Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 01-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Ebay sellers.... lets help each other out.

I recently have had to deal with some real flakes and unreasonable people on ebay lately. How about a buddy system here to alert each other who deal in vintage parts about hard to deal with or unreasonable customers? I have plenty I could share so that others won't ever have to deal with people like this again.

-Matt
Old 01-24-2011, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Ebay sellers.... lets help each other out.

My biggest headache is people in other countrys that want me to understate the prices they paid for an item so they don't have to pay full import duties. That makes it impossible for me to insure the item for it's real worth. Had one guy put in an ebay claim that the item was not as described because I wouldn't play his game. Ended up eating the $60.00 shipping to settle the deal instead of having to take the item back and sell it all over again. I'm really close to not shipping out of country, but people in Sweden, Norway, France and Australia are really great bidders and love to buy and pay big bucks for American oe performance parts. I'm really torn.....

The next problem I have is timely delivery inside the USA, but that is out of my control once the item is shipped. I have had items get to England in three days, but then I have had other items take ten days to go the hundred and ten miles to the west side of Chicago. If it wasn't so much fun and so profitable, I'd give it up.

Luckily some of the biggest scam sellers (you instantly recognize them when you see them bid) that scare me when I sell an item, have been some of my least problems.

This isn't rocket surgery.....
Old 01-24-2011, 10:18 PM

I just had a seller charge me $10 and change to ship a thermostat housing from NJ to NY... Its not the $ that angers me, its the principle.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:47 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John Brown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My biggest headache is people in other countrys that want me to understate the prices they paid for an item so they don't have to pay full import duties.</div></div>

John, would you happen to know WHEN they charge import duty? Is it a hit-and-miss thing?

DVD's for Musclecar fans! MusclecarFilms.com
Old 01-25-2011, 12:18 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MosportGreen66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just had a seller charge me $10 and change to ship a thermostat housing from NJ to NY... Its not the $ that angers me, its the principle. </div></div>

That was you? WOW! You are the reason that I started this thread! I told you, it cost <span style="font-weight: bold">ME</span> $10.47 to ship the thermostat housing to you. Why should you have to pay anything less than what it costs me to ship it? Before you bid, you saw the shipping cost and how I was shipping the item. For any inquiring minds who would like to see who is in the wrong... Go to UPS.com and get a shipping quote. From 08094 to 10583. Exactly 1 pound boxed up. It costs $10.47. I explained this to you, with no response. I pack the item well, ship it out to you on time and then you leave me a neutral feedback and say I am unwilling to discuss and that I overpacked the item? You are the first person to ever say I packed it <span style="font-style: italic">too</span> well. I know who is being unreasonable here.... YOU.

-Matt
Old 01-25-2011, 12:41 AM

USPS Priority Mail would have been $4.80 with postage purchased online includes free delivery confirmation. . I have no reasonable UPS or FedEx services out here. USPS is the only way to go. Once you learn what box or bag to use when shipping, it's definitely the better option.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:43 AM

Not when I can never make it to the local post office. Stated directly in the auction is that I ship UPS only, no exceptions. Whats not to understand?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:58 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthBird</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John Brown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My biggest headache is people in other countrys that want me to understate the prices they paid for an item so they don't have to pay full import duties.</div></div>

John, would you happen to know WHEN they charge import duty? Is it a hit-and-miss thing?
</div></div>

I use USPS almost exclusively and whenever the package reaches the end purchaser the postal service in that country collects the appropriate tax. I never use UPS to ship to Canada because they have an exorbitant fee that they charge for handling the tax collection. I once sent a $150 dollar item to Canada by UPS and they supposedly charged $50.00 in collection fees that Canada Post would have charged $5.00 for the same procedure. As for the amounts charged, I think the percentages vary between provinces and territories. Other countrys, don't know.

This isn't rocket surgery.....
Old 01-25-2011, 02:09 AM

In the past 10 years I have Sold over 2000 items on Ebay and all i can say now is Ebay gives way to much power to the buyer.
They can lie all they want and always win a dispute but the seller is always wrong.
I have 100% feedback because i am very honest with everything i sell as i describe it bang on but you always run into a dishonest nim rod once in awhile.
I am so so tired of paying Ebay fees along with Paypal fees even though they are both owned by the same company.
I now use Forums as my number one selling venue and a local Ad source that is all free. $25 on this forum is cheap for the year.
I post firm reasonable prices and move my stuff pretty well.
Ebay is now used as my last resort because when i have the stock to long, i throw it on there at a low starting price and get rid of it.

One thing i will say is i will never ever buy anything when someone has UPS as there shipper. I don't care how rare the part is as i will just pass with the UPS shipping service.
It is a big rip off here in Canada.
Like someone mentioned here in this post,the fees are atrocious.

I know some sellers that will not shipp to Canada.
That is a pitty because if you only knew what i was going to bid and pay for something that you sold for one tenth of my max bid,you would of liked that extra gravy.

I am in Canada and my number one customers are in the USA and i have made many friends selling to them.
I guess everyone has there own ways.
My 2 cents.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:16 AM

USPS loses stuff and says oh well, the reciever has to fill out the insurance form...hell they didnt get there thing, you think there going to help you fill out a lost form......UPS or Fed Ex at least you can track the stuff and even them guys are iffy sometimes. good old swap meets are looking better all the time. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img]