Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2022, 09:42 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default 1970 Trans Am 12-Bolt Axle Color

I had started a thread the other day pertaining to the correct color of the 67-69 Firebird Axle Colors. This thread is "69 F Body Rear Axle Color *Latest Consensus*"
With some great response it is easy to conclude that PONTIAC axles in that time period were shipped from PONTIAC and were bare steel and were hit with overspray of black after install into car. See the photos on that thread. So the proper restoration is Cast Gray center section and natural steel tubes and backing plates with the overspray of black.
It was also concluded that all CHEVROLET axle ship from a different axle plant and were always painted ALL BLACK. Everything except the yoke and the wheel studs.So the question is that since all 1970 Trans Ams along with 71-72 GTOs with the 455HO had CHEVROLET 12-Bolts installed it should be easy to assume that these axles were also painted ALL Black just as the Chevrolet Counter parts were. I inquire as I have been restoring a 70 RAIV TA for some time now and currently have the 12-bolt axle painted in the way you would a 67-69 Firebird or GTO i.e. Cast Gray and Natural Steel. I am thinking this is incorrect and should be ALL BLACK based on the evidence as shown on the previously mentioned thread. I know there are some TA experts out there on this forum and would love to have comments / thoughts before I post same question on PY Forums. Seems there is more expert participation on this site.
Thanks to everyone who chimes in.
RA
The Following User Says Thank You to RamAirBirds For This Useful Post:
69M22Z (12-20-2022)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry rear drum HP Cars May 68.PNG Exterior Paint Process.jpg DSC_0273.jpg 20211023_230246.jpg
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...