Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 08-05-2020, 03:34 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstgenaddict View Post
Bolt goes through one of the metal brackets in the middle of your photo then through the over axle strap and into the floor pan - - orient the metal re-enforcement with the TAB pointed towards the floor boards (UP) The TAB acts as interference against the floor pan so you do not over tighten the strap -
Firstgenaddict...

I received the hangers today. See pics. Ordered these thru NPD, but they have HEARTBEAT City printed on the box. Never have laid eyes on an OEM set, so I don't know what I need to know, if you know what I mean. Since the kit is reproduction I've been looking for pics of real OEM hangers for comparison. I really would hate to rip out the old exhaust needlessly, to find out something isn't right in the middle of the installation.

The "J" hangers just look odd to me, as in they look like they are almost folded into a "V"...normal?...Probably, since these hangers are thick, I don't believe they are meant to bend easily while shipping, so I'm thinking they are OK, but it doesn't hurt to ask if they are bent correctly. Can you tell me which is RH and LH on those?

The tailpipe hangers are easy to figure out which side, and it looks like this sheet metal type screw (see pics) is used to clamp at the tailpipe itself, shown is also an OEM hanger from another discussion with the screw still attached, but I think I'll get regular screws, washers and lock nuts for those and the LOOP clamps as well. Grade 3 or 5??

Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2020, 06:05 AM

Look at the Pics on www.gardnerexhaust.com
Old 08-05-2020, 07:13 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkbrau View Post
Look at the Pics on www.gardnerexhaust.com
Yeah. I looked at that this morning. Looks like for the tailpipe hangers they use a long threaded bolt and nut. AIM doesn't show that, but shows a shorter bolt, but that could be just they way it got drawn up. In any case I've checked out the L34/35 pages in the AIM as well as the NC8 pages. Finally gathered up the part numbers I need and headed over to the AMK site, and there are quite a few pieces not offered.

Here is a list that AMK don't have.
179816 Bolt
179820 Bolt
103320 L-washer
1363900 Screw
9431541 Screw

*Need dimensions to find alternatives.*

Here is a list of what they do have.
102634 Nut 5/16-18
9411890 Screw 1/4-20 x 5/8 AF
3922549 Screw 5/16-18 x 7/8 1/2 AF

Pretty sure I have all the part numbers.

Something else I noticed in my research for this installation... I was checking out some older posts and found that '69Z28Freak' a T.C. member from Canada modified at least one of the tailpipe hangers, and made it more round shaped versus the flats that were formed into it. Not sure if that is needed, still wondering if I would need to do this. Kinda would be nice to see some really good close ups of all 4 of those hangers installed. Gotta keep digging I suppose.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:43 AM

WOW!!! A lot of questions on this but not very many detailed pics at all. I found more people asking the same questions I'm asking in regards to the hangers, there orientation was one question, and some asking for the correct locations. I found pics with certain brackets welded to the floor in the area of the front hangers, but no one knows what they are for...are they for the front hangers?

Old 08-10-2020, 07:16 AM

Found this pic on line of the standard hanger. Can 'ANYONE' confirm that this is where the Chambered hanger goes? I know the standard uses two bolts as indicated in this pic with N10 system. The Chambered sys. indicates one bolt and I'm thinking that is the spot? One thru bolt, and the tab on the support bracket goes into either another bolt hole or a punched in hole close by. Looking to write this info down for the install project over this winter.

ANYONE?!
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2020, 10:37 AM

Thanked 136,486 Times in 22,778 Posts

No idea if any of these will help you. You be the judge.

Old thread from 2014:

https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=130333
Old 08-10-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
No idea if any of these will help you. You be the judge.

Old thread from 2014:

https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=130333
Pretty much what I've gathered already for location of the tailpipe hangers from the AIM and what online pics there are. PLENTY of overall pics all around the net, BUT, the differential gets in the way of the over axle hangers, so not much of a CLEAR view of them mounted under the floor anywhere. A comment was made that I did find researching was in regards to my last pic showing the N10 hanger, that the NC8 over axle hanger may be in the same location.

There are many many questions asked about those hangers in general. Would be a great idea to do a sticky somewhere. Lots of discussions out there, but it dies without being completed.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:12 AM

Does this help?
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkbrau View Post
Does this help?

Looks good. Passenger side?! Looks like the j hangers face towards the center of the car. I think I found someone who can provide closeups off each side. I was reading for a few hours last night, and this is the big question of them all, orientation and location of those J hangers.

Explains a lot looking at that flat bracket why it's formed that way. It's been 20 years since I hung the system in my car now, how those hangers were installed escapes me right. A comment was made that there should be 3 on each side mounting provisions.

Last edited by GaryC; 08-11-2020 at 09:09 PM.