Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-15-2024, 08:23 PM

Interesting thread. I have a few questions, that basically ask for opinions on this whole subject. I was always under the impression that a "re-body" meant (on 1st gen Camaros for example), that the vin tag, and cowl tag was removed and installed on another, better condition body, for restoration purposes. I imagine even the partial VINs on the cowl and behind the heater are changed as well.

This of course has been discussed, debating the legality of it, because most states prohibit "any" tampering with VINs on any vehicle.... (stolen cars and parts worries).

Now, reading this thread, it seems that others consider a re-body any time even "most" of the body shell is used. But where is the line drawn?

What if you have a valuable COPO involved in a major crash, say t boned, or high speed crash into a pole sideways, or roll over crash. Rocker panels, floor, A pillars, roof, rear quarters,..etc,...all crushed beyond repair? Now, instead of gathering aftermarket parts, or paying through the roof for NOS parts, if you could find them,....you find a really nice Camaro with solid floors, rockers, quarters,.....etc,...and you decide to use all of this donor car, except for the firewall and cowl? What's the difference between removing all those original panels one by one and replacing everything separately, to the existing firewall, or attaching all those part complete in car form, to the existing firewall?