Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 07-20-2004, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Z11 Impala

FYI.....there's a gentleman in the Midwest that contacted me recently about a white Z11 that changed hands here in Iowa approx. 2 years ago. He indicated he has been working on a book dealing with this model and is trying to trace the history of the remaining known survivors. Perhaps he may visit this board and offer comments. Sounds like a interesting and challenging mission.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:01 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Pictures of total disassembly of car with pictures of prior to resto and during restoration
Lots of really cool pictures from the past of the owners and car
Old 08-06-2004, 06:12 AM

Hi Dick, that was me that inquired about the car you mention, and the book I'm working on. I was encouraged (you know who you are!) to reply to this thread to possibly promote this project a little, and to add anything constructive or helpful if I can. "Interesting & challenging" are two words that can only begin to describe this journey so far, thats for sure. If anyone that reads this is has any information, or better yet, photographs, don't hesitate to drop me a line, or send me a pm and I'll give you my home phone #.
BTW Dick, I'm off to IA on Saturday to follow up on an Iowa car. Also, I was looking through the "Other Dealers" section on this site, it was tantalizing to see the number of dealers listed that had a Z-11 sold through them.

Mark
Old 08-06-2004, 07:20 AM

Thanked 3,908 Times in 1,007 Posts

Welcome Mark, bout time you chime in. Hope all is well. I thought about you when this thread started and assumed you were somewhere in the shadows. Hope the venture is coming along well.

P.S. fill in your profile.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:27 AM

Hi Rick! Yes, all is well. A major home remodel has diverted my attention most of the summer, well I guess a good chunk of the year as it turns out, but its moving ahead, picking up speed lately. Lets chat soon!

Mark
Old 08-09-2004, 05:55 PM

Hi guys. I'm a total noob on this board (First post, go me) and I'd like to start by saying I found this place today, and LOVE it. I was actually looking for pics to post to one of the Volkswagen forum's I belong to, as we were talking about american muscle.

I have some video that may be of some interest to the guy writing the book.

The video is basically Indy, Detroit, Muncie, Kil-kare and a couple other tracks in the 60's. Most of the video is Stock Eliminator, and includes the ram chargers, Nicholson and his team mate (can't remember the name) along with Gas Rhonda, Stone, Woods and Cook, and Ohio George. The video is poor quality, as it has the staticy junk along the bottom, and the only audio is a guy telling which cars are which. I forget who made the video, but it was one of the old drag racing guys here in Dayton.

I believe Nicholson's 63 was a Z11, was it not?

I'm 'just a pup', being a 1981 model, so I can't remember ANY of this stuff, as it was 20 years before I was even born, but Vintage Dragracing is something I enjoy reading, watching, and look at pics of.

On a side note. I believe my old 63 Impala (I traded a 65 VW bug for it, then traded it back for a 65 and a 66 bug) had a Z11 hood. It was all aluminum, but had a ABS plastic hood scoop grafted on w/ fiberglass. I sold the hood at a swap meet in 2001, for $200 and bought a steel hood without the crazy scoop. I've tried to find the guy who bought the hood, but can't. IIRC he lives in Coshocton, Ohio. (I live near Dayton, Ohio.)

As far as the video goes, I have no way to make a copy, but maybe I can find a way, I will check around this week, as I would LOVE to help out.

Nick Long, Dayton ohio.

A VW man with a muscle car love.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:20 PM

Nick,

Sending you an e-mail. Thanks!

Mark
Old 08-19-2004, 04:18 AM

Default Re: Z11 Impala ZO-6 CORVETTE BRAKES!! ?

I know this car well from the McGrouter Collection in Phoenix, AZ before the current owner purchased. Doug Hughes from Phoenix did much of the restoration.
The 427 engine was the prototype 'porcupine'head unit and was quite different from a 409.The production heads patterened after this design first appeared in 65 on the new 396 Corvette. Also, take a look at the rare 63 ZO-6 heavy duty Corvette brakes on this Impala. Screened backing plates, cere-metallic linings, 15 inch wheels.....Pretty rare stuff. Only 199 ZO-6 Corvettes were made in 63 with this brake option.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2004, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Z11 Impala ZO-6 CORVETTE BRAKES!! ?

Jim,
I may be wrong, but I think you have the Z-11 engine confused with the 427 Mystery Engine. The Z-11 carries the same block casting number as all the other 409 passenger production blocks in '63, but it's stroked. The heads retain exactly the same valve arrangement as the 409; they're just taller, with raised ports. (That's not to say they're common)

Verne
Old 08-26-2004, 03:48 PM

We have a deposit
I wish some one on this website bought it !!
What a killer piece