Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 10-07-2002, 07:30 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 1,002 Times in 382 Posts
Default Re: 1966 Yenko Stinger for sale

Tim,
The verified direct Order Yenkos sold from Douglass Chevrolet carry a "Yenko" Certificate from the Copo Connection, which we all know and recognize as one of the most established and leading authorities on the Subject.

Rob,
Thanks for sharing, but if that is all the estate document says, my opinion is that you are reading in between the lines. You certainly have more info than I.

Don's statement proves that Jack Douglass sold his direct order COPOs as Yenkos with Don's Knowledge.

The Yenko Statement 100% Supports Jack Douglass' statements. It does not say that he tried to market them and failed and then installed stripes after the fact. Jack agreed to the increase in marketablity from day one.

I would venture to say that if more other dealers had figured out how to order the COPOs exactly like Yenko, they certainly would have ordered Direct and I would furthur venture to say that no one else would have sold them as Yenkos to the public at Yenko premium prices.

Brian,
We are having a important discussion regarding the history of how these cars were delivered to the consumer when new.

Why would any one want to take a Canonsberg Yenko and represent it as a Douglass Yenko? Even if someone were to try and raise the marketability of their Yenko by doing so we would have the records to prove otherwise.

Remember Jack Douglass also sold Canonsberg Yenkos as well and side by side with his direct order.

Old 10-07-2002, 07:39 PM

Thanks Rob .Is there any way can we get a list of Yenko/Douglass vins compared to DouglassYenko vins at least there'll be a distinctsion!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2002, 07:43 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Mike;
I'm not sure that you can say that $400 indicates an authorized arrangement, and $XX does not. If Don could get $400 out of Jack for the stripes, he would charge it. Why would Jack pay $400? If he didn't, he would be stuck with a bunch of COPO cars in a market where he was the exclusive dealer of sYc cars - not a good position to be in.

Yes, the cars are significantly different. Until some compelling paperwork shows up to the contrary, I believe that Yenko sold Yenko Camaro's, and Douglas sold COPO Camaros that were copies of Yenko's.
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 10-07-2002, 07:44 PM

This falls into the same catagory as the corvairs. After the origional 100, 66's then all other 66's are considered kit cars. Even though the kits were bought through Don with his blessing and him making money on them they are still kit cars and will not bring the price of an origional. After all wasn't this thread about Stingers????? [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2002, 07:48 PM

Stefano;
We know that Ed gives Cert's on the Douglas cars, what do they say - I've never seen a cert. on of them. I know that Vince Emme, also a noted authority, will not give a cert. on a Douglas car.

So, we are not the first, or only, guys to respectfully disagree on the Douglas situation.

67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 10-07-2002, 07:52 PM

Thanked 4,090 Times in 1,076 Posts

I'm still not clear on whether or not there was also a Yenko Window Sticker included with the stripes and emblems that Douglas bought from Yenko. Are there any examples out there ?
Old 10-07-2002, 07:56 PM
SCR Sponsor

Rob,
I understand and the Data is not yet complete. All the info and Documentation about my car is with Mecum auction.

There is no intent to deceive, as anyone who would call Dana or me will be given complete and accurate information, to the best of our ability. I have been called on numerous occasions inquiring about my car and have always properly disclosed its pedigree.

The Mecum family were Chevrolet Dealers at the same time as Jack Douglass and Dana who also owns the Auction as well as the Bloomington Gold Corvette venue is one of the most knowledgable Muscle Car individuals that I have ever met.

I purchased my first Douglass Yenko from his private collection. He is well versed in the Douglass ordered Yenkos and knows as much as anyone if not more, as Jack Douglass also worked for Dana Mecum.

Dana has always considered the Douglass COPOs as Yenkos just direct ordered through Douglass Chevrolet.

I appreciate all that you and you family have done for Super Cars in general and welcome this forum to discuss, learn and share info about these Great Cars.

I was taken by complete surprise regarding Tom's comments as he had never ,to my recollection said anything regarding the situation. I felt that I was being accused of missrepresentation which is very serious in my business if not all busnisses.

My family has held a dealer licence for over 20 years without a single formal complaint against it along with many very satified customers and friends.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:57 PM

Man, I was wondering how long Lillard could be quiet! Looks like not long! [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Stupid question time: did any of the Douglass cars carry stripes from the factory? If so, am I to assume that these stripes were removed to add the Yenko stripes?
Old 10-07-2002, 08:16 PM
SCR Sponsor

Marlin,
With all due respect to Vince he did not know or fully understand the Douglass Yenko situation. I know of two Douglass Yenko Camaros that he verbally verified as Berger Double COPO Camaros.

How would he be able to prove or disprove something he has no information about.

Verifiing Yenkos off of service or inventory sheets is a different situation.

This is in no way meant to discredit Mr.Emme or his knowledge regarding Don Yenko and the Cannonsberg COPOs.

Maurice,
Your question as well as many of the others have to do primarilly with value. A Yenko Stinger with a vin no matter whether Don installed it or a consumer ,is a vaild car to compete in the sactioning body SCCA racing, so by definition it is a Yenko Stinger.

The value of the Super Cars is something that I have not addressed at all as it is not relevant to the discusssion, IMO.

Charley,
No, I have not seen an original Yenko Window sticker for the Douglass Yenkos.

Old 10-07-2002, 08:23 PM
SCR Sponsor

Rob,
I have seen no pictoral Documentation and Jack is confident that the cars were delivered without stripes other than the possibility of having the X11 pinstripes which he would have removed prior to the installation of the Yenko Stripe Kit, much like Yenko could have done on his Cannonsberg X11 code cars.