Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > L78/L89 specific Forum

Old Today, 07:32 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default 68 L78 Nova - resto journey

Hi All,

Well here we go- purchased a 68 L78 Nova, M22, born with drivetrain, Sequoia Green and ash gold interior from a member here (Thanks Tom!) and after shipping it up to Canada, the restoration journey begins.

Many of you I’m sure know the car as Tom has posted about it before..I guess I was the right bum for the seat and I am very proud and honoured to be the next caretaker of it. So the restoration begins.

I followed the saga of the Green Bastard Restoration here and loved that documentation, so hoping to do the same here for anyone who is interested.

First pictures here are not too different from when it was down in Tom’s garage- but we’ve started the cataloguing and restoration of the parts that came with the car, bought up 15k of NOS parts (so far, a long way to go still…. ) and have the right body and paint men lined up to make it perfect. It is one of 167 produced with the M22 so it’s a special car. Will make it as original as possible- only day 2 items will be headers and exhaust (as I’m not ready to give away the horsepower!

Using NOS parts as a first choice, used original as second, and repro as a last choice only if required. This is my “forever car” and restoring it with my father (at 75 is as pumped as I am) is the best part of the journey. That’s him as we pull the engine to prep for body.

Always open to tips, tricks, advice from the experts here- especially on the 68 which seems to have 1000 “one year only parts”, plus being an L78 it is going to be an adventure.

Huge thanks to Tom selling the car to me and more importantly for his knowledge, patience, and digging for parts. Also to Jason (down the street from Tom) for his expertise, willingness to help, and some door jambs that were the first “impossible finds”. Last shout out for this first post is 427King for the 1100814 alternator (the second impossible find).
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DougsL78 For This Useful Post:
69M22Z (Today), L_e_e (Today), mnyenko (Today), Pro Stock John (Today), Tuna Joe (Today)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry Resized_20240318_105205_56562356387380.jpg IMG_1314.jpg IMG_1312.jpg IMG_0927.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old Today, 07:40 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Congratulations!! Ready to follow along.