Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 02-18-2020, 06:29 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Hawk,

I get it. I will rage against the dying of the light to my last breath.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:20 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I know it was talked about in the past, but with all the electric cars in our future and dwindling gas cars, the gas tax pool will be come smaller and smaller. Tax money to fix roads was normally paid at the pump. With less gas cars the taxes to will have to come from electric owners. Maybe part of the registration process.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:50 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,487 Times in 609 Posts

Maybe not a complete wipeout of the gas engine but I can see it flip flopped where it is today with gas vs elec on the road. Especially in major cities.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:27 AM

When GM pays too much to buy Tesla out, they’ll have a built in network of charging stations. I believe they have 2000, or more, charging stations and are adding new ones every day. Stations range from 10 to 50 or more charge points at each station.

I still fail to see how it’s going to work in the cities and neighbors of America. Where is the power coming from with no more fossil fuel, or nuclear power plants, let alone the infrastructure to electrify every neighborhood and home.

Hope GM knows what they’re doing, I’d hate to see them go down the tubes over this.

My company had over 250 trucks on the road every day, pickups to heavy duty service trucks. When you have guys on the road that are billed out at $150 an hour, they can’t be waiting at a charge station for their batteries to charge.

Last edited by Vern B; 02-19-2020 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:12 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Hi Gang, very interesting topic for me, for two reasons; obviously, The Car Reason and also that my day job is (partly) permitting EVCS (Electric Vehicle Charging Stations) - I work the local jurisdictions for our clients to get the facilities permitted and have done so for a few years now, about 25 sites for Tesla and more recently, another 25 for Electrify America. Previously, I permitted WTFs (cell sites) and did so for about twenty years.

Secondly, we also bought a new Chevy Bolt last June - and to echo what was previously said here, it's a great commuter car for Mrs. Anthony, as she works about six miles from home and it's been great for that - and it plugs in to our household 110 outlet, no mods necessary at all. Of course, it's a terribly slow charge at home, but in a pinch you can pay ChargePoint while you sit in a Walmart parking lot or somewhere else - in fact, she has two third party chargers at her work parking lot, but she likes to let others use those that have more of a need. I've only ran into range anxiety with it once, using it all day here in SoCal...

In fact, it was only a few days old during The LA Roadster Show last year, and we had our own impromptu "50 years of Chevrolet" display with it and The Camaro... now, that was funny!

Cheers everyone, Anthony
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2020, 03:28 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Perhaps the last time we had this much change proposed was between 1970 and 1975.

The difference then was that the Government tipped the scales with regulation causing the change and industry opposed it.

Today we have the social force behind the global Climate movement and the Paris Accord vs the US Government where the federal Government has withdrawn from the deal but several states along with several large corporations (who do business globally) are apparently still voluntarily going to comply with it.

On the bright side the price/value of a well maintained used Gas engine vehicle could be set to increase in value.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:42 PM
Banned

Might increase in the short term but I see only a select few of the gas fed cars holding value. Most will fall. To what degree? Not sure anyone knows. Let’s face it the future generations are growing smaller and smaller that have the same interests and passions for this hobby.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:43 PM
Banned

I hope I am dead and gone before a company offers an “electric swap for your musclecar..”
Old 02-19-2020, 07:58 PM

Thanked 1,364 Times in 662 Posts

I would think that for a better transition, hybrid vehicles would have been a far better approach until battery tech grows enough to allow for more range. Here in SWFL, there are only a few charging stations, so not sure how that would work for a full time EV.
John 10:30
Old 02-19-2020, 08:04 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern B View Post
I still fail to see how it’s going to work in the cities and neighbors of America. Where is the power coming from with no more fossil fuel, or nuclear power plants,
It's one or the other. All energy is the result of a nuclear reaction, either the sun's, or a human initiated reaction here. Solar, wind, fossil, hydro, gas, are all directly of indirectly a result of the sun's continuous nuclear reaction.