Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 08-17-2005, 11:22 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: ZL-1 # 40 on Ebay

Steve,
I agree 100%. "Galen said (fill in the blank)" is something you hear all the time wrt Mopars. Problem is, only about 30% of the time Galen actualy DID say it!

The word on the Cuda engine came direct from the horse's mouth, the guy from that little French town in Wisconsin, Prarie DuChen. LOL. I know it was him because he was in jeans, with a denim shirt that said "GTS", a denim jacket that said "GTS" and a denim cap that said, yep, you guessed it! Oh yeah, and he had two cameras , one phone, and a backpack full of files on Mopars. And he had a really funny handshake.

Colin
Old 08-17-2005, 11:26 PM

David clearly without question told me the car did not have the original engine and trans. Because I kept pressing him about how if they purchased it from the second owner how they could not know where the original engine was? You only have to ask two people to find that answer. The guy they bought it from and the guy he bought it from? I also asked why it needed to be repainted with only 7000 miles and again Dave didn't really know the history of the car. I had no interest in the car without the original motor so my guess is if it had it in the car at the time David would have told me?

It is certainly possible that after my conversation with David ,Galen found the motor or that David didn't know the motor had been reunited with the car at the time I spoke to him. And during one of my conversations with Galen prior to the car being sold at auction we discussed the car not having the original motor and that he was not impressed at all with the car but again it's probable that Galen reunited the motor with the car after that? This is the only sassy green 7000 mile 71 HEMI cuda with tons of paperwork I have ever discussed with anyone so I don't think I have my motors and cars mixed up but anything is possible.

And it's my opinion Galen's honesty, reputation and experience is beyond reproach since I won't buy a Mopar unless he looks at it first so any inference to the contrary is inaccurate.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:51 PM

Thanked 2,432 Times in 768 Posts

There are a bunch of people, myself included, that would prefer to have a low mileage car in its original condition, no matter how mediocre the paint may be. But the majority of collectors and or "investors" out there want perfect, hence you get low mileage cars that get full restorations. Mopar paint jobs were notoriously bad back in the 70's. Back in the day I never saw a Plum Crazy Mopar without flaking, peeling paint and factory primer showing through. It was a bad paint mix that just wouldn't stay on the cars. In the mid 80's I had an orange and white 71 Hemi Charger with a factory sunroof. The car had 33,000 miles and its original paint which was horrible. It had a factory lead repair in the quarter and paint runs you just wouldn't believe. Once the paint started flaking off the car I had no choice but to sand and repaint. But it was an interesting timepiece at the time and created many a snear at carshows when people would insult the factory paint as they would walk by.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:21 AM

Galen told me that handshake is a secret and not to be discussed. Leave it to your loose lips to discuss it on a public forum. LOL
Old 08-18-2005, 03:58 AM

Hey Les YOUR funny ! That car had the original motor and I love when people broadcast stuff like that, with NO interest of buying but to badmouth a car from here say ! The 71 Hemi Cuda's have passed a MILLION Dollars already and on more than one occasion.I have said for years that a ZL1 Camaro was going to ride in the prices of the 71 Hemi Cuda and the 69 Yenko Camaro is the 70 Hemi Cuda $$$ and that already has been done. I know there are less Camaro's but Chevy guys are a little less likely to spend money as is a Mopar collector. Not a bad thing but true, but there are very few Big dog(Chevy's) that bring the Million.You tell someone you have a 1/2 million Hemi and its sold.
If Chevy made a ZL1 Camaro CONVERTIBLE it would be the Million + Chevy.Otherwise thats the 67 L88 Vette(million dollar chevy)
That is why the 69 ZL1 Camaro,like a RS ZL1 Blue/White 4 speed will be the MILLION Dollar car and a few others and work your way down the food chain.

The car market is VERY strong and there are more buyers everyday than cars for sale !!!!

Colin's Translate this uckfa uoya LOL

Old 08-18-2005, 04:40 AM

This is all so friggin goofy. A MILLION for a muscle car??? I still don't care. One day in 20 years when my Deuce is worth a half million because Yenko Camaros are bringing two million. I will still drive in bumper to bumper traffic in the ghetto like I did this afternoon and still beat the piss out of it at SCR27. This is what they were meant to do.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:42 AM

Thanked 5,389 Times in 1,892 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
This is all so friggin goofy. A MILLION for a muscle car??? I still don't care. One day in 20 years when my Deuce is worth a half million because Yenko Camaros are bringing two million. I will still drive in bumper to bumper traffic in the ghetto like I did this afternoon and still beat the piss out of it at SCR27. This is what they were meant to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah buddy....You go Frank!
Old 08-18-2005, 04:48 AM

Saaaaay, Man, I thoughts I saw a sweeet ride rolling past my crib today. It was like a Nova or sumptin, Man, but really bad , you know. The cat had "Deuce" on the side Man like he was some hustler or sumptin. All I know is that it was one bad ride. Just wish he would have slowed down enough for me to relieve him of those ryyms he was rollin' on. I really likeded dem, they was sharp as helllll.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Saaaaay, Man, I thoughts I saw a sweeet ride rolling past my crib today. It was like a Nova or sumptin, Man, but really bad , you know. The cat had "Deuce" on the side Man like he was some hustler or sumptin. All I know is that it was one bad ride. Just wish he would have slowed down enough for me to relieve him of those ryyms he was rollin' on. I really likeded dem, they was sharp as helllll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope your a better salesman

Frank... good job for driving your muscle machine!
You take her to work on Fridays?
Old 08-18-2005, 05:12 AM

Rich,
It was not my intention to broadcast negative information or try to bad mouth that 71 HEMI cuda in any way. I spoke with David from Legendary in regard to the possible purchase of the 1971 7000 mile sassy green HEMI cuda long before it went to auction and I was discussing the possible trade in with David of several of my muscle cars to have one premium car that being the 71 HEMI cuda. During the conversation David told me it did not have the original engine or trans which ended my interest in the 71 HEMI cuda as far as I was concerned in that car. I am in the minority in regard to original engines in a car. The vast majority of buyers could care less on a documented 7000 mile car like that 71 HEMI cuda whether it has the original engine or not.

In two different conversations with Galen on other cars I was interested in we discussed the 71 HEMI cuda in passing and he never mentioned that he had found the block for that car so until today I still believed it did not have the original engine. I also talked to David after the auction which is how I know the car sold a week later for 50K higher than it sold for at auction and told him I thought that was a lot of money for a car wothout the original block and he never mentioned the block had been reunited with the car. He probably assumed I knew since I was talking to him about asking Galen too fly up and look at another one of their cars. As far as I am concerned if Galen says it now has the original engine that is more than enough for me. The matter is closed.

Furthermore if it was my understanding that the car had the original engine when I was interested in it that car would be in my garage right now and for a lot less than it sold for at the Mecum auction.

In regard to the HEMI market both my 69 HEMI charger and my 70 HEMI Challenger are for sale and I am trying to discern fact from fiction in the HEMI market in terms of a sales price for a quick sale. Therefore I am trying to distinguish truth from rumors. This sassy Green 71 HEMI cuda is the only 71 HEMI cuda I have seen go that high and has been in fact reported in a market magazine as a world record. I have searched the internet and all the auctions for further million dollar 71 HEMI cuda sales and couldn't find any. I try not to rely on chat forums and dealers for accurate information on the market. Accurate information from the sale of private transactions is hard to come by and I am looking for reliable information on the current market.

As for me if I was throwing around million dollar checks on a muscle car I would buy a ZL-1 camaro over any HEMI cuda and it seems logical that if the sale of the 71 HEMI cuda at the Mecum auction represents the market and is not an aberration then Zl-1s shoulds sell in the same range as a 71 HEMI cuda.