Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Chevrolet

Old 09-02-2016, 12:54 AM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,136 Times in 913 Posts
Default Re: Harry Mann 68 L78 / L88 Camaro

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fsc66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Send me dates, months, years it was supposed to have raced at Lion's Drag Strip. Also what was the name it raced under. I'll scour through old papers on line and see if I can find anything?

Paul Winvoices </div></div>

PM sent!
Old 09-02-2016, 02:10 AM

Thanked 5,349 Times in 1,876 Posts

Tim-The pleasure is all mine! It was nice to finally meet you and your wife last year at MCACN [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2016, 02:55 PM
SCR Sponsor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: napa68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went off on a little side project with the HM Camaro. I have enlisted the help of Billy Gould. His company (Auto Ancestry)http://www.autoancestry.com/index.html, helped me with the 63 Corvette I had a few years ago.

I was looking to fill the gap of information about the 2nd owner of the car. I suspect it may have been drag raced.

I provided Bill with what I knew already, and provided him with the contact information of the original owner, as well as Jim Yocono (AStock). Here is the email Billy sent me today............

Tim, I called both Mike and Jim. They were both helpful but without any new facts.But I do have a pretty good profile of the young man who died owning the car. I can’t make any promises but I think I have several good leads to follow. There are several places to look. First, Jim said that the man died in 70 or 71. There might be a newspaper article . Supposedly they were coming back from a drag strip or a race track. There might be a list of deaths in Santa Maria for those years. Or he might have his death recorded in a town along the way. It is possible to contact local people of the right age in Santa Maria to see if anyone remembers him. He probably went to that high school so that might be a lead. That city had a population of about 80k in 1970.

As you can see, there are lots of places to look but nothing specific. I think there is a 50-60% chance of identifying him and finding his family. I might have to hire a researcher at a modest extra cost but only if necessary and with your OK. I like to spell it all out so that you know what is required. It is an interesting search and a definite challenge.

I can offer no guarantees but will gladly take on the challenge. My fee is $300 which you can pay by personal check to Bill Gould AutoAncestry 51 Mountain Hill Rd Plymouth MA 02360 . I suspect this project may take from one to four months. Bill Gould </div></div>

We have had pretty good luck with nailing down who the second owner was. The money spent with Billy Gould was well worth it IMO. Ill copy and paste some of the emails I received from Bill.

Tim
Old 09-04-2016, 02:57 PM
SCR Sponsor

Tim, We know that the owner #2 died in 71 or 72 and prior to Dec 2 1972. We can also estimate that he was between ages 20 and 40. I searched the Social Security Death record for any man who lived in Santa Maria CA at his death, who was born between 1932 and 1952 and who died in 1971 or 1972.I got one hit. I can’t say that this is definitely our man but there is a strong possibility. I will do some further checking.This man was 25 when he died.All the facts fit well Bill Gould AutoAncestry

Name: Mike Satore
State of Issue: California
Date of Birth: Tuesday November 26, 1946
Date of Death: April 1971
Est. Age at Death: 24 years, 4 months
Last known residence:

City: Santa Maria; Garey; Sisquoc
County: Santa Barbara
State: California
ZIP Code: 93454
Old 09-04-2016, 02:59 PM
SCR Sponsor

Tim, Although this man served in Viet Nam he is not listed on the wall.

Michael G Satore

Name:

Social Security #:
55064xxxx

Birth Date:
26 Nov 1946

Birth Place:
California

Death Date:
13 Apr 1971

Death Place:
Santa Barbara

Michael Genaro Satore

Birth: Nov. 26, 1946
California, USA
Death: Apr. 13, 1971

Burial:
Santa Maria Cemetery District
Santa Maria
Santa Barbara County
California, USA

Name:
Genaro Genabe Satore

Birth Date:
26 Nov 1946

Mother's Maiden Name:
Pacheco

Birth County:

Santa Barbara
Old 09-04-2016, 03:24 PM
SCR Sponsor

Tim,
All signs lead to the fact that Mike Satore is our man. He is the only man who died in Santa Maria in 71 or 72 of the right age, and we know that he died in Santa Barbara which is between the drag strip and Santa Maria. The attached obituary only says that he died in a local hospital. He could have been injured in the crash and then lingered for a while until he died. There are names of family in the obit so I will try to make contact.I should be able to confirm if this is our man. Bill Gould

Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 8:24 PM

To: Bill Gould AutoAncestry

Subject: RE: Obituary request Santa Maria Library

Bill Gould---

We searched our Santa Maria Obituaries Database Index and we found an obituary for your request, Mike Satore, as it appeared in the Santa Maria Times, April 15, 1971. Thank you.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:26 PM
SCR Sponsor

Michael’s mother..............this is who we believe Jim Y (Astock) purchased the car from.

OFELIA PACHECO HERNANDEZ

Ofelia Pacheco Hernandez left to join our heavenly father on December 13, 2004. She was born in Penasco, New Mexico on April 29, 1922.

With the spirit of a true Trailblazer, she moved to the Central Coast in the mid-1940s. Shortly thereafter, the rest of the family followed her, including her mother, father, sisters, and cousins. She proudly drove to work in her brand new green and white 1953 Chevy. Always a starter, her mom and dad bought a red and white 1953 Chevy.

For many years, she lived and worked at Rosemary Farms in Santa Maria. She also worked at a local cooler and for the food service department at Allan Hancock College.

She was happily married to Jesus a.k.a. Chuey Hernandez for over 20 years. A lengthy illness not withstanding, she persevered and enjoyed her family and friends. They enjoyed cooking for and entertaining friends and family together. She can probably be best remembered for her love of life. Stemming from her roots and being brought up in Northern New Mexico, she loved Native American art and jewelry. Her grandmother was a full-blooded Pueblo Indian, and she was very proud of this.

She spent much of her time playing cards and doing crossword puzzles with her beloved sister, Evelyn. She loved to spend time with her grandchildren. She was so delighted when she saw their cute smiling faces.

She is survived by her loving sons, Herbert Roy Pacheco, Daniel Aguilera, and Jose Aguilera, and her daughter, Virginia P. Aguilera-Quiros. She also leaves behind grandchildren, Laura Pacheco, Brian Pacheco, Adrienne Aguilera, Freddie Aguilera, Jr., Corina Aguilera, Daniel Aguilera, Jr., Misty Aguilera, Monica Quiros, Steven Aguilera, and Ashley Pacheco. She leaves 16 great-grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews.

She was preceded in death by her sons, Fred R. Aguilera and Michael Satore.

A celebration of her life will be held on Thursday, December 16, 2004, at Dudley Hoffman Mortuary. Visitation begins at 3 p.m., and a vigil will be conducted by Father Mark Neuman beginning at 7 p.m. A scripture service will be held on Friday, December 17, 2004 at Dudley Hoffman Mortuary at 10 a.m., with a burial service at the Santa Maria Cemetery to follow.

Arrangements are under the direction of Dudley-Hoffman Mortuary and Crematory.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:18 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts

Very cool..
Old 11-29-2016, 11:55 PM
SCR Sponsor

Were back from MCACN............took the car for a little ride today (54 and sunny).............and guess what...............the master cylinder I rebuilt is going south. Honestly, I'm surprised it worked after I put a kit in it earlier this year considering how pitted the bore was.

Soooooo................I pulled it of to send it out and have it sleeved.

The WT is so faint

Old 11-30-2016, 12:21 AM
SCR Sponsor

I also though I'd snap some pics of things I have picked up recently for the car.

NOS Front brake pads

NOS Idler arm

NOS Muffler

And for the Day 2 side of things, an Edelbrock C427X Intake...

And a slightly used and then stored Holley 3bbl

My plan is to return the original heads, intake, carb, to the original L78 short block after I get everything freshened up. The only large ticket items are a pair of 842 heads for the L88 and perhaps a set of MT Super Scavenger headers for it.

Time will tell