Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 03-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: THE LAST??? 1967 Z-28

Hey Jonesy...I'll explain...but, believe me I am no expert at all...so Please correct me if I am wrong..

I can't seem to find the book, but I remember reading that the Shoulder harness option was only put in 400 plus cars...which makes it rarer than the Z option itself...

apparently, there are atleast 2 known (that I have heard of)67 Z-28's with VIN numbers after this car, but both are 07B cowl tag dates..(not sure about this other car that has been mentioned here as far as the cowl tag date)...so I am just guessing that there must have been some reason for my car to sit on the assembly line while other cars passed by...I'm not really sure of the order of the VIN tag, cowl tag installation and all that..

so therefore I was thinking that perhaps GM only made a very handful of the shoulder harnesses for the model year..and they were searching for parts at the end...or maybe with so few made, they just did not work on the car for a few days waiting for the shoulder belts to arrive..which would have pushed it into the next week for the trim tag..???

But, now that I think of it...it probably got the trim tag first before the belts...right?? Is that How the workers knew what to put on???

Like I said..its just a theory...I'd like to know what others think...Any better ideas????

I believe the deluxe shoulder belts were super rare also...I guess your cowl date is in line with your VIN on your car?? Or is it a little late?? Your car sounds sweeeetttt!!!! What color??

Thanks, max...
Old 03-22-2008, 08:37 PM

Thanked 2,151 Times in 669 Posts

I need to state that the owner of the highest known VIN '67 Z/28 known has never claimed it is the last and likely could not care less.

Body tag date is the date the tag was processed at Fisher Body; there was more than one machine producing them. In our CRG db which is in VIN order, 07B and 07C tag dates are interspersed. His car was built after yours, simple as that.

As there were a number of '67s built after his one or more of them could have been a Z/28. Of the 602 reportedly built less than half are accounted for. That is an enormous margin of error.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:45 PM

Hey Max...William is correct...and given the build process, your car wouldn't be assigned a later body number and ealier VIN due to a lack of seat belts. The VIN determines when the car was built, not the trim tag date.

I'm with you Jonesy...a Z project hasn't sold in quite some time. The last two publicly offered were no sales...Good luck Max! White is one of my favorite Z colors

1996 Carrera & 1993 Fat Boy
Old 03-22-2008, 09:04 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

William and Zedder,

Could both of you be a little more specific on the assignment of the VIN at the Fisher "Hole" on the Chevrolet side?

Please detail your opinion on the '67 Build sequence at Fisher, the lines that staged the bodys built immediatly on the Chevrolet side and why they were arranged in that manner, and finally the VIN assignment and the build sequence lock for final production.

Remember we are doing the '67 thing here not '68's or '69's.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:57 PM

The key is the body tag meant nothing to Chevrolet; they did not refer to it and assembled cars via body and chassis broadcast sheets. They did have to share scheduling info however and Chevy likely dictated when a certain dealer order was built. Due to the July 4 holiday Fisher probably released all the orders it had [generating the body tags] but started them per the Chevy schedule. Chevrolet assigned VINs in order as bodies were received from Fisher. Cars built later than either of the two in this discussion have 07B tags.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:24 PM

whhhattt?????

William and Yedder,

Correcr me if I'm wrong because I'm a little brain dead...

I have to assume that the cars got VIN'd in numerical order coming down the line...and at some point my car got taken off the line and other cars with later VINs passed by and got the cowl tag in 07B week. And that my car was held for a while for whatever reason until the following week when the cowl tag was made for the car...is this true??? And if so, why?? I guess it could have been anything...any missing part or paint..or???

So, the bottom line....are there any other known 67 Z's with an 07C cowl date??

Maybe only the GM Gods know this one!!! heheh

BTW....I am probably the most curious about if the car sells or not...and how much!!

Thanks Guys!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...Good luck Max! White is one of my favorite Z colors

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Mark, don't you like red...w/white..better??? hehehe

Thanks again, Max
Old 03-22-2008, 10:29 PM

http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml

This article from CRG should answer all your questions about VIN assingment.
34 Ford Sedan..Hemi powered
Michigan/ Florida
Old 03-22-2008, 10:46 PM

Your body may well have been a later produced Fisher Body... but was into Chevrolet Assembly earlier... what this means is that the other cars with the earlier Fisher cowl tags but later Chevrolet vins were the cars that were held up...
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 03-22-2008, 11:02 PM

"And that my car was held for a while for whatever reason until the following week when the cowl tag was made for the car...is this true???"

Therein lies the problem. The body tag was the first part made to a specific dealer order, installed on the cowl by Fisher body. Chevy never touched it.

Your car wasn't held up at all. The Z/28 with the earlier tag date but later VIN was.