Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 02-17-2024, 09:06 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default MRT CD Ignition

Hello everyone. New member first post. Though I spend a lot of time over the the amc forum. I have a question about an ignition system I was offered to buy. Due to the included paperwork I believe the gentleman’s story 100%, but am unable to find absolutely any info online about this ignition system.

It was removed from a factory backed Pro Stock AMC Gremlin sometime in the 70’s, and was on the car in the 1970-73 timeframe. If I can figure out to how post some pictures I’ll add them. However the distributor is a GM transistorized top mated to an AMC bottom with a Delco Remy Transistor ignition box. That box is then connected to a large box with a sticker that says “MRT Ignitions Capacitor Discharge Ignitions. 7309 Jamieson Ave Reseda Calif 91335”

Paperwork has it being delivered to Dennis Peck from a Mike Dombrowski and some talk about the spark plug gap. Has anyone heard of this ignition system before or have any paperwork on it?
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to LetsFNgo For This Useful Post:
big gear head (02-18-2024)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry IMG_2898.jpg IMG_2821.jpg IMG_2810.jpg IMG_2809.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-18-2024, 01:15 AM

If the original (GM) harness wiring has been cut/spliced it is scrap....Missing the correct male/female connections.....
Old 02-18-2024, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1vette View Post
If the original (GM) harness wiring has been cut/spliced it is scrap....Missing the correct male/female connections.....
Scrap as in would cause electrical interference? Or scrap because a restorer couldn’t use it? If you say the car it would all be going into a couple of spliced wires isn’t going to change much.
Attached Images

Last edited by LetsFNgo; 02-18-2024 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1vette View Post
The wiring harness has a built in resistance that is needed to make the whole system work. Any change will affect the performance, even making it possible to not work. The harness is extremely long (Corvette is) and it all has to be bundled under the fender. Tends to look messy and guys have trimmed it have better eye appeal...