Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 02-05-2007, 12:47 AM

Default Re: '70 Chevelle SS L78 Convt.

Steve,

I just did the quick reply thing with a general observation that there appears to me to be a trend that build sheets are now fake vice real somewhat automatically. It was not meant to be a reply to any post.
Although my experience is more with Camaros, I did not really see anything suspect with fonts and codes on this one, but the interior points are certainly valid. Would not be the first time one was wrong or the configuration was changed. Again, just my two cents. Nothing more.

JB
Old 02-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

I've seen this very nice car upclose in person,and it is the real "BORN with" block.
The CON VIN is stamped down by the oil filter,(and done in typical Baltimore fashion),and the 2 buildsheets are authentic too.
This car originally was built with a red bench seat,incorrect 1969 SS396 interior door emblems as well as a 5500 dated redline tach.Chuck corrected the last two,and a later owner converted it to bucket seats & console.
Some other interesting details:
*It came with a manual top
*It's 3:55 but not a Positraction
*It's a non Flapper Cowl car,yet customer did opt for the RPO D-88 Hood & deck stripes so those are correct.

As ohhawk mentioned,the story of it's discovery & resto are documented in various past "Chevelle World" issues.
Chuck H. did a great job in documenting this resto,as well as showing it at past ACES events.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:48 PM

This car has been around a long time. Chuck had it back when there were only 5 known- the black, white, and silver ones we had in the showroom, Mike Gabbard's blue one, and Chuck's. I had conversations with Chuck on this car back then. His ride back was one that will go down in Chevelle folklore. I still have copies of the build sheets on the first 5. I sold the white one to John- he re-restored it and sold it. The silver one went down south. The black one was sold to a young man in Chicago, who took it to a few Chevelle-a-brations. He then sold it. I sold all 3 in the same year. We found another blue one that sold at Mecum last spring. I think this red car was just sold recently at auction in Florida. I lost track of all of them over the years. Because of rarity and lack of info, I think these are the most underrated Chevelles ever. Seems to me in the late 80's rixls6 and I went to Volo to check one out that they had, was in pieces. Wasn't real.(maybe that was an LS6- too long ago to remember) It was gold Rick, remember? This one has more ink on it than any other one out there.

http://www.classicmusclecars.com
Old 02-06-2007, 05:22 AM

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

Do you know where the silver one is today?
I saw it down south,before it was sold soon afterwards I was told.
I'm familiar with the ones you've mentioned and have located a total of 13 authentic/documented 1970 L-78 convertibles still standing.
Only one is a TH400.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:56 AM

The 69 SS396 door panel emblems have been noted on L-78's built at Baltimore plant for years the code shows on the build sheet as well, as does YA wheels. This car has more history and photo 's finding the car, the paper work, and its restoration than any other L-78 out there ,for some one to call it a Fake is a brave statement, however some of the now collectors were still in school when these cars came into there own. I've had many L-78's only 3 convert's including the 2 L-89 convert's I sold. All of my 70's had the B-22 SS396 emblems from day one as my LS-6 has Malibu's .

Jim
Old 02-07-2007, 02:06 AM

I have a question after reading some of the restoration article in the May/June 1996 issue of Chevelle World Magazine.

It states in the article, on page 4, that there was no ConVin found on the block anywhere. It says they checked by the oil filter and the front stamp pad.

Was it found later? Am I misreading something?

Don't text and drive.
Somebody's life may depend on it!
Old 02-07-2007, 02:22 AM

I know of one other very well known Fathom Blue 70 L78 Chevelle that had no VIN on the block. Car was one owner, 55K miles, with docs when we got it. All dates were Sept 69 with an early Dec build. Original owner verified motor was never changed. Had only Day 2 mods, Headers, Intake, Carb, M/T's etc.

1970 Chevelle Droptop
Period Correct Speed Parts
482 BBC, M22 or TH400?
Day 2 Super Stock Rocks
Old 02-07-2007, 07:13 AM

This one was an 11D,the latest sheet I have is a 12/8 car.Does anyone know what the earliest documented 70 L78 was?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:19 AM

Rixls6

As you know, I dove head first into the L-78's very early on in the 80's when I owned a coupe. Started an L78 sub-club when we all belonged to Meekin's club. At the time, they weren't worth but a fraction of what they are now, and there was much more information given freely about them. No one imagined they would reach the values they have now, so truth about these cars and their flaws was more abundant back then. I still have all my records from the 80's, and the stories, amount of documentation, etc have changed on many- coupes and convertibles. All I can tell you is I pretty much know, on the first 6 convertibles, what's right, what's not, which panels were replaced, which were repaired, what engines they had back then, what documents they had back then, etc. I sat 10 feet away from 3 of them for a year. I had extensive discussions with owners of 2 more back when they bought them and I took extensive notes, and got involved with the 6th one last year. I have copies of the build sheets for all 6 (I just found the 6th one)

Mr 70- Rick, I lost track of the Silver one completely. I'm surprised it hasn't surfaced. That was the one with the options, including power windows. There's a good story behind each one. I wish you would stop in and see me some time. I'd like to get your input on the others you've found.
Rixls6 and I spent many a day in the 80's chasing possibilities down.
I do know of one that was in the south in the late 90's. It's a fake but it's got docs. I'm not even going to mention the color. Back then, I got in trouble every time I started talking freely about the cars. I was being free with the information on these cars, and some owners of both real ones with issues and fake ones didn't like it. Now I just shut my mouth about them.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:26 AM

Jim

Which 3 L78 convertibles did you own?