Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 12-22-2021, 12:17 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Angry ebay tax

Well eBay started early with the tax forms, was charged 22.00 for a 300.00 item, Ohio"s 7% tax rate. guess 'I'm done buying.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-22-2021, 12:27 AM

Thanked 2,948 Times in 1,377 Posts

Most of the online sellers are now charging sales tax. The "good ol days" of tax free buying are gone.
What really pisses me off about ebay is their control over shipping costs. I was wondering why I was seeing ridiculous pricing and a seller informed that ebay now sets the cost, they have no control over it anymore. Friggen communist organization.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
Old 12-22-2021, 12:43 AM

I believe thats a state thing. If you were a seller the 200 items and 20,000 in sales is still in effect. Good ole Illinois hit me 2 years ago and i was able to contact Paypal and they told me it was a state issue as I didnt hit the 200 or 20,000. Every state is looking for money and I believe facebook is hitting people with fees too.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:05 AM

eBay only sets the shipping cost if the seller uses their shipping calculator.

Jason
Old 12-22-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Most of the online sellers are now charging sales tax. The "good ol days" of tax free buying are gone.
What really pisses me off about ebay is their control over shipping costs. I was wondering why I was seeing ridiculous pricing and a seller informed that ebay now sets the cost, they have no control over it anymore. Friggen communist organization.
Jason is correct in that the seller does have control over shipping costs if they so choose. For example, I charge $6 if I know I can send something first class.

Also, the seller has no control over sales tax. That is a state by state thing determined by where the buyer lives and not the seller.

Believe me, I am not a huge Ebay fan but I have to give credit to their shipping system. There are good discounts from the Post Office and UPS to help make the shipping a little cheaper and they make it very easy to deal with International shipping through the Global Shipping program.
65 Impala 396/425
65 Triumph TR4 Original Family Owned
Old 12-22-2021, 01:10 PM

Thanked 2,948 Times in 1,377 Posts

I needed 4 aluminum rivets to attach a front license holder for a 2006 Malibu. I found them at a dealer on ebay.. $2.43 each with $7.10 shipping. I figured the $7.10 would cover the cost of all 4, but when they were added to the cart, the shipping went to $20 and they proclaimed I had been given an $8.40 discount for a multiple purchase. I immediately dropped out of the cart and sent a request to the dealer for a shipping cost and their response was, they "have no control over that, as ebay sets the rate".

So you people are saying this is a voluntary thing the sellers can do if they are too lazy to deal with shipping costs ?

So for the buyers who just pay these crazy prices, who makes the profit on the exorbitant shipping cost ? The dealer ? I guess they would like the rate ebay sets, if so.

I did find a full bag of 10, shipped to my door for $20, plus the $1.10 tax, of course, which is charging tax on the shipping too. I see that a lot with online purchases too and request a refund from the sellers for that error.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
Old 12-22-2021, 01:40 PM

I have been charged sales tax regardless of where (country, state) comes from for a year already. I guess that out of country sales tax goes right in ebay pocket.

Just wait until you see the sellers getting 1099s - that is what has just started, or will Jan 1
Old 12-22-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinm View Post
I have been charged sales tax regardless of where (country, state) comes from for a year already. I guess that out of country sales tax goes right in ebay pocket.

Just wait until you see the sellers getting 1099s - that is what has just started, or will Jan 1

34 states charge sales tax on Ebay items. Again, the tax comes from the buyers state not the sellers. If you live in a state that has decided to jump on the tax bandwagon then you will pay sales tax if you buy something on Ebay. It does not matter where the seller lives.

The 1099's for sellers have been coming from PayPal for a few years now. Over $10,000 and 200 transactions. That was somewhat fair if you think about it. Now read the next paragraph.

Here's a new one thanks to the current administration. From Ebay "As of January 2022 the IRS will require all annual online sales over $600 to be reported using from 1099-K". So translated that means if you sell on Ebay a nicley dated 4053 carb or a couple of YH wheels you will have to report it and pay sales tax on it.

I was going to add some additional political comments but I will refrain because that is not what this forum is about.
65 Impala 396/425
65 Triumph TR4 Original Family Owned
Old 12-22-2021, 04:12 PM

You know What sucks is. I get to pay tax on my earnings at my job. I get to wear my body out and pay income tax on what I earn. I can see the outrage at paying tax on something you had on your garage shelf for years and want to make a hefty profit and not pay tax. Strange days .

Last edited by McCune; 12-22-2021 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-23-2021, 01:00 PM

To help clarify the NEW IRS rules that go into effect in 2022.
This new rule was buried in the "American Rescue Plan Act of 2021" that our current admin signed at the very start of 2021...
Ebay, Paypal, Venmo etc etc etc...Any 3rd party that handles money transactions for you will now issue a 1099-k form for the year if your sales exceed $600....Doesnt matter how many transactions...Yes...This USED to be $20,000 AND 200 transactions...That ends is lets see....8 days....
This is not for you to pay any Sales Tax as was mentioned above but to report income YOU receive...INCOME from Sales...It is then up to you to now fill out a schedule C business income and expense form and include any item COST for the actual item sold and also allows you to deduct shipping costs, Ebay Fees, packaging material, mileage to and from Post office etc, or any other overhead you have in running this "Enterprise"...They will report the total SALE which includes any shipping you charge..Not sure if the total that is reported will include Sales tax ebay collects from seller as they collect and disburse to each state on YOUR behalf...so it may not be reported in the TOTAL Sales...
Also if you sell something and it is returned the sale will still show up in the YEARLY total reported on the 1099-k and it is up to you to deduct "Returns" on your schedule C....
All of this was done in a bill that nobody read...Not you, not Me and not many of our Congress people...Just Rammed thru and most of us are only finding out now...many with just this thread...Sorry everyone....But please understand...Ebay has it faults but be 100% confident this is NOT the idea of an Paypal, Ebay, Venmo think tank....They would rather have NO reporting.....Things are happening out there that people have no idea of....Can you say 85 BILLION yes BILLION dollars going to IRS for collections (from middle class) in the proposed BBB plan....Many Thanks for Mr. Manchin for the temporary hold on this Lunacy...Read everybody....and the READ SOME MORE....
This is deep...This is real....Everyone get ready for 1099K forms in 2022 and then a personal IRS representative if and when BBB gets rammed down our.....
Also somewhere in the BBB mirage there is the plan for Bank reporting of ANY transaction that is $600 or more...IN or OUT....OUR BANK ACCOUNTS???...$600 or above???...How many of us do transactions in or out that exceed $600 in any given month...Lots i would guess...I have to explain to what those are now?
If you really read carefully above i kept this from being political...This is just real comments and back and forth about something that is important to many people in our hobby...So...should be n problems with any of these or the previous statements above..
With great Respect to SCR and all of its members...
Merry Christmas Everyone....and most importantly...STAND FIRM!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RamAirBirds For This Useful Post:
67since67 (12-23-2021), John (12-23-2021), L_e_e (12-23-2021)