Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 01-14-2004, 11:06 AM

Default Re: 1967 Camaro Pace Car

AH Yes . . . technicalities . . . either not enough sleep on my part or maybe I just never paid much attention to a V6 or L6, I guess when they are only good for . . ., well not much . . ., and you only have V8 Muscle and 427's on your mind, then anything lesser . . . can slip by . . . un-noticed
Old 01-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,605 Posts

------Matt-----6 in a row make it go. Ask Clifford,LOL!!!!!!
------Are you guys contemplating any sort of modified new GTOs? I seem to be in the minority,but it looks like a great platform for one of your build-ups!.......Bill S
Old 01-14-2004, 07:51 PM

Bill,

A GTO would be cool to work on because the powertrain is great. BUT, we work with dealers, so if any of them can come up with 30 or so GTO's then we might be interested, but we don't work on street cars and therefore we might not touch a GTO for a few years, just like the new Vette coming out. Again, it will take dealers a while to get the inventory of those because they are selling as fast as they get them. Both will be on our plate I bet in a few years, unless GM wants us to do something special for a limited run. I will keep my options open. Thanks for asking . . .
Old 01-19-2004, 12:52 AM

Matt. Great time to pose this question..What significance could the dash - have thats on the trim tag at the cowl for a nose stripe thats painted at a different factory all together ( I'm to understand that the nose was painted at GM and the body at Fisher)? My buddy Mike has documented special order paint with dashes just like you..It would seem you are correct but I cannot figure out how..Did the trim tag have info that the GM guys read as well as the Fisher guys??? Charley..Question for you..It has been said that the Festival cars received clear coat over the paint..I'm been unable to find proof of this. Does 92 have clear coat? Can I bring my 400 grit paper to Carlisle and find out for myself? T
Old 01-19-2004, 12:54 AM

Oh..and what I know of this car is that it is overpriced by 10K..Still nice though
Old 01-19-2004, 09:22 AM

Matt,
You got mail. And you are long winded!
Motown
Old 01-19-2004, 09:25 AM

I wish we could find out what the - (dash) on the trim tag means for sure. Right now, it is a guess, but I can't think of anything that the - would mean otherwise. Maybe there was someone in the dept that printed the trim tags and to identify them they put a dash on there somewhere . . . it would only fit at the end of a line as the other spots were taken and it might have been easy to put one there. Maybe all these Pace Cars have a hole or something indented into them, but then again, other cars have a dash on the tag as well . . . a mystery still to this day . . .

On another note . . . anyone see a hole punch in the bottom of a trim plate ?? about the size of a 1/8" punch ?? I have seen this on many trim plates, not a ton, but more than a few . . . any ideas ??
Old 01-19-2004, 02:09 PM

I have never noticed the 1/8" punch but wasn't looking either..I'll check mine. The - does make sense for the paint to me but only if the GM plant workers also read the trim tag. Many Norwood cars that I've seen have the tag painted white as if hit with a shot of spray paint(can).If the Fisher guys read the tag and built their part with paint being the final task then why paint the tag white unless the GM side needed to read it as well (I suspect the white helped to shadow the tag imprints for better readability?)I've seen tags that were taped over and remained silver color? Another method of keeping them readable?
Old 01-19-2004, 02:12 PM

Matt and Charley..What are your thoughts on the clear coat assumption..I'm hedging towards no at this point but that throws a curve ball to the C-1 vs. 0-1 explainations
Old 01-19-2004, 02:47 PM

Thanked 1,653 Times in 486 Posts

I have been researching a similar dash that I found on my 67 Yenko Camaro trim tag and 3 other documented 67 Yenko Camaros so am also researching a little on the dash on 67 Pace cars. I am not happy with the quantity of data to make any firm conclusions but here are some theories I am working on. Some Camaro researchers tell me my dash was for special paint but I know the original owner of my car who said it had the white stripe no different then other SS Camaros. Also I would think that a dash just for paint or stripe delete would be in the paint code field of the trim tag not in the area of the 4-5 code field. On the 67 pace cars there were some factory clear coat paint cars with a 0-1 paint code where other cars had a C-1 paint code. I think the dash in the 4-5-code field was for some type of COPO. This would not be a high performance COPO but one for a fleet or special order. I have found strange trim tags on police cars, military vehicles, red cross bloodmobiles and other cars that I believe were ordered COPO not RPO. One of the Camaro books reprinted some original Chevy documents on the 67 Indy 500 program where they list 79 vehicles (Camaros, 9-pass wagons, ¾ ton trucks, and ½ ton trucks) After the list is this sentence quoted from this document “ All vehicles with the exception of the brass hat cars have already been ordered out of Central Office for delivery as follows”. Does this mean a COPO was done on these dash cars? Maybe the dash in the 4-5 field of trim tag was some type of identification mark that told the assembly plant that there were some special instructions required for this car. A dash stamped vehicle could have had an information package that traveled with the car from time of trim tag stamping. When a dash car showed up, they knew the car had some type of special instructions required for delivery. I have some of the original files from Yenko’s Canonsburg office where I found documents where Don was requesting a COPO on the 67 Camaro but it is not clear what he was asking for. I don’t think it was for hi po equipment but more for a fleet order. There are a few reasons why I think Yenko may have been allowed to COPO vs RPO some of the 67 Camaros. Don was always looking for low price on the base car for his Supercars so a fleet order may have allowed a lower price same as a fleet order of taxi cabs or phone co. cars would allow special pricing. The fleet order would allow Don to order a large quantity of L78 Camaros. It was difficult to get an L78 Camaro in 67. There were only 1140 L78 Camaros built in 67 which would be less then 3 per dealer and Yenko batch ordered about 50 L78s. Yenko’s 1967 ads specified 4 colors which also indicated some type of batch order for some of his cars. All this is my opinion from my research on the 67 Yenkos but maybe this will help someone who is researching the 67 Pace cars with dash on trim tag.