Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Events > Auctions

Old 03-23-2022, 01:40 AM

Can someone help me understand the over-spray on the exhaust manifolds and water pump hoses?
2011 Corvette Z06 all stock
Previous owner of:
1970 Chevelle SS 454/M22 w/XCH crate LS-7
1970 El Camino SS 454/M22 LS-6
1970 Camaro Z-28/M22
Old 03-23-2022, 01:04 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,854 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB View Post
Can someone help me understand the over-spray on the exhaust manifolds and water pump hoses?
It is a well known fact that when the engines were painted at the Tonawanda engine plant that some of the exterior parts were installed on the engine prior to paint such as the exhaust manifolds and by-pass hose. A masking cover was put over the intake and valve covers to keep them relatively free of paint though overspray did get them on them. There are also varying degrees of overspray depending on time allotment and who was holding the gun. There are many photos on the net that show this as well as some that show several engines stacked together all with different degrees of overspray that came down the line together.

When I restore our cars I ask our customers which they prefer, a museum quality restoration or one that depicts how their car was actually built. They normally settle for something half way in between with fitment and finish usually being much better than the factory while oversprays, drips, inspection marks, etc being replicated. With this particular restoration, Mark M asked that it be restored how it would have been built in 1969 other than wanting perfect fit and finish on the body. MUCH research was done to try and replicate that build because of the significance of this particular Chevelle.

The attached photos are of the well known and documented 35 mile (at the time the photos were taken) LS6 Chevelle now in the Brother's Collection. I actually used these photos to help me in the restoration. Some like it, some don't but I try to restore them back to replicate the factory build.
Attached Images

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SS427 For This Useful Post:
1972convss454 (03-27-2022), JMB (03-26-2022), MYSTERYCHEVELLE (03-24-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 01:09 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,688 Times in 996 Posts

LOL...The only reason the Brother's sold the Pilot car is because they have the 35 mile car you used as a reference......
olredalert (03-23-2022), RPOLS3 (03-24-2022), SS427 (03-23-2022), Xplantdad (03-23-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS427 View Post
It is a well known fact that when the engines were painted at the Tonawanda engine plant that some of the exterior parts were installed on the engine prior to paint such as the exhaust manifolds and by-pass hose. A masking cover was put over the intake and valve covers to keep them relatively free of paint though overspray did get them on them. There are also varying degrees of overspray depending on time allotment and who was holding the gun. There are many photos on the net that show this as well as some that show several engines stacked together all with different degrees of overspray that came down the line together.

When I restore our cars I ask our customers which they prefer, a museum quality restoration or one that depicts how their car was actually built. They normally settle for something half way in between with fitment and finish usually being much better than the factory while oversprays, drips, inspection marks, etc being replicated. With this particular restoration, Mark M asked that it be restored how it would have been built in 1969 other than wanting perfect fit and finish on the body. MUCH research was done to try and replicate that build because of the significance of this particular Chevelle.

The attached photos are of the well known and documented 35 mile (at the time the photos were taken) LS6 Chevelle now in the Brother's Collection. I actually used these photos to help me in the restoration. Some like it, some don't but I try to restore them back to replicate the factory build.
Thanks for the clarification Rick, having grown up with these cars when they were new I just never recalled seeing this!