Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 04-07-2017, 01:49 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,175 Posts
Default Fuel pump woes

Really disappointed in car part quality lately. We blame a lot on off shore stuff, but even made in usa seems to be lacking quality control.

On my 68 El Camino, first fuel pump (generic parts store whatever) flooded the carb because the fuel pressure was up almost 13 psi. Everyone said to get a Carter (can't remember the number) so I ordered and installed the Carter pump. Not sure where it was made.

Fual pressure was still at 9 psi with the Carter, but at least it didn't overwhelm the needle and seat, so the car didn't flood. Ran great.

At the very end of a 300 mile journey yesterday, I start seeing smoke while hauling 7k load. Hmm, thinking maybe I am overheating the trans, even though I added a trans cooler for towing. Nope. Fuel pump is spewing oil. Had just checked oil level 70 miles out and it was completely full, now down 1 qt. What a mess.

Trying to decide if I even want to mess with another mechanical pump. On my 49 Studebaker Farm truck with almost the same engine (same came but bigger cc heads for slightly lower compression and a different dist curve) I used an electric pump. That way if the truck sits for a few days or even weeks without being started, I just kick on the pump, wait for the carb bowl to fill and it fires up in the first second.

I don't know what kind of pump I bought for the Studebaker last year, but believe it was an off shore cheapo, knowing that I would never be taking it out of town. Porbably want something dead nuts reliable for the El Camino.

Need a reliable 7 psi electric fuel pump. Prefer made in usa.

Any recommendations.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:30 PM

I've had fuel pump problems too. I installed a simple 3/8" outlet pump from NAPA on my ZZ383. It was fine for about 4 years. I started having driveability problems. I found the pump that was fine for years now putting out 9 lbs. of pressure. I now have a regulator between the pump and the carb. Runs great now. Dave
Old 04-08-2017, 12:17 AM

Pretty sure I am going to ditch the mechanical and go electric. I have a used (one month) Holley electirc pump that is about 5 years old and a regulator to go with it.

Just wanted to see what recommendations I my get.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:59 PM

Changed out the mechanical pump for a Carter electric. I noticed now, even after sitting a few days, the in line fuel filter is still full. It was apparently siphoning back down the old fuel pump. Turn on the key and wait for the bowl to fill completely (about 3 - 5 seconds) pump the gas once, and fire it up.

Took a road trip over the weekend: https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthrea...31#post1352231