Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 12-13-2020, 11:52 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Help with day 2 goals

Hello to all, I am in the midst of a mostly day 2 restoration of my 68 L78 Camaro. Brief history, car sold new in Tulsa, OK, orig motor long gone. My brother trailered original paint car along with owner history to Jerry M's residence, had it documented. I've got a CE 4 bolt block, machine work done, Scat stroker crank & rods, 077 alum heads, factory intake, carb and air cleaner. Problem is I live in Kansas, 100 degree plus days are common, will drive car a lot and a/c is mandatory. I don't want to spoil underhood looks, so my plan was to tuck a condenser tight to front of radiator, run hoses along bottom of rad support to right front fender, use a small Vintage Air under dash unit and install a trunk mounted electric compressor. My biggest issue is that the current draw will far exceed alternator output. I see a number of high output alternators available, and was wondering if anyone here has experience with any of them. I have a restamp 837 alternator that obviously is not up to the task. I don't really care if the alternator I use has correct numbers on it, but want one that is era correct style. Any suggestions on vendors? Thanks, Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to Rallyegreen68SS For This Useful Post:
whitetop (12-14-2020)
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-14-2020, 12:05 AM

Aluminum heads( I presume modern ones) and trunk mounted AC is not Day 2.

Day 2 is using correct for the era speed equipment, not modern resto mods.
The Following User Says Thank You to whitetop For This Useful Post:
big gear head (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 12:21 AM

Yeah, I would agree....any A/C system will not help that engine bay be real Day2 contender.
Day2 was all about installing those specialty performance parts.....making it your very own.
Just not too many cars with A/C that were Day2.... Kinda like seeing a Convertible with a roll cage

We also have hot days here in Chicago.....it's all about well maintaining the car....knowing the cars limits. If its a super hot day....I take the cars out in the evening. I prefer the cooler evening cruising.

But, it is your car....do as you please and enjoy it

Dan
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
The Following User Says Thank You to Postsedan For This Useful Post:
L_e_e (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 01:10 AM

Thanked 1,111 Times in 633 Posts

I hate to see air conditioning on these old cars, especially an original solid lifter car. I drive my Camaro and just put up with the heat.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
jerry455 (12-15-2020), L78M22Rag (12-14-2020), Rumbleguts396 (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 01:14 AM

Sorry, apparently I got off on the wrong foot (or forum!). I was a kid when these cars were new, I remember lots of slightly older friends and siblings doing whatever they could to "soup up" their cars. Aftermarket intakes, cams, headers, exhaust systems, wheels, etc. My goal is not a restomod, I've got several LT1 direct injected motors, 8 speed automatics, Tremec 6 speeds, etc that would be a cinch for me to install/tune. I'm not headed down that path. FWIW, 077 aluminum heads were offered in early 70's directly from GM as a service replacement for l88 heads. They've got a Winters snowflake, just somewhat different from the 074's they replaced. I'm not interested in a judged day 2 showcar, simply something that looks close to original with some nice updates/upgrades. Btw, Chicago may get hot, well try a high of 115 since I've lived here with humidity nearly triple digits. 60-80 days annually with 100 plus temps. I'm simply wanting input from anyone who's been down the road with an electric compressor. As far as a convertible with a rollcage, my goal is to have an L78 car that does not appear to have a/c. I don't want a compressor hung onto an L78 engine, nor do I want visible hoses, etc when the hood is opened. A trunk mounted compressor would solve that issue for me. It will simply take an alternator with enough output to run it, while trying to maintain a non a/c underhood look. While not ideal, I could even set the condenser behind the radiator, hidden by the fan shroud.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:27 AM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallyegreen68SS View Post
I've got a CE 4 bolt block, machine work done, Scat stroker crank & rods, 077 alum heads, factory intake, carb and air cleaner.Thanks, Tom
I believe those 077 heads are vintage over the counter-performance winters castings. Not a production part and would probably be as good as any worked over iron heads. I'd run them and would simply paint them orange. You can always take your alternator and send it to be rebuilt for higher amperage.

Don't think I'd be running AC myself? But, at the end of the day, shorts and flip flops are always appropriate in day 2 trim.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:22 AM

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts

Having looked into the electric 12 volt ac compressor set up, I can tell you that you need at least a 100 amp alternator.

Maybe I am a bit of an odd ball here, but I like the idea of ac on a day two "look" car. No it isn't really day 2. It would be much more enjoyable to drive in the heat.

Back to the alternator; I am not aware of any place you can send it to have it rebuilt to put out 100+ amps. My guess is you will be stuck using a more modern alternator. It will be one more concession to NOT looking period correct. But then, you are already going to have that condenser up in front of the radiator.

BTW, you CANNOT tuck that condenser in too tightly to the radiator or neither one will work efficiently. I get you are trying to hide it a bit, but overheating with crappy ac won't be much fun.

If you decide to go ahead with it, please start a tutorial thread from start to finish; good bad and ugly.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:52 PM

Might be able to get away with a rebuilt 10DN alternator to go to 60+ amps and use it to charge a Lithium-ion battery pack in the trunk to assist in running the compressor. It may not work for long haul trips, but for the usual cruise it may be fine. With enough engineering you may pull it off. I thought about getting rid of the trunk drop offs for air circulation for the condensers(two of them) and the evaporator pushing air out through a factory looking defrost vent. It would not work as well as the factory air setup, but might be enough for all but the hottest days.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:33 PM

Thanked 1,111 Times in 633 Posts

I've seen several cars lately that burned to the ground with the lithium battery being the suspected cause.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:12 PM

Wow, a ‘68 L78 Camaro wearing its original factory paint. Sounds like an awesome car! What colour? Can you share any photos?

I’m all-in for going day-two, but adding A/C to a very unique, desirable and original solid lifter car? Good luck.