Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-03-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILMASBOYL78 View Post
There have been a number of nice big block Novas offered in recent years...I should know This car could be a lot nicer, but it would take some work and a lot of little fixes to make it correct. What always surprises me about these cars is the lack of knowledge shown by the people who did the work. There are so many great resources on how to do this correctly...can't understand why they don't do their homework

As for pricing, well documented and correctly restored cars will always command a premium, especially if the driveline is original. Of course, survivors are the rage, and they will bring top dollar too, if all the boxes are checked off.

-wilma
Tom,
Your L-78 is spectacular. Broadcast sheets too? Incredible!

We talked on the phone a couple years ago
Old 12-03-2020, 03:48 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Bill
That was my jab on the paint when posting the photo. Lots wrong with this car.

Mike
Old 12-03-2020, 03:51 PM

Thanked 1,622 Times in 497 Posts
Default 69 Nova...

Quote:
Originally Posted by m22mike View Post
Yea, I got that

So does this mean the front engine hook was installed after the engine was painted.........I am sorry had to do it
How about those french locks on the exhaust manifolds...must have been a mid-year option
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 12-03-2020, 03:54 PM

Thanked 3,789 Times in 1,605 Posts

----Did not notice the french locks. Good catch, Tom! Shouldn't this 69 have a smog set-up?.......Bill S
Old 12-03-2020, 04:35 PM

Post 69 Nova...

Quote:
Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
----Did not notice the french locks. Good catch, Tom! Shouldn't this 69 have a smog set-up?.......Bill S
Yes...all the 69 4 spd cars had smog.

Exterior; headlite bezels are incorrect, there should be black paint between the rocker moldings, also missing the pinstripe that goes with that trim package, no trim rings on SS wheels, looks like chrome edge is absent from fender louvers...not sure why they left all the pieces of labels on the tires ???

Interior; door panels are re-pop [no Nova emblem], Muncie shifter should have a black knob, not sure what's up with the spare...looks like a used radial on steel wheel not in the right position.

Engine bay; The radiator support rubber flap has 70 style buttons...should be the T-clip version, negative cable mounts to the engine, hood hinges are incorrectly painted black, dip stick should not be painted, lots of little hardware issues.

underside; the completely painted bottom is not correct, orange oil filter???, and the list goes on.

Could be a nice car with some major cleanup of the problems seen and others we haven't noticed yet.
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
The Following User Says Thank You to WILMASBOYL78 For This Useful Post:
ORIGLS6 (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 05:38 PM

I still would like to see the Fisher sheet that says this is a COPO. I'm a doubter...
PeteLeathersac (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68camaroz28 View Post
X2, hard to believe so many simple things were done completely wrong! Might be appealing to their eye but takes away from anything positive. And my eyes did nothing but just look at the amount of overspray on the intake and lift hooks in the engine department. Car could be so much better presented. Gee if that car sells for 80K ours has to be north of 100K LOL
Agree detailing is not real good. Overspray shouldnt be there. Painting the engine correctly on the engine stand and then bolt on intake afterwards. That catches your eye right away when you pop the hood and the engine lift brackets should of been sprayed too. Price is way to much for this Nova.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:26 PM

Thanked 4,513 Times in 2,143 Posts

'

I don't expect this subject car is anything special but as discussed in past threads, a Copo Nova could exist, not a 427 car but a Copo # 9511 w/ 4:56 or 4:88 factory rear which was required for '69 Chevrolets w/ rear axles over 4:11.
A few 9511 Camaros are known also I think Chevelle or two but the '69 Novas more elusive and one an sYc Member reported having back in one of the old threads seemed the closest X-car possibility up to then.
I'm a work so can't dig for the old threads but was it you Tom w/ the example you let go of that seemed possible also was it a factory 4:56/4:88 car or?
Again, I don't expect the subject car is anything special but would still love to see a real '69 Copo 9511 X-Body if anyone knows of any.

~ Pete

John (12-04-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 06:59 PM

Default 69 Nova...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteLeathersac View Post
'

I don't expect this subject car is anything special but as discussed in past threads, a Copo Nova could exist, not a 427 car but a Copo # 9511 w/ 4:56 or 4:88 factory rear which was required for '69 Chevrolets w/ rear axles over 4:11.
A few 9511 Camaros are known also I think Chevelle or two but the '69 Novas more elusive and one an sYc Member reported having back in one of the old threads seemed the closest X-car possibility up to then.
I'm a work so can't dig for the old threads but was it you Tom w/ the example you let go of that seemed possible also was it a factory 4:56/4:88 car or?
Again, I don't expect the subject car is anything special but would still love to see a real '69 Copo 9511 X-Body if anyone knows of any.

~ Pete

Sully had a 69 L78 Nova with the stiff gears...maybe he will chime in.
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
The Following User Says Thank You to WILMASBOYL78 For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (12-04-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 08:32 PM

Thanked 3,789 Times in 1,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RALLY View Post
Agree detailing is not real good. Overspray shouldnt be there. Painting the engine correctly on the engine stand and then bolt on intake afterwards. That catches your eye right away when you pop the hood and the engine lift brackets should of been sprayed too. Price is way to much for this Nova.
----Rally,,, To paint an aluminum intake engine the Tonowanda plant used masks or covers made out of pressed cardboard (I think). It would just sit down on the intake. After painting they piled up and were returned to the beginning of the line and were reused. They didn't fit too tight and overspray would creep around the edges. To add to that since the masks were reused they would suffer some deterioration and more overspray would get on the aluminum. On every original aluminum engine I have ever seen over the last 40 or so years there was some amount of Chevy orange but it varied from engine to engine. You can duplicate it pretty easily with a little thought, but installing the intake after the paint job would not appear factory correct. Hope this helps......Bill S
The Following User Says Thank You to olredalert For This Useful Post:
SS427 (12-04-2020)