Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 07-11-2015, 07:42 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Just Moved to Italy - Looking for Beater Ferrari..

Fellas -

After two years of no musclecars in Seoul, Korea, my Uncle Sam sent me to Naples, Italy for the next 3 years. Have been here all of 10 days or so. Thought about bringing over one of my musclecars, but as the saying goes, when in Rome... Anyway, I'll have a very short commute to work (5 minutes?) so I don't need anything terribly practical. I can also import it legally back to the US if it's 25 years old.

Picked up a 99 318i BMW to get around in for now. Wife's SUV (2013 Infiniti) will be here in 80 days or so. Now I need a project or toy of some sort. Budget tops out at $30k but I'd have much better relations with the Chief Financial Officer if I kept it under $20k. I should have a large garage to work in; most of the places we have been looking at have plenty of space for my tools and a few cars. I do all my own work (including engine/trans rebuilds) except for body and paint.

The easy choice is the 1967-1975 105 series Alfa Romeo GT Junior - these can be had for around $10k for a driver, excellent aftermarket support, plenty of OEM parts available, light weight, small, lots of character. The 2.0 liter engine is a bolt in swap, and you can make 200 hp with one without too much trouble. Not bad with a 2,000 lb car. They make sweet looking cars when set up for racing, too.

I also like the 1969-1973 Fiat Dino Coupe 2.4. These were built by Ferrari in Maranello alongside the 246's. Use the same engine (2.4 V6), transmission, and some other bits, too. The Spyder's are bringing close to $100k, but you can still get a driver quality 2.4 coupe for less than $30k.

If I beat the bushes enough, I could probably find a Lamborghini Urraco or Maserat Merak for under $30k, but finding parts for these would be a nightmare.

The Ferrari 308 GT4 (no, not the Magnum PI Ferrari) prices are all over the map, but you can still find them for less than $30k too.

I'm also partial to the Sunbeam Tiger, but the real ones have jumped in price recently. Could also pick up a Sunbeam Alpine (nice ones start at $10k; $20k buys a nicely restored one), drop in a crate 347, Toploader, and 9" and call it a Faux Tiger. However, this isn't a bolt in swap. Firewall needs to be massaged, probably transmission tunnel, too, and the stock steering won't work, either.

Along the same lines of American V-8 (Mopar 383/440-4/440-6) in a European car, the Jensen Interceptors are out there for about $20k for a decent one. My main issue with these -- 98% came with slushboxes.

A roached Pantera with a blown motor might be within striking range, too.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 07-11-2015, 08:01 PM

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts
Default Re: Just Moved to Italy - Looking for Beater Ferrari..

Save up and get a Iso Rivolta. Chevy V8 powered. Tell the CFO it is a great investment
Old 07-11-2015, 08:07 PM

No advice, but I'm a little in love with those Alfa's at the top....
Old 07-11-2015, 08:21 PM

X2! I also just saw a right hand drive one when I was leaving Ocean City NJ this morning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old5.0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No advice, but I'm a little in love with those Alfa's at the top.... </div></div>
Old 07-11-2015, 11:04 PM

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

Or you can get really stupid like me and get a Iso Grifo with a 427 and a 5 speed.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:59 PM

Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,174 Posts

In my opinion, 308GT4 is just ugly. Ferrari hasn't made many ugly cars, but that one.....?

My choice would be a 5 speed 400i. Still a bit finicky (it is a Ferrari after all), but V12 power is really smooooth.
ATE brakes are easy to work on, and look just like big BMW brakes from the era.

Autos usually bring around 20k, unless they are extremely nice. Has a GM turbo 400 trans. Still a nice ride, but manual trans is much more fun.

Of course, the old adage rings true: there is nothing more expensive than a cheap exotic.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:01 AM

Eddie M should have a recommendation for you. He lived there and has an affinity for them Italian cars.
Think Eddie is in some Bacci tourney on the left coast this weekend. I'll see if I can tear him away for a quick consult.....

Old 07-12-2015, 01:37 AM

That's a classic Sam....but it wouldn't be wise to consult an inebriated Bacci player for advice, I'd wait a little while. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2015, 02:12 AM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts

LOL!
Old 07-12-2015, 05:54 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charley Lillard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save up and get a Iso Rivolta. Chevy V8 powered. Tell the CFO it is a great investment
</div></div>

Charley -

Gorgeous cars, but the CFO knows better than to listen to me when I tell her something is going to be a great investment -- my last high dollar car (70 RAIV GTO, Best Concours Restored at 2013 GTOAA Nats) sold for nearly six figures, but I took a tremendous beating on it.

Thanks,

Scott