Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 02-02-2014, 12:18 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Day 2 parts discussion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GaryC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys...I have a question about the Mickey Thompson valve/aftermarket covers...GM provided for the most part a baffle of sorts in their valve covers for obvious reason I suppose but what do you do if you want that day 2 look with those covers, or any of them really, that don't have the baffles? I remember I bought a set of Cal Customs in the 70's and with no baffles and just push in filters there was always a big mess to clean up every so often. What are you all doing to correct this or are you doing anything? At my age I really don't want to be cleaning ALL the time. </div></div>

I went from the mushroom looking breathers to the Moroso style in the picture below. No issues at all....even at 7000 rpms. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/scholar.gif[/img]

Kurt

1969 SS396 Post Sedan Delivered to Van-T Topeka KS
MCACN Day2 Concourse Gold Award

1968 Schwinn Orange Krate Original Paint
1970 Schwinn 3-Speed Deluxe Original Paint
Old 02-02-2014, 01:41 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 69 Post Sedan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GaryC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys...I have a question about the Mickey Thompson valve/aftermarket covers...GM provided for the most part a baffle of sorts in their valve covers for obvious reason I suppose but what do you do if you want that day 2 look with those covers, or any of them really, that don't have the baffles? I remember I bought a set of Cal Customs in the 70's and with no baffles and just push in filters there was always a big mess to clean up every so often. What are you all doing to correct this or are you doing anything? At my age I really don't want to be cleaning ALL the time. </div></div>

I went from the mushroom looking breathers to the Moroso style in the picture below. No issues at all....even at 7000 rpms. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/scholar.gif[/img]

Kurt </div></div>

OK guys the Day2 bug has hit me...

Now that pic brings back memories. I had the exact same set up on my 69 Z28 back in 74. The gold moroso pieces are sweet, had all the bells and whistles just like in the pic. Had an accel dual point but can't remember which one, and the monster coil, yellow accel wires, the works. Also, added the first design Edelbrock Torqer X manifold with a 750 dbl pumper and white painted BlackJack headers. Added the -140 cam, 12.5's, a little port match work and smoothing and 4.88's. I was in the USAF and only had the car about 5 years that way before I had to unload it to go overseas. I cried.

Been looking at the Accel dual points on ebay lately but don't have a clue what I should look at bidding on...any ideas will help here guys. I still haven't installed my 302 yet and I do have a new -140 cam waiting to install. The engine is all stock specs otherwise, I DON'T PLAN ON GOING TO THE EXTREME I DID IN THE 70'S THOUGH. I just pulled 4.10's out to reinstall the 3.73's and I'm staying with the M20 not an M21. What do ya think...good plan?

Too bad the older gold moroso stuff isn't being made anymore. I do have a pair of the ugly red anodized covers...not a really big fan of that color.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:56 AM

Ok...if I'm wrong let me know please...on the Accel dual point I should go with the #30100 is what I'm reading..T is for tach drive, so what is and S model? There are a few of the 30100's on ebay reasonable but just not sure of what I would be getting into with any of them...especially the 30100S.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:37 AM

Don't need the Accel dist. Just a good stock GM single point recurved. The worse thing you did was jack the back of the car up. So go get your jack back out and jack the back up again and install a set of .56's and you will be ok with the stock or 140 cam. Keep the M20 box also or you will be hurting. Hey go to .88's with a taller tire and you really will be OK, maybe even &quot;happy&quot;.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:59 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't need the Accel dist. Just a good stock GM single point recurved. The worse thing you did was jack the back of the car up. So go get your jack back out and jack the back up again and install a set of .56's and you will be ok with the stock or 140 cam. Keep the M20 box also or you will be hurting. Hey go to .88's with a taller tire and you really will be OK, maybe even &quot;happy&quot;. </div></div>

Sam...

Ok, no dual point. I do however have my 480 all ready to go and had a small body hei built by Daves Smallbody HEI's to the same specs as the 480 about 10 years. I went with the specs provided by JohnZ and a few others, so I do have two ways to go there. I really liked the 4.88's first time around but I don't want to go there now. I ran 4.56's for a while in my 66 Chevy II and like that as well too. I think the 4.10s drove me crazy with this deep rumble that always seem to remind me I was driving a truck while in the car so I went back to the 3.73's. After that the car felt like I was running 3.55's but I am use to the 3.73's now and it is quiet.

The M20 is a keeper. I didn't like the M21 for a couple of reasons but the main one was the car rattled like crazy letting the clutch out in first gear. Since I put the M20 in I've been extremely happy with the launch and shift speed between gears. Most people I new getting into the racing scene just had to have an automatic...I stuck with the 4 speed and the M20 was the best in my opinion.

OK...I guess doing a little engine dress up from stock would be the way to go, but I have the ZL2 hood and stuff. All this was added before me. I think it was a flat hood car to start and if it was still a flat hood car my decision would be an easy one. I have my eye on a chambered exhaust but I don't know much about it. I do have headers already just blasting and repaint white.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:04 AM

Hey Sam something else..I'm stuck on what head gaskets to buy for my 302 build. I have it narrowed to GM's 10105117 or the 3830711. Any suggestions here? Last I checked the pistons are .021 down from the deck surface and the heads have been lightly surface to make sure they were flat and the block has never been decked. I took a straight edge to the surface but didn't see anything gross.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:09 AM

I would ask my machine shop or engine builder. maybe the Fel Pro?
Old 02-02-2014, 11:51 AM

You'll want to pour your heads so you the actual volume of the combustion chamber is known. Typically when the block is decked, they will tell you the deck heighth. I agree with Sammy if you have those resources. There are several variables to consider, over what you had mentioned.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:53 PM

Gary, here are some gold Moroso SBC valve covers on eBay.

Moroso

Did the Edelbrock Torker X look similar to the TM2R...with the carb sitting on a angle?

1969 SS396 Post Sedan Delivered to Van-T Topeka KS
MCACN Day2 Concourse Gold Award

1968 Schwinn Orange Krate Original Paint
1970 Schwinn 3-Speed Deluxe Original Paint
Old 02-02-2014, 01:58 PM

The Fel-Pro shim gasket is 7733 Sh. A little over 4 cc smaller than the Fel pro regular 1003.