Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Exhaust question ???

Hello!

I have a original 69 Z28. The exhaust that is on the car is very old and is not the original. It has some old Cherry Bomb mufflers on it. (not glass packs)There is really nothing wrong with the exhaust. No leaks etc...But I am really wanting something that is louder. The car does have some really old 70's headers on it.(I need to post a pic. of these to find out what they are...)

But here is my dilemmma. I would like to have a nice 2.5 inch system with a real aggressive sound. BUT, I have such an original type car that I am not sure if that would be a good idea. Any thoughts?
Does an exhaust really goof up values and such as long as the rest of the car is mostly original?
I know this is a personal prefference and its my car and I can do what I want. But then again I do not want to put something on the car that would devalue what I have. When I say original, I mean all the way down to the original starter and fuel pump. This thing just turned 78k miles and is in great shape. I know what some folks are thinking. Go with a new original style exhaust and be done with it. Well maybe that would be the smart thing to do.

I know people recommend the Gardner set up. But that is a 2.25 in system and may not be that aggressive sounding. I actually called them and he described this as being a little on the stock sounding side.

To have my cake and eat it to. I would love to have a stock appearing exhaust that just sounds nasty. But all I have found to come close to that is Flowmaster systems etc...
I have heard the chambered systems before but the old system I have sounds meaner than those in my opinion.

Sorry to ramble on here. Before its all said and done I may just need to stick with what I have....

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction or help me with a decission.

Thanks for the help!!!!!
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-12-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Exhaust question ???

Pypes - opt for the system without the crossover so that it will look more stock. It has the original style muffler, but it's got the sound that you are looking for.

www.Pypesexhaust.com
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 01-13-2007, 05:23 AM

I'm putting a gardner chambered system on my 69 SS396 Camaro. Can't imagine any exhaust system that sounds
"meaner". Hell, they banned it because it was too loud.

That's your ticket.

Steve
Old 01-13-2007, 08:02 AM

Marlin,
Thanks for the info. I called them today but they just changed their mufflers to a quieter design. Said that some folks were saying that they were just too loud. Still looking at these though. They make a beutiful system. I really need to find someone around Dallas that has this system so that I can hear it in person.

Steve,
That's your ticket?
Hmmm, well I did not mean open headers loud. Like I said, what I am looking for is very hard to describe. The chambered systems are not my taste. But thank you for your opinion.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:32 AM

I think you can go on their website and listen to the system you are looking to buy on the motor you have. Not as good as the real thing but will give you an idea how it sounds in comparison to other setups they have.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:04 PM

Remove the gasket from the headers, and bolt them back on metal to metal. This will give you the sound that you are looking for, and to look at it, nobody will notice the difference. Lots of race cars are set up like this.

COPO 9561/9737 M40 X11D80
13.37 @ 105.50 on pump gas,drove it to NATL TRAILS and back [email protected] SCR22