Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-23-2017, 02:10 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,768 Times in 747 Posts
Default Re: Barrett Jackson - Opinions?

Observations from a couple of first timers and non-bidders (my brother and I are just car guys and we went for the spectacle from Thu-Sun):

- If you are a car guy - this is definitely a must see event.
- While Barrett is certainly the Big Dog and has the carnival/circus atmosphere, we thought it was a well run event with plenty of staff and a great location where you could get inside out of the weather. After 3 days of walking around we still ran into things we did not see previously, cars or otherwise. Plenty of washrooms, good food vendors, transportation, security, etc. Well thought out.
- We were able to also go to Russo & Steele Friday morning, the Pavillions on Saturday early afternoon, and some other attractions around the area - we'd highly recommend this to really get the full effect of auction week.
- We were surprised at the lack of bidders in the evenings. On Thursday night they were telling non bidders to come in and sit in the bidders area, assumingly to fill seats for the TV coverage so it did not appear that there was no one there. We were able to sit in the 3rd row. We were also surprised that on Friday night there did not seem to be as many cars breaking above the $100k barrier - where it seemed in the past it was just the opposite - that not many on Friday night were under that $100k amount. We did not keep a spreadsheet to scientifically prove this but that was our perception. After the Steven Tyler car went off the place kind of emptied out.
- Not sure what to say about the prices, other than a lot of the people we talked too said their perception was that they were off 20-30%. Reasons we heard......maybe the supply and demand curve is changing, maybe a strong stock market, maybe it is just the normal fluctuation, maybe, this event in the past artificially inflated prices due to poorly informed non-car guys with some money paying more than market to get in the game, maybe there are more people like us that are there for the spectacle and not to buy or sell.
- As for us - we really enjoyed it and will probably make the trip again. The cars were great, but the people we were able to meet and talk to is what we enjoyed the most.

Dykstra Motorsports
Old 01-23-2017, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the post Charley.
Interesting range of prices on LS6 cars! They all sound good in the descriptions and they all look good on TV!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charley Lillard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lot 1016.1 - 1970 CHEVROLET CHEVELLE LS6
$66,000.00* No Reserve Scottsdale 2017
Excellent condition. Matching-numbers LS6 454/450hp engine with a 4-speed manual transmission. One repaint. In the LS6 Registry, photocopy of the Build Sheet and documented owner history. From the Charlie Thomas Collection.
1970 CHEVROLET CHEVELLE LS6
Lot 1054 - 1970 CHEVROLET CHEVELLE LS6
$101,200.00* No Reserve Scottsdale 2017
This LS6 was a one-owner car until 2014 and has 7,000 original miles(mileage not indicated on title).LS6 454ci engine, 400 Turbo automatic transmission and 410 12-bolt posi-traction rear end. Original Build Sheet included.
Lot 1301 - 1970 CHEVROLET CHEVELLE LS6
$264,000.00* No Reserve Scottsdale 2017
Original engine, M22 manual 4-speed transmission and 4:10 rear. Three Build Sheets. Cranberry Red with black buckets. Only test miles since well-documented rotisserie restoration in 2013.
Lot 1310 - 1970 CHEVROLET CHEVELLE LS6
$198,000.00* No Reserve Scottsdale 2017
Documented. Special-order COPO with rare Mulsanne Blue paint. M22 4-speed manual transmission. Factory ZL2 cowl induction hood. Painstakingly restored to original specs. 2016 Goodguys Muscle Car of the Year finalist. Outstanding paint.
Lot 1430 - 1970 CHEVROLET CHEVELLE LS6
$110,000.00* No Reserve Scottsdale 2017
An exceptional nut-and-bolt rotisserie restoration was completed in 2008. Heavily documented LS6 COPO with the ultra-rare and desirable LS6 454/450hp engine and close-ratio M22 4-speed manual transmission. </div></div>
Old 01-23-2017, 04:04 PM

Sorry to hear your Z didn't bring the $ you were expecting. I do remember watching it go over the block and Jerry M did try to promote it as being a really nice Z from what I recall. I guess most of the buyers are like me not very educated on what is original, NOS vs aftermarket and just buy what they like the looks of? I really did like how your car looked and I thought the colour combo with the vinyl roof looked awesome! I prefer cars with the ZL2 hood and the spoilers but that is just a personally preference.

I am surprised that BJ can find so many people willing to sell their cars at no reserve. It must be nerve racking watching your car go over the block!
Old 01-23-2017, 04:27 PM

That LS6 that sold for $66,000 sounds like a great deal?
Old 01-23-2017, 05:40 PM

I saw one mopar do well (like the yellow 440 4 spd bird). $200K I think. That seemed healthy.

Corvette resto mods did very well (yr after yr). That is where the money is.

I can't watch BJ live on TV, the commercials dominate too much. Even when reviewing the recording, there is so little to review compared to the cars that go through, it really a shame. I am 100% ready to stop having the Velocity channel on my cable bill, all I do is really pay for commercials and not enough real content (sorry for the rant).
Old 01-23-2017, 05:48 PM

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,150 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1969l78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That LS6 that sold for $66,000 sounds like a great deal? </div></div>

It has many issues &amp; incorrect parts on it,and the paint looks to be tinted wrong to be Autumn Gold to me.Heard it wasn't it's original born with engine.
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...LE-LS6--200011

I saw it sell @ Mecum Kissimmee under lot#F215 in 2013 for $68,900 &amp; that was believed to be too kind.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:54 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427.060</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought it was funny how many cars were &quot;bid&quot; up then lowered. One in particular was the General Motors Intimidator Monte Carlo. It went up to $50K, down to around $30K, down to $20K, up to $30K and sold at $25K. When the high bidder bid $25K the bid then went to $30K. They kept trying to get the guy to bid more then $30K. When he wouldn't bid any more they dropped it back to $25K and sold it to him.
James </div></div>

They spent way too much time on this car. It wasn't going to bring more than 25k but they spent another 5 minutes on it. And you couldn't drive it on the roads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Corvette resto mods did very well (yr after yr). That is where the money is.

</div></div>

Take a stock corvette, paint it monochrome, put an LS motor in it and some billet parts and an aftermarket frame and it will bring 100K more than a stock resto. Looks like the easiest way to make money.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:12 PM

Thanked 1,768 Times in 747 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fast67VelleN2O</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427.060</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought it was funny how many cars were &quot;bid&quot; up then lowered. One in particular was the General Motors Intimidator Monte Carlo. It went up to $50K, down to around $30K, down to $20K, up to $30K and sold at $25K. When the high bidder bid $25K the bid then went to $30K. They kept trying to get the guy to bid more then $30K. When he wouldn't bid any more they dropped it back to $25K and sold it to him.
James </div></div>

They spent way too much time on this car. It wasn't going to bring more than 25k but they spent another 5 minutes on it. And you couldn't drive it on the roads.

</div></div>

We were surprised that B-J thought it was a Saturday prime time worthy car.

Not sure if was mentioned on the TV coverage or not but that car actually started out as a Grand Prix - not even a Monte Carlo.

Dykstra Motorsports
Old 01-23-2017, 06:24 PM

Speaking of which... tough to understand how the '70 Hemi Challenger clone convertible that started life a COUPE was a prime time saturday afternoon car?
Old 01-23-2017, 06:29 PM

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,150 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RPOLS3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fast67VelleN2O</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427.060</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought it was funny how many cars were &quot;bid&quot; up then lowered. One in particular was the General Motors Intimidator Monte Carlo. It went up to $50K, down to around $30K, down to $20K, up to $30K and sold at $25K. When the high bidder bid $25K the bid then went to $30K. They kept trying to get the guy to bid more then $30K. When he wouldn't bid any more they dropped it back to $25K and sold it to him.
James </div></div>

</div></div>

We were surprised that B-J thought it was a Saturday prime time worthy car.

Not sure if was mentioned on the TV coverage or not but that car actually started out as a Grand Prix - not even a Monte Carlo.

</div></div>

I caught that too.
They did mention it on air,as well as it's mentioned in it's description here.
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/E...SHOW-CAR-201598