Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 08-28-2009, 01:07 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: 2010 Yenko/SC Camaro

[ QUOTE ]
Yenko, Nickey, Dana, Gibb, Mr. Norms etc. is long gone. Let these new cars live on their own identity. If Berger wants to do a car fine they still have a dealership. Like Darren says....call it Camaro by: "The SCW" or "T.C. Enterprises" or "Bimbi Performance" of Chicago. Let the new cars with the new mods stand on their own. If not, it just seems to be a knock-off name of something 40 years old. Why would a 2010 camaro from a Chicago Chevy dealer or any other dealer have any clout if it says Yenko or any other long gone dealers name on it?

I agree with you Sam. Those cars should not be reproduced using those legendary names. Just my .02
Old 08-28-2009, 01:12 AM

1969 SS396 Post Sedan Delivered to Van-T Topeka KS
MCACN Day2 Concourse Gold Award

1968 Schwinn Orange Krate Original Paint
1970 Schwinn 3-Speed Deluxe Original Paint
Old 08-28-2009, 01:44 AM

Pete, I am not concern at all with competition. But since you ask, I have no intentions at this time to build a 2010 Yenko Camaro. We have no version on the drawing table at this time. However, if the opportunity arose I would consider it, but only if I had reached some type of licensing aggrement from whoever owns the rights to the name Yenko. As I stated earlier if Tom obtains an approval to use the name Yenko then at least it is legal. Then let the industry and the market decide if it’s right or wrong.
As far as the re-pop bodies as you call them, at the time I was building an inventory for Dynacorn. Dynacorn later on decided to have all bodies assembled in Taiwan and would now sell me the components for American Muscle Cars to brand name the bodies as U.S. built by American Muscle Cars. We were licensed by GM's Licensing division which including several different testing to qualify. Dynacorn then refused to sell us the components and we never got chance to build a turn key 1969 Camaro. But, what I would tell a prospectus customer is to check the laws of the state that they would be titling the vehicle in. Thanks for asking.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:00 AM
SCR Sponsor

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yenko, Nickey, Dana, Gibb, Mr. Norms etc. is long gone. Let these new cars live on their own identity. If Berger wants to do a car fine they still have a dealership. Like Darren says....call it Camaro by: "The SCW" or "T.C. Enterprises" or "Bimbi Performance" of Chicago. Let the new cars with the new mods stand on their own. If not, it just seems to be a knock-off name of something 40 years old. Why would a 2010 camaro from a Chicago Chevy dealer or any other dealer have any clout if it says Yenko or any other long gone dealers name on it?

I agree with you Sam. Those cars should not be reproduced using those legendary names. Just my .02

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just one of the great things about our country, if you don't like the idea or product offered, then you don't have to support it with your $$$$votes$$$$.

I have seen Iconic Brands brought back to life in Motorsports, some I even supported with my hard earned dollars and some I didn't.

MV Agusta

Triumph

Scarab

Indian

Just to name a few.

None of this will change what was done back in the day. This will not rewrite History. It may however bring enjoyment to the friends, families, employees, enthusiasts as well future generations, who have a pasion for these Icons and want something Modern which has a nostalgic tie to the past.

Carl Wegner wears a Nickey hat virtually every single day.

He chooses to do so because he says that no matter where in the US he travels, no matter the race track, someone is always ready to share an interesting story about the Original Nickey Chevrolet and it always brings a smile to those fortunate enough to involved with the conversation.

He is proud to be part of projects which help perpetuate these Legacies.

He was there back in the day, just like; Don Swiatek, Ronnie Kaplan, Helen Gibb, Nancy Gibb, Bob Lionberger and Lynn Yenko, Donna Mae Mimms, Mr.Ed and Mr. Norm, just to name a few, unlike many who have posted on this thread.

If you would like to try to understand the importance and significance of these Modern "commemorative" cars, why don't you just ask those who have been there themselves. I know I have!

One of the pleasures I get to experience is that not a week goes by where my family and I, do not get thanked for keeping the torches burning.

BTW, tell Ronnie Kaplan 82 years young, that the hours he spent at our shop, helping to design our dry sump system for the 427 engines last week doesn't mean anything..... He will tell you that one of the very reasons he is involved is because of the "Name" that car will carry and to quote him ,......"I don't want you to f^%dge it up..."
Old 08-28-2009, 02:25 AM

He sure has a way with words.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...... It seems to me it’s only a good idea to use the Yenko name if the idea stems from this site or if you are high ranking member of this site. Just my opinion!

[/ QUOTE ]

Salvatore, this statement surprises me, as it has not been that long ago that you were willing to pay a sponsorship fee to become one of these "high ranking members".

Jim; At the SEMA show a couple of years ago you and I had a nice visit, discussing your ’69 continuation car, as well as other Yenko related topics in general. Once I returned home, you contacted me asking if I would do a couple of things. One, you wanted to announce your ’69 project on our site, which was allowed, without censorship or a fee. Not mine, nor the club’s fault, that the car was not well received. Second, you asked if I would submit your idea to the Yenko family for their approval, which I did. Once again, not my fault that the family declined.

Why am I the bad guy now?
Old 08-28-2009, 04:41 AM

Its my understanding Stefano worked very hard and long to obtain the rights to the Nickey Chicago name. The cars are very cool and a wonderful reflection on the Nickey legacy and create a lot of excitement while bringing many fresh faces to learn about the Nickey cars back in the day. My kids would never have asked what Nickey was if I wasn't wearing the shirt around? Because Stefano and his guys are keeping the legend alive my kids and many others now know what Nickey Chevrolet was and is.

I have two Yenko Camaro's and would love to own one or two of the new ones Tom and his boys are working on. Who better than Tom and the rest of the guys behind the project to keep the Yenko name out there for this new generation of Camaro enthusiasts. Who has worked harder with this site and the reunion to keep the Yenko flame burning for future generations??? Where else can you go and find Yenko VINs and get first hand reliable information about Yenko's than here???If anyone other than Tom and his crew were involved I would have no interest. But Tom Clary and the other members of the project brings the creditablity to this project no one else has other than a surviving Yenko family member. Morever the most common question I get regarding my cars is "whats a Yenko" these new cars will not deceive anyone into thinking they are anything other than a great tribute to a great car builder named Yenko.

Keep the flames burning guys!!!!
Old 08-28-2009, 05:08 AM

I think some of you are missing the bigger picture. If we say no more Yenkos, Nickeys, Giibs, whatever, unless they are “real”, do we say the same thing about other cars from our past, such as nostalgia drag cars and Gassers, cars influenced by Old Reliable, Red Alert, Grumpy’s cars, Sox/Martin, or period built Gassers and altereds, etc? What about Hemis, Cobras, even modern street rods? IMO, no. As the values of these cars increase, both in $$ amounts and sentimental values, less and less folks are able to really enjoy their “real” cars, often times even afraid to show them. So do we just shut things down for the lack of “real” cars? I say no! Yes, when I attend a car show I prefer to see “real” musclecars, but enjoy looking at most everything, same as when I attend a nostalgia drag race, where I would rather watch cars from back in the day go down the track, but I enjoy the sights and sounds of all of the race cars. Tributes, clones, continuation cars, will never replace the real thing, but they can help our performance-based hobby survive, hopefully for future generations to enjoy.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:19 AM

Les.. I hear you. Though my grandkids think our older stuff is neat, they are really digging the 2010 Yenko. Bimbi planted the seed with those cool looking Nickey t-shirts, and now seeing the mock pics of my Yenko, are really excited. Of course they like the fact that we can actually take the 2010 "to town".
Old 08-28-2009, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who better than Tom and the rest of the guys behind the project to keep the Yenko name out there for this new generation of Camaro enthusiasts. Who has worked harder with this site and the reunion to keep the Yenko flame burning for future generations??? Where else can you go and find Yenko VINs and get first hand reliable information about Yenko's than here???If anyone other than Tom and his crew were involved I would have no interest. But Tom Clary and the other members of the project brings the creditablity to this project no one else has other than a surviving Yenko family member. Morever the most common question I get regarding my cars is "whats a Yenko" these new cars will not deceive anyone into thinking they are anything other than a great tribute to a great car builder named Yenko.

Keep the flames burning guys!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said Les. My thoughts exactly.