Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 09-12-2016, 07:46 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Racing fuel and a real cowl tag...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SeattleCarGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsixman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SeattleCarGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Stopped at a local station after a car show in the area. These guys sell several different grades of racing fuel so I had them pump in 10 gallons of 114 leaded. </div></div>

You do not need 114 race gas in a stock L-78 bbc. It will actually slow the car down and just cost more money to purchase. I tried 110 race gas in my 68 L-78 chevelle at the BIR muscle car weekend and it slowed down. The car ran best with 100 low lead av gas and my motor made 480 hp due to a small roller cam, head work with bigger 1.88&quot; exhaust valves and headers.

It appears that you have a beautiful nova and I hope it runs as well as it looks. </div></div>

Well, in reality I was coming back from a show south of Seattle and I know of this station in the south end that sells race gas, so I figured I would buy some and then fill the rest of the tank with 92 unleaded. The car is a stock rebuilt L78 and it really only has to make enough power to get up the trailer ramp, so buying the 114 leaded (their lowest grade of leaded) was probably just a waste of money, but I was happy to treat the Nova to some good gas.

The kid filling it thought seeing the gas cap behind the license plate was the coolest thing in the world. I told him that was common in the '60's, and he really liked that. He also said that he is not supposed to pump gas into a car with license plates, but I told him it has 1969 vintage plates so that doesn't count. He bought off on that and filled her up! </div></div>

If for no other reason than it makes the exhaust, and then the closed garage smell good after a drive!