Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > COPO - United States

Old 12-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Banned

Default Re: ZL1 # 48 coming to Barrett-Jackson

Here is the pic of the stamped numbers in the cowl of the body in question and the vin rubbing from it. There is no way to tell if the numbers are really from ZL1 # 48 without close inspection. We don't know if the numbers were done by the Norwood plant or much more recently. Vin tags certainly can be made and vin #s can be stamped correctly in sheet metal. The trim tag that has been added to this body is a reproduction without the correct body number for ZL1 # 48.

Like the 5 '69 ZL1s that were titled on the same day, it is easy to create titles with no real history in Canada.

If the cowl metal is not factory and the numbers are stamped in it my vote is the numbers are all much more recent additions to a certainly later '69 produced non-ZL1 body.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Banned

Vin rubbing....
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quik9r,

Yes, this is just any '69 Camaro, it just happens to have the same numbers as ZL1 # 48 stamped in it.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,057 Times in 1,068 Posts

Do you have a picture of the fake trim tag ?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:08 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huggerorangez28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Charley does the vin always appear on the deck pad on a ZL1 motor? is it every by the oil filter like an iron block? </div></div>

My &quot;original born-with&quot; motor from my ZL-1 #34 had the &quot;original born-with&quot; VIN stamped by the oil filter. Although some cars had them on the deck also.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:33 PM

Here are the pics in raw steel of the real stamping in. The primered stamping is Not from #48
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2012, 01:37 PM

I have spoken to the owner of ZL1 # 48 today and would like to share with you his comments.

&quot;The primered car in the picture is not the #48 ZL1.
My car came to Canada in 1982 from a state that required bill of sale for title only.
Canada requires that you have the bill of sale or title, plus a K22 form for entry into Canada.
As seen in the pictures, both were provided to Canadian customs in 1982 with the wrong vin on the paper work 124371N618902
The incorrect digit is one that denotes the model year, and clearly my car is not a 71 Camaro.
If you punch in the wrong VIN the MTO will provide paper work with the correct vin 124379N618902 .That was corrected and verified in 2006.
That is why there is no previous history for the car before 2006. This IS NOT AN AIR CAR.
The rubbing shown is NOT a rubbing from my #48 car. You can note that the stamped VIN numbers are completely different from the primered Camaro photos.
As the current owner/restorer of the #48 car, I have had this car in my possession since 1982.&quot;

Because of the attempts to disprove the authenticity of this car on the SYC the owner is reconsidering offering it for sale at Barrett Jackson at this time.
He is concerned that the value of the car may have been seriously damaged by the postings by Camaromb, as well as other posters who have made unsupported allegations.
He is not prepared to risk a financial loss due to misinformation spread about the car so close to the auction date.
Mark Bulaw, your photos are of the wrong car, your information is incorrect, and your source Bill Rudow has a motive to damage the owner's reputation. People in “glass houses shouldn’t throw stones”.
Suffice to say that there appears to be a concerted effort to bring down the value this car
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2012, 03:34 PM

Thanked 1,254 Times in 352 Posts

This is a really important car! Why not just invite the experts to look at it, physical evidence, the resto pictures, the documentation, etc? Posting pics (as always) just leads to more questions - (I can think of a few questions myself based on the latest round of postings - those 2 body stampings should be EXACTLY the same). I don't know who is right &amp; who is wrong - I'd love it if another ZL1 was found!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:13 PM

Thanked 2,302 Times in 703 Posts

When the cars were trucked to the dealership two unique identifying numbers were typed on the transit paperwork. The &quot;serial number&quot; was the partial VIN; the &quot;ident number&quot; was the number on the body tag. Both numbers also appear on the window sticker and shippers' copy. All Fred Gibb Chev ZL1 Camaro paperwork still exists.

The body number shown on the &quot;trim tag&quot; above belongs to LeMans Blue ZL1 Camaro #47 N618713. It is restored and has its original tags; both unique identifying numbers match its paperwork.

ZL1 #48 would have a different number on its original body tag.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:43 AM

ok lets clarify this info. quikr9 knows the owner of #48 and has proof of owning the car and claims pics from camaromb are not pics of his #48 car. So are we talking about the same car or is there a real #48 and then a #48 made up car. If there are two different cars, people need to know this before it could really be bad for the owner of the real #48.