Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 02-04-2007, 04:49 AM

Default Re: '70 Chevelle SS L78 Convt.

looks like real nice car
too bad the pics are not great.
would like to see the resto pics.
Peter
Old 02-04-2007, 05:01 AM

What's wrong with this picture? Through the 70's and 80's whenever I found a buildsheet in a Camaro I was working on, I thought "cool" and threw it in a drawer to look at later, which rarely came. Enter the 90's and the "analysis" years of what each plant examples of them were.
Now, everything that pops up is suspect. The hobby is so inundated with fraud, the skeptisism that it's not real is virtually automatic. With the variety of different printers and backups and different data inputters, there is probably a large number of possibilities of fonts and codes and soforth. Not every one is going to be fake. The accusations used to be entertaining, but it's getting a little stupid.
My $.02US.

JB
Old 02-04-2007, 05:07 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

[ QUOTE ]
Buildsheets look fake. Aged well but are not real. I am not going to point out what is wrong because they are getting better and better and we keep educating the scammers!

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I somehow was looking at the other red 70 ss convert buildsheet discussed under this thread. I apologize if it affected anyones jjudgement of this car. These sheets look good.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the thumbnail pics show bucket seat console interior, then the hyperlink pics show bench seat

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve brings up a very good point here.....1 set of pics show a bucket seat interior and the other set show a bench seat interior. There is no referance to interior at all on the build sheet. I have a 1970 Camaro with a build sheet and it has referance to the interior code A51= strato blk standard interior and has another code for the center console code D55. I'm certainly not saying the car is a fake by any means, but I do find it interesting that the 2 sets of pics show different interiors and that the build sheets have no referance to the interior.

1970Camaro Z28
Old 02-04-2007, 05:24 AM

jb: you responded to my post, so I presume you're talking to me. I'm not making any accusations...I'm just saying the pics in the eBay ad show a bucket seat/console interior, yet the hyperlink pics embedded in the ad show the car had a bench seat when Chuck Hansen restored it.

SS
Old 02-04-2007, 05:27 AM

Click on the series of Chevelle magazine articles posted by the seller. You'll see that it takes you through a good share of the restoration of this car. It does indicate in one of the articles that this was a bench seat car when Mr. Hanson owned it. I believe this is the "first" resto the seller refers to in his ad. Looks like someone later along the line chose sporty over originality. Seller should have indicated this in my opinion since everything else seems to be on the up and up in this ad.

Also notes in one of the articles that a buildsheet accompanied this car when Mr. Hanson owned it.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:29 AM

For what it's worth, I believe the buildsheets are real as well as the car.

The interior is supposed to be a red vinyl bench (Code 787), according to the buildsheet. Red bucket seats would be code 788.

Apparently someone decided they liked buckets better, and switched it. Personally, I would have left it the way it was.

Don't text and drive.
Somebody's life may depend on it!
Old 02-04-2007, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently someone decided they liked buckets better, and switched it. Personally, I would have left it the way it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you Rick.....I would have left it the way it was born too but never the less I would park this car in my garage with pride! Trouble is this car will sell for way more then my budget will allow for.

1970Camaro Z28
Old 02-04-2007, 10:19 PM

Does this car have the original Born with Engine?
Old 02-05-2007, 12:45 AM

Yes, it was out of the car when purchased but the previous owner had it in his garage so it was transported home via the trunk of the convertible which was driven cross country to its new home. Articles indicate everything was there except the smog pump. It had a dropped valve and some internal damage but all has been repaired in the initial restoration performed by C.Hanson. Total #'s car according to the series of articles.