Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Ebay & other seen ads section

Please note

Old 11-18-2022, 03:17 AM

I thought that was a different category, being a Motion-worked-on, so to say. I thought a Motion car was one sold after the Baldwin connection was over and either hooked up with another dealer OR Motion sold new themselves.

I wouldn’t think a car taken to Motion long after new for mods would be considered a “Motion” car. I thought this was the general consensus of reading info on here over the years…but I could be wrong.
Old 11-18-2022, 04:18 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

There is no universal definition for what constitutes a "Motion" car. It is pretty well accepted that a "Baldwin Motion" car would be a new car that had Motion modifications prior to delivery to the customer as a new car sold through the Baldwin dealership. Now what level of modifications isn't necessarily defined or universally accepted, but obviously, the more extensive the modifications, typically the higher the collectible value.

A "Motion" car would be one that has had a fairly high level of modifications performed by Motion post delivery such as swapping a 396 for a 427 engine, various suspension mods, perhaps some visual mods like stripes, hood scoop, superbite suspension, wheels, etc. A car modified as a Day 2 car versus a 5 year old used car would typically be more desirable in collector circles.

A car that had a dyno tune, or maybe a carb, intake and ignition upgrade at the Motion shop isn't going to get a lot of attention in collector circles. Motion also had a pretty sizable mail order business, so lots of cars out there that had speed parts sourced through Motion.

Bottom line, there isn't a strict definition and values are determined by the market or individual buyer, but in general a "Baldwin Motion" car is going to be the top dog and the more mods the better plus any magazine coverage back in the day is certainly going to be valuable, whereas a car with Motion mail order parts isn't really going to be move the needle on value.

The car in question if it had an L-88 427 engine swap performed by Motion fairly early in it's life plus perhaps suspension mods, hood scoop, stripes, etc would certainly have an increased collectible value over a run of the mill Camaro with similar mods from a local dealer or speed shop.

Last edited by COPO; 11-18-2022 at 04:31 AM.