Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 01-04-2020, 01:05 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts

After getting the flooring removed (finally) I started dragging dirt out with my little tractor.
That's when this happened.
https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=154656

I got to split my first tractor. Actually, went pretty well with a crain and a floor jack. Easier than pulling a car transmission to replace a clutch.

BTW, tractor has performed flawlessly since. Good thing; we really needed it in the next chapter.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2020, 05:36 AM

Very cool feature, that well. A local restaurant here was doing renovations a few years back and they found an old convict-built well under the floor. Owner decided to make a feature of it, so they installed lighting down the well-shaft and put a load-bearing glass lid over it. Always draws newcomers and regulars alike for a peek down there.
Ran at Lions Dragstrip and Pomona Raceway, with paint by Bob Kovacs of Fresno.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:53 AM

Default Mezzanine

Going to back up just a bit here. When we got the building, there was a large mezzanine that was open on two sides and had this large sliding red wood door. We removed the door (I saved it and all of the antique hardware because it looks really cool) and dismantled the whole mezzanine. It was a nasty dirty job. I looked like Al Jolson in black face when we were done. Didn't think I would ever get cleaned up. At least we got it done in one day.

You can see the sliding door in one pic and just the lower part of the mezzanine in the other.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2020, 02:59 AM

I was undecided on what to do. At first I was just going to wall off that lower level and use it as my work space. Here I am shoring up some of the floor supports. The floor joists were in pretty good shape, but the stone suppors (mostly sand stone) had deteriorated over time, allowing them to sag quite a bit.

Fortunately, I decided to remove part of the wood flooring.

That brings us up to speed to March of 2019. That is when we removed the first third and discovered the well.
Attached Images

m22mike (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 01:56 PM

Doing it right Lynn! Groty work.....someone’s got to do it!!!!

Old 01-11-2020, 03:16 PM

Default Flood waters

The next two months were really interesting. I was starting to question my sanity for getting into this project. It there is an artesian well that fills up after just ½ inch of rain, that means there is a LOT of ground water. Pouring concrete over swampy land is a disaster waiting to happen. It gets worse. May was one of the wettest months in Guthrie history. Fortunately, our building was just above the area that flooded. We are just East of the RR tracks, close to the train depot. The depot and our building were safe. Everything West of the tracks flooded. Some buildings had 4 feet of water.

My warehouse is less than 100 feet from the RR tracks. These pics were taken from just the other side of the RR tracks, so about 125 feet from our warehouse.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2020, 03:26 PM

All the rain didn’t help us at all. We ended up with standing water everywhere in that floor. Oddly, the lower floor that was already concreted showed no signs of moisture. The underground spring apparently crested right where the wood floor had been. During the heavy rains, the power was out, so no sump pump was going. Here you can see the results.

Pretty discouraged at this point. On a side note, all of the support columns were leaning several degrees. Fortunately, the pilasters under neath each one had a lot of extra surface area. We repurposed some of the old floor joists to reinforce each of the support posts. We did that before the heavy rains, so the ground was wet and soft, but you could still walk on it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lynn; 01-11-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:33 PM

At first, we just cut a few shallow trenches by hand to get some of the water flowing to the drain pipe or the well. You can see evidence of some of those hand cut trenches in the pics above. I just needed to get some water moving out of there. It was either that, or stock it with fish.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:48 PM

Subscribed!
Old 01-11-2020, 11:42 PM

Got the sump pump going again, and started pumping out water. The hand dug trenches and sump pump helped start drying it out a bit.

The plan was perforated drain pipe. Sherri and I eventually trenched for 380 feet of perforated drain pipe. I started with a trench down the South side of the building, to give an exit path for the water. I had to hand dig a trench down the side of the building (no room for a trencher or mini excavator) and bore a 6 inch hole in a 13 inch thick retaining wall to shed all the water. I spent 10 hours breaking out asphalt, concrete and digging clay on Memorial Day. You can see the pipe laying in the trench in the first pic below.

In the second pic below, you can see where I cut out some of the existing slab so I could run the pipe outside that South door and down the side of the building. I have it circled.

While busting out concrete and digging, I ran into an old footer for what must have been a previous structure on the site. I had to saw cut that footer and chip the pieces out one dime size piece of concrete at a time; took two days to get deep enough. I can only saw cut 4 inches deep at a time. So, I would run a bunch of cuts, chip it out the best I could, and cut some more, until I was down a full 26 inches below grade. As soon as I got that path cleared to the pipe out the side of the building, more water started migrating out the side. At this point, I am not sure if this is going to keep me young, or make an old man out of me.
Attached Images