Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Sponsors > Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals

Old 10-12-2016, 03:59 PM

Default Advice for a MCACN rookie

I'm planning to make my first pilgrimage to the Nationals this year. I already have a hotel booked. What else do I need to know? Secret handshake? Is a day enough to see everything? What about practicalities like food at the site?
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 10-12-2016, 04:43 PM

Thanked 1,042 Times in 331 Posts
Default Re: Advice for a MCACN rookie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goernie28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm planning to make my first pilgrimage to the Nationals this year. I already have a hotel booked. What else do I need to know? Secret handshake? Is a day enough to see everything? What about practicalities like food at the site? </div></div>

Great to hear you will be joining us! First and foremost, NO...one day is <span style="font-style: italic">not enough!</span> [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Seriously, wear comfortable shoes, allow plenty of time, talk to the owners and caretakers and have fun.

And start early, as we kick off into our Official Unveilings at 9:30 am Saturday morning and we have a bunch of them this year running every 15 minutes for several hours.

OK MCACN veterans....let's hear the suggestions!

Bashton
www.mcacn.com
Old 10-12-2016, 05:06 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

This will be your first of many future trips to MCACN. I have been going regularly since 2010
Got your Airfare and Hotel, shuttles from O'Hare to Rosemont Hotels run regularly.
L line to downtown just a few blocks away. Chicago has Uber which helps getting around.
Hotels like, Doubletree, Embassy and the Hyatt are just across the street and all have good restaurants.
Gibsons at the Doubletree is MCACN hangout central, careful here though most people will be talking cars!
Starbucks are on site at the convention center and it also has a cafeteria, not gourmet but fuel to keep you going if you don't want to leave the site.
There is entertainment on Saturday night at the show as well as some off site activities by invite if you make the connections.
Bring a camera and don't be shy.
Members from this site have worn name badges in the past with their SYC handle for easy identification.
Paul
68 Camaro Z28,Corvette Bronze,Houndstooth
www.vancouverclassiccars.com
Old 10-12-2016, 07:03 PM

Thanks Paul you said it very well, I know they will enjoy the MCACN gathering along with the Chicagoland entertainment &quot;IT's The Greatest Car Show On Earth&quot;.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:11 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Welcome.

2 days is not near enough time:-)

Comfy shoes!!!!

I am an uber shy guy (I am pretty chatty on sYc) but I force myself to walk up to people and talk about their cars........... sounds ridiculous but I get very nervous talking to new people. My recommendation is to shake hands with the owners of the cars you love the most. Making connections with other like minded people is more fun that the cars themselves.

Ryan

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 10-12-2016, 10:29 PM

Come by the &quot;Day2 Showcase&quot; and say hello.....I will be happy to shake your hand [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/flag.gif[/img]

Dan
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
Old 10-12-2016, 10:51 PM

I agree. I'm the same way. I'll be glad to meet you.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:05 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,576 Times in 1,137 Posts

Oh man....what kind of loaded question is that??? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] OK, I may have to comment, so you might want to pull up a chair. Where to start. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] First off, I'm a MCACN regular (only been three times) so I know a thing or two about this show! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] But in all seriousness, welcome to your new annual November pilgrimage!!!! You'll be hooked. OK, so what to bring.... Shoes? Two pair. The first one will be worn out in say, oh, about three hours. Camera? Yep, and maybe mount a Go-Pro on your head too. What about resolution settings? I chose somehwere between Hugongous and Ginormic to capture things on the cellular level. Memory cards of at LEAST 9 Bagigbytes, of which I carry seventeen. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]

But seriously, this is such a cool show!!! Behind all the hotels are some restaurants like the Hofbrau House, an Irish Pub, and a few others. Gibson's Steak House as alrewady mentioned, is right there in walking distance too. There is a shuttle that runs in a loop and will take you to the outlet mall for free from the convention center. Giordano's delivers to the hotels for the best pizza around!

Welcome to the show and see you next year...and the year after that...and after that.... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

Cheers [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2016, 06:03 PM

Thanked 1,042 Times in 331 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A12pilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh man....what kind of loaded question is that??? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] OK, I may have to comment, so you might want to pull up a chair. Where to start. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] First off, I'm a MCACN regular (only been three times) so I know a thing or two about this show! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] But in all seriousness, welcome to your new annual November pilgrimage!!!! You'll be hooked. OK, so what to bring.... Shoes? Two pair. The first one will be worn out in say, oh, about three hours. Camera? Yep, and maybe mount a Go-Pro on your head too. What about resolution settings? I chose somehwere between Hugongous and Ginormic to capture things on the cellular level. Memory cards of at LEAST 9 Bagigbytes, of which I carry seventeen. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]

But seriously, this is such a cool show!!! Behind all the hotels are some restaurants like the Hofbrau House, an Irish Pub, and a few others. Gibson's Steak House as alrewady mentioned, is right there in walking distance too. There is a shuttle that runs in a loop and will take you to the outlet mall for free from the convention center. Giordano's delivers to the hotels for the best pizza around!

Welcome to the show and see you next year...and the year after that...and after that.... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

Cheers [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img] </div></div>

And if you are nice to Mr. A12 Pilot, you may be able to get a pic with your favorite car and a certain lovely lady... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Bashton
www.mcacn.com
Old 10-17-2016, 02:17 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goernie28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm planning to make my first pilgrimage to the Nationals this year. I already have a hotel booked. What else do I need to know? Secret handshake? Is a day enough to see everything? What about practicalities like food at the site? </div></div>

Maybe the only drawback you'll have is eating convention center food. However, there are a myriad of restaurants in walking distance.

Is the Yenko.net name tag system still in play?