Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Mopar

Old 06-15-2023, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
I did notice a "weirdness" to the shifting/clutch engagement at higher RPMs. It is like the throttle sticks for a millisecond and the revs go up ever so slightly like you were slipping the clutch. I believe that is the exact symptom that the stupid valve causes, right?
My throttle seemed like it had a slight delay in response from when I matted it to when it started picking up RPM. I think it is inherent with the logic of the electrical components of the pedal/pcm/throttle body. With mine, I could tap the traction control button quickly and it would reduce the amount the PCM held back on the throttle but if I press and held it for 5 or 10 seconds, it would completely disable it and man o man, that increased the fun factor a bunch and got rid of that lag!

My issue with the valve was at shifts over 5,000 rpm, I couldn't shift fast. If I tried, I was greeted with a grind. The valve restricted the flow of fluid to the slave and I guess enough fluid couldn't be displaced in that fast shift, thus causing the clutch to not fully disengage. Before I sold the car, I put the stock shifter in it and I could easily see how someone could miss shifts with it. It was super mushy compared to my Hurst.

My car also had a feature that was hill start assist. I don't see where that would come into play with what you are describing, but I would recommend turning that off. I disabled it on day 1 of ownership. It would hold the brakes on a hill until the clutch was fully engaged and the car started moving forward.

I didn't have any issues with lighting in my cluster.

What's odd is, I was driving through town last night and saw a Challenger R/T the same color as the one you just bought at a used car dealership and it had the 71 style R/T stripe on it with with the classic wheels. Car looked great.

I later added the classic Challenger and R/T emblems to my fenders and put the pentastar on the right one. Also put the red eye spoiler on it, I didn't put stripes on it and thought it was a way to break up all the orange on the side of the car. I also liked the SRT8 front spoiler better than the smaller stock one so I added it too.
Attached Images

427TJ (06-17-2023), 67 Nova Boy (08-25-2023), PeteLeathersac (06-15-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 08:30 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

i love the badges!. Great look. Actually that hill assist has been great for the training sessions with the boy. It times out after one second so it teaches him to quickly move from the brake pedal to the gas on a hill but gives him that second of stationary-ness without freaking that the car is going to roll into the guy behind you.

Reminds me of when I was 14 years old and teaching my older brother how to drive his 1969 Daytona Yellow SS396 Camaro that my dad bought him when he turned 16. He also had no idea how to drive a stick. We were at a light on a really steep hill on the Boston Post Road in Milford Connecticut. He stalled it three times when the light turned green and the old man in the pickup behind us was blasting his horn. My brother just shut the car off, jammed on the parking brake, got out and yelled at the guy "I'M JUST LEARNING HOW TO DRIVE A STICKSHIFT. CAN YOU YOU GIVE ME A BREAK HERE?

He eventually got back in and managed to launch the car successfully forward at the next green light.

And if you are wondering how a 14 year old knew how to drive a stick shift? Well, my dad was always confused which of the 5 kids was which. So when he offered to help me buy my first car at age 14 (a 1969 Z11 pace Car) I was happy to let him. It was only after we got home with my new prize that my mom walks over and says to him: "You know, he is the 14 year old. His 16 year old brother is the one that needs a car. Now go find him a car"

Here's my car at age 14 and my brother's at 16 on the day my dad brought it home...in the snow. (This is what $3,500 bought you in 1977!)
Attached Images

Last edited by njsteve; 06-16-2023 at 01:41 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
Dave Rifkin (06-17-2023), dykstra (08-08-2023), GM Powertrain (06-16-2023), L_e_e (06-16-2023), markinnaples (06-19-2023), PeteLeathersac (06-15-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 08:38 PM

This is what the ELD issue looks like in the car. Kind of looks like the gauges have been infested with giant slugs. They lengthen or shorten depending on what position the dimmer switch is in.

So if I pour a can of table salt in the defroster ducts, that should get rid of them, right?
Attached Images

Last edited by njsteve; 06-16-2023 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 02:39 AM

I’m glad he’s learning and getting acclimated to driving the car. What I liked about mine the most was how comfortable it was. I could go on long road trips and not be exhausted when I got there. That and the great retro styling they have! The only major thing I had to do to mine was replace the fuel pump but that was because it sat was more than it was drove the last 6 years I owned it. I put 19k miles on it the first year and only about a 1000 a year after that.

That’s very impressive for a first car! I’ve wanted a 69 Camaro since I was a kid but the opportunity has never been there for one. When one pops up I’ve just bought something else or it was sold a day before I get there. I’ve had my 67 Camaro since I was 13 and will never part with it but I want a 69 more than any other car. Maybe one day!
Old 06-16-2023, 12:29 PM

Back in the mid 1970's a 69 Camaro was just an 8 year old used car when we bought it. It had a 1964 327 in it and 4-speed. I didn't know anything about cars when we got it and figured it said 350 on the fender so it has to be a 350? Right? Learned everything about cars by taking it all apart and not really knowing how to put it back together, but trying anyway. Read a lot of J.C. Whitney catalogs and dreamed of ordering lots of junk from it. :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
427TJ (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 12:38 AM

Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I’ve had my 67 Camaro since I was 13 and will never part with it but I want a 69 more than any other car. Maybe one day!
Quit lusting over those overrated '69's. You already have the best year. Only year that can claim vent windows and no side markers..
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
Old 06-17-2023, 10:03 PM

The boy and I took our cars and went to a local cruise for about an hour til the rains came. This was his first solo flight with the manual transmission. One week of lessons and he's a frikken pro already. There is something to be said about initiative I guess. He REALLY wanted to learn to drive a stick, did lots of online research and followed (some of) my directions and picked it up faster than I ever did. Simply amazing. He says this car is so much more fun to drive with a stick than his 2104 Camaro with an automatic. He said he feels so much more involved in the driving experience.

There is hope for the next generation of manual transmission enthusiasts!

One of his friends stopped by in his black 2015 Challenger R/T (5.7 with an automatic) and was asking my son how the heck he figured out how to drive a stick. He just shrugged his shoulders and said it was easy. LOL
Attached Images

Last edited by njsteve; 06-17-2023 at 10:14 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
67 Nova Boy (08-25-2023), 69 Post Sedan (06-18-2023), COPO (06-19-2023), Crush (06-18-2023), dykstra (08-08-2023), L_e_e (06-18-2023), markinnaples (06-19-2023), olredalert (06-18-2023), PeteLeathersac (06-18-2023), Tenney (06-19-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
The boy and I took our cars and went to a local cruise for about an hour til the rains came. This was his first solo flight with the manual transmission. One week of lessons and he's a frikken pro already. There is something to be said about initiative I guess. He REALLY wanted to learn to drive a stick, did lots of online research and followed (some of) my directions and picked it up faster than I ever did. Simply amazing. He says this car is so much more fun to drive with a stick than his 2104 Camaro with an automatic. He said he feels so much more involved in the driving experience.

There is hope for the next generation of manual transmission enthusiasts!

One of his friends stopped by in his black 2015 Challenger R/T (5.7 with an automatic) and was asking my son how the heck he figured out how to drive a stick. He just shrugged his shoulders and said it was easy. LOL
So cool you are creating these memories! He will be telling his son how cool grandpa is!!
Old 06-20-2023, 10:10 PM

Steve this is the local car I was talking about. Not the best picture, had to take it from the median but it does show those stripes.
Attached Images

67 Nova Boy (08-25-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Quit lusting over those overrated '69's. You already have the best year. Only year that can claim vent windows and no side markers..
Haha, yeah I know, but that’s the one car I’ve wanted since I was probably 8 or 10 years old. I’d love to do a Yenko or Motion tribute and go out and enjoy the car for what the real ones were originally built for!