Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2022, 03:05 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts
Default 1969 Norwood Firebird introduction.

It was brought to my attention that a couple of guys who post here believe that Camaro production was actually suspended at Norwood in the spring of 1969 for the introduction of the Firebird. This information was part of a recent discussion over at the CRG.

I would ask there but I am banned.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=19672.0

Fair disclosure; multiple workers and supervisors and managers were interviewed for the book Echoes of Norwood on this exact topic and all recalled a production ratio of 4 Camaros to 1 Firebird for the start of production.

Again this week I contacted multiple different Norwood personnel who were on the line that day where I again asked about the introduction of the Firebird and the same answers with consistency were again provided:

For example line worker Gale Mains went into significant detail and recalled the exact day the Firebird entered production and further expanded his recollection stating that the builds were "not at all different" on the chassis final line, "with the exception of the doghouse build on the second floor and a minor issue with lug nuts at the multi lugger on the main line". "The rest of it was built exactly the same as the Camaro". Gale specifically recalled the introduction day and confirmed a "one to four ratio on the build the day of introduction".

So the question for Kurt and William from the Norwood personnel is how are you reaching these conclusions that Camaro production was suspended because the men who ran the plant say conclusively that that never happened.

Respectfully, they are asking me to ask you how you reached these conclusions?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 70 copo For This Useful Post:
fortim (01-08-2022), Tracker1 (01-08-2022)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry Multi Lugger.jpg IMG_7914.JPG IMG_7913.JPG IMG_7912.JPG
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...