Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-20-2006, 05:36 AM

Default sentimental value

I will try to keep this short.My brother bought a 68 Camaro in 1976.Kept it till his death in 2002.I tried to buy it from his widow(we dont get along).I found the car and I am trying to buy it.The guy that has it is aware of my situation.So my question is what is sentimental value worth?
The car is a White 68 RS/SS 396 4sp,Black deluxe int,guages,wood wheel,no docs but sales order,no motor,trans.Has sat since 76 in rough shape.I know I am going to pay too much but where is that line?I appreciate your input. Thanks Jeff
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 11-20-2006, 06:04 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: sentimental value

Hi Jeff.

I'm sorry about the loss of your brother. Perhaps the present owner of the car will consider your desire to get it back and determine a price which doesn't reflect a premium based on sentimental reasons. If I owned it,I would make sure you ended up getting it back for a very fair price and not worry about cashing in,especially since it needs so much work. I hope this person thinks along these lines and does the right thing for you. I know I sound idealistic but the need to profit emotionally and spirtually should take precedence over monetary gains. All he has to do is to put himself in your shoes. Good luck.

Dave
Old 11-20-2006, 06:05 AM

Since the cat is out of the bag regarding your ties to the car, back out of the deal.

Then, have a friend purchase the car for you. That is what I would do.

Good luck!
Old 11-20-2006, 03:36 PM

Only you can determine where the line is when it comes to paying too much for the car. Hopefully the current owner will consider your situation and sell it for a reasonable price rather than try to take advantage of your ties to the car. Good luck with the purchase.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:24 PM

Emotional attachment and non objective decision making with cars ( and everything ) has cost most of us including myself a lot of money. Try to not be emotionally attached to your decisions on cars regardless of your desire or fantasies. That is the line you should always keep in mind. It will save you a lot of money and additional grief when you get over the emotion and then start beating yourself up for making bad decisions.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:17 PM

I agree with 427450
Old 11-20-2006, 08:11 PM

My condolences on the loss of your brother. I agree with SMGCO on keeping the purchase objective and I hope the owner will have some empathy for your situation. Its still just a car and I'm sure your brother wouldnt want you to put yourself in a financial bind buying the car at a premium. Maybe my lighter story of an emotional vehicle transaction will put a grin on your face and put things in perspective.
I knew a real nice lady through a working relationship. She was a hard worker, mother and faithfull wife. I did'nt know he husband except by his reputation as a bit of an A hole. It came time for her oldest to head for college and through a conversation I had with her she explained that her husband had not put as much money away for college as she had expected. Her husbands solution was to sell the 67 camaro convertible that her father had bought new and she had driven to college herself and was hoping to pass down to her kids someday. I expressed my desire to buy it at a fair price for both of us and it turned out to be a very emotional transaction when she turned the keys over to me. Although it was just a standard 6 cyl with plenty of miles, each and every mile was a memory for her. After a year or two had passed I got a call from her saying that she and her husband were in the midst of a bitter divorce and her attorney would be contacting me regarding the car. It turns out that the reason "hubby" did'nt have the money in the college fund like he was supposed to was because he dark holed money to support a little "honey" on the side. The attorney calls and tells me part of the settlement was written right into the divorce that the car would be bought back at whatever it took to buy it!!! This nice lady gets her family car back in better than sold condition. "hubby" gets his mid life crisis scratched. And yes....I end up replacing the 6cyl ragtop with lets just say a significantly upgraded version I realize your situation is different but this story just points out, as I think your brother would have agreed, that cars, money, or even a little "honey" are'nt the most important things in lifes list of accomplishments. You cant take that stuff with you
69 Z11 Camaro L34/M20/3.73
Old 11-21-2006, 05:49 AM

Jeff,

Few of us have emotional attachments ( through family members )
to our cars. I have one such attachment as my SS Camaro
belonged to my Grandfather ( he owned it when it was new ).

If the emotional attachment is that strong, then do whatever
it takes to get it back. No price can be put on matters of
the heart.
Steve
Old 11-22-2006, 12:21 AM

I agree with Steve on this.Some things do not have a price tag.If you feel that strong then get it because you might regret it later.I have already lived this one with my fathers truck years ago.
Ty
Old 11-22-2006, 07:09 AM

Thank you for your input.I may have paid too much,but it is now back in the family.I will be posting soon on this car looking for its heritage.Jeff