Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 05-16-2008, 03:44 AM

Default Re: 1966 Chevrolet Corvette 427 4 Sp Conv - Finish

Incorrect finishes?? BigBlockBoy, since you are a restorer of cars(or a professional observer), what is wrong with the frame of the car and the motor that is incorrect?? Is it the tires and rims? Don't worry they come with the car at no additional charge, just kidding. The restoration on the motor and frame were done by a very reputable mid-year Corvette shop. Like I have said before, I have no ideal about Corvettes and what is correct on them so please fill me in with what is wrong. I hate that he has paid money for something that is wrong. Also, this is a radio and heater delete car so wiring should be a breeze, right? Everything is painted on the car but the body, which will be painted within the next week and a half or so. The frame and motor and tranny have been completely redone already and all the body parts will already be painted. I just wonder why he has to start over?? I know it's not the paint because it is absolutely amazing. Also, he has the full interior and the new top also. The bumpers are brand new in the wrapping, he has the carberator, and motor pieces and all the car needs is the odd pieces like the door handles, carpet, logos, etc. The owner said the biggest thing to be purchased is the exhaust covers, they run about $1,000 a pair. I just really don't see that much that needs to be done. But your the expert not me so please let me know what it needs. Also, what documentation does the car need? I will say it again, if your actually interested in purchasing a car and taking your wallet out of your pocket, please come take a look because pictures are just that, pictures. I said in my original posting that the car will need parts to finish the car. I don't know what parts it needs, but there is a lot of parts that came off of the car originally that comes with it that can be refinished. I really don't believe that the owner has anything to hide, not at this point. He is at a point that he can't go any further with the car financially or physically. Even the restoration shop that did the frame and the motor said that if they had not purchased 2 tanker Vettes they would have bought this car back in a heartbeat because of the options it has. Anyway, I think the frame looks beautiful but thats just me. Any more professional opinions would be greatly appreciated. There is wealth of knowledge here that may stagger the fabric of time!! Also, if you need any information on the car please feel free to call Wade's Corvettes in Jacksonville, Fla. It is where the car was purchased originally. Plus, they did the frame and motor resto. Maybe you can call them also and help them out by telling them what they are doing wrong. I am sure they would appreciate it and love your professional comments.

Thanks, Jeff H.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,881 Times in 762 Posts

I'd recommend taking pictures of the factory cut outs to the birdcage for the sidepipe installation if it is a factory sidepipe car. It looks like both sides still have the dog legs attached, these are removed on factory sidepipe cars. I've seen these on factory sidepipe cars if the front clip and rear quarters are replaced. No way to tell if it is a radio and heater delete or a sidepipe car from the Warranty Plate.
That's why some "before" photos are always good for verification.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:38 PM

Tim: Any pics or drawings showing what to look for? Thanks
Old 05-16-2008, 10:17 PM

Yeah, we have before photos of the car. And it is a factory side pipe car also. It was a 184 side pipe car not the 177 like most are. Thanks for the info.

Jeff H.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:16 AM

Thanked 1,881 Times in 762 Posts

I don't, but they notched the birdcage to allow for the nuts that hold the sidepipe covers on.
They also removed the fiberglass "doglegs" that the front and rear of the rocker moldings use for attachment.
There were no rocker molding hangers spot welded to the birdcage and no evidence of spotwelds. To properly convert a car, the body needs to be pulled.
70MotionNova, I'm not sure what you mean by 184 and 177 car? The exhaust options in '66 were N11 and N14.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:50 AM

I'm not sure either, that's what he told me from the restoration shop. I am not a Vette person at all so I wrote down what he said. I appreciate it.

Thanks, Jeff
Old 05-17-2008, 12:57 AM

Something weird with this one
Old 05-17-2008, 02:08 AM

Nah, it's just denial.............lol. They make cars and airplanes that can bring you down to look at the car. Use those bonus miles up. You'll be sorry later if you don't, I guarantee. This seems really familiar to me. Reminds me of a situation where another car was posted on here before, and everybody was like this is weird or something's wrong. But, give me a week or two and you guys won't have to worry about coming down looking or buying the car, because I will. I have decided to wait on listing it on Ebay until my other car runs first. You guys have a nice weekend.

Thanks, Jeff H.