that much for project that from the pictures is going to need a lot more than you state here.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
brother Bill is exactly correct.This is a non painted area except for as stated some over spray on the end which is not near the tags.So your body shop guys that say that they sand and paint are full of BS.I think that Ebay is a good idea for you.I am really interested in seeing if some one will pay that much for project that from the pictures is going to need a lot more than you state here.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with Provette67.there is NO reason to take them off of a mid year Corvette unless of course they are from another car????????????????????
Old 05-16-2008, 01:03 AM

Yeah the tags are from a MG Midget.......lol. Why do people always expect the worst on a car. How about instead of thinking people are sneaky you actually come look at the car if your interested in actually purchasing a car. Isn't there numbers on the frame of the car itself? Are these cars like a certain year Camaro where you really can't verify anything? I am not a Corvette guy I am into Mopars but I am sure there is some way to verify the car right? I do know that some year model Mopars have the number stamped in the trunk lip on the drivers side under the rubber seal, but I am not sure on 1966 Vette's and how they are verified. I do know that the car came from Wade at Wade's Corvette's in Jacksonville, Fla.

Thanks, Jeff H.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people always expect the worst on a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's what they don't tell you that hurts! I think most of us can remember the feeling we got last time we took a seller we didn't know at his word. For me...if you can't prove it...it's just a story. It may make for good listening but it won't get my wallet out of my pants!

Growing old is a certainty, growing up isn't
Old 05-16-2008, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do people always expect the worst on a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's what they don't tell you that hurts! I think most of us can remember the feeling we got last time we took a seller we didn't know at his word. For me...if you can't prove it...it's just a story. It may make for good listening but it won't get my wallet out of my pants!

[/ QUOTE ]
just one of the many problems are with you descrption.In one you say that it needs next to nothing.Then you post pictures that show that the car needs almost a full restoration.The pictures of the motor and chassis show incorrect parts and finishes.In order to get the pie in the sky price that you claim that it would be worth you are going to start completly over.The very high end cars are completly restored to beautiful and correct condition.With original documentation.I have bought and restored projects before.You never know what is missing which turns into more money.Good luck with the sale