Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 02-06-2012, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Day 2 Vega

Thanks guys.

I put one of the carbs. together. First time rebuilding one to this level. I believe it's going to look okay.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2012, 12:48 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Looks great Tracy....nice work.

Kurt

1969 SS396 Post Sedan Delivered to Van-T Topeka KS
MCACN Day2 Concourse Gold Award

1968 Schwinn Orange Krate Original Paint
1970 Schwinn 3-Speed Deluxe Original Paint
Old 02-10-2012, 01:47 AM

I know where a Vega wagon sits that has a 327, dual quad engine in it. The owner street raced it in the 70's and lost his license for awhile because of this car. Over the years I heard all sorts of stories related to this car, which I took with a grain of salt. Last summer I spoke with this guys B-I-L and he, unsolicited, told me some of the same stories. There must be some truth to how fast this car was BITD. I want to buy the car but the owner is reluctant to dig it out and sell it. I'm sure it's a time capsule of old speed parts. Maybe someday...
Old 02-10-2012, 02:18 AM

Keep the lines of communication open with the owner. I would make the occasional visit and not even bring the car up. If the guy gets to feeling good about who you are, chances are he will come off the car. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gts340</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know where a Vega wagon sits that has a 327, dual quad engine in it. The owner street raced it in the 70's and lost his license for awhile because of this car. Over the years I heard all sorts of stories related to this car, which I took with a grain of salt. Last summer I spoke with this guys B-I-L and he, unsolicited, told me some of the same stories. There must be some truth to how fast this car was BITD. I want to buy the car but the owner is reluctant to dig it out and sell it. I'm sure it's a time capsule of old speed parts. Maybe someday...</div></div>
Old 02-10-2012, 06:06 AM

I'm good friends with the owner, known him for years. I know he could use the money too. I remember seeing the car in his driveway when I was a kid. It's so buried in his garage now that it literally can't be seen. the last time I did see it, he had it full of bags of aluminum cans with a stick holding up the tailgate. It's been off the road since the late 70's I think.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:01 PM

Even if he won't sell it, it would be great to dig it out and get some pictures.
A Vega wagon that sounds much like the one you describe got me going back in the mid-80's. A friend and I were 14 and used to walk over to the Autozone parking lot that was out in town. Two Vegas came out one night. One a hatchback and the other a wagon. It was panel painted, tunnel ram small block, diamond tuck interior. Slots, 50 series tires with the quarters radiused.
I can still remember the way I felt when he fired that thing up and saw the header mufflers bouncing around and watching it burn the tires for what seemed like 100's of feet.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:23 PM

I would love to get some pictures, unfortunately this thing is DEEP in the mess that is his garage. The guy is a scrapper. It would take me a week just to get the area in front of the garage door cleared. Then another week to get to the car. I would like to make him an offer on the car, with cash in hand but I don't know exactly what shape the car is in these days. When I last saw it the thing looked solid.
I remember him saying it has 5 something gears in the back too...
I'm going to seriously work on getting this thing out this summer.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:40 AM

Tracy,

WOW! Great Build! I love Vegas. How did I ever miss this thread? You`ve got to show us a picture of that drive shaft [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/laugh.gif[/img]

Dan
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
Old 02-17-2012, 03:46 AM

Thanks.
Picked up these nos e-brake cables on Ebay.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Nice score. Some of that de-duster stuff that njsteve used on his 72TA might be helpful.