Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 11-21-2005, 08:52 PM
SCR Sponsor

Default Re: Unique Shelby Convertible for sale

Who has been able to see/identify a complete Shelby vin with the hood installed and engine in the car. Not a very easy task IMO?
Old 11-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Not at all easy! Plus, I have never seen a complete vin stamped in a CJ block. A few have had the vin on the cylinder head "tab", and one had the last 4 digits of the vin in the valley at the rear of the block, but, very faint.

I'd like to see a picture of #2667's vin on the block for my own education if possible.

Never say never, but judging by the Registry and speaking to past owners, I would have to say the odds of this car having the original motor are not good.

Like Les said, the car will still bring big $, but, I would be concerned about the NOS parts being gone as well. This car has been the subject of rumors for years about it getting stripped of all the "good stuff", making it a Gold car as it sits and not a "Thoroughbred". To get really big $, Chip should have an inspection done by an MCA or SAAC judge to confirm the parts are there, and the present state of the car. IMHO.

Colin
Old 11-21-2005, 11:24 PM

Pretty crappy that people pass parts around just to win some kind of designation...sounds like a business someone should start...just rent parts to get a car to a certain level...
Old 11-21-2005, 11:33 PM

Yeah, then they sell the car to someone who thinks it still has Thoroughbread status and it does not. Stinks.
Thank goodness there are guys like Colin around that are honest and know these cars.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:28 AM

Les,
It is interesting to see that my car has struck up such interest. Les, I could not figure out why you kept insisting the car was sold at the Russo Steele Auction. Now I see you have corrected this and said it was an RM auction. I was wondering what I was missing, because at your suggestion Les, I spent an hour on the Russo Steele webb site looking for my car, which obviously was not there.

I spoke to the restorer of my car, who is a well known and respected Shelby restorer and a very fine gentleman. He indicated several things.

First, the engine is not original but a date correct replacement block. Also, at the owners request, he stamped the VIN in the correct place. And yes, it is difficult to find and read. You have to be a three armed Chineese contortionist with good eyesight or reading glasses but it can be done. I will try and take a picture, but I recall being told it was the original drivetrain and had no reason to doubt this when I found this VIN, which unlike Chevys, is somewhat difficult to do while making it look original.

The restorer also indicated that the ownership trail went from the man he restored it for (call him J) to Barrett Jackson, where it was sold to a man from Phoenix. Then Worldwide bought it and then I bought it. This is the ownership trail that I recall. He never mentioned the RM auction, nor have I ever heard that it was sold there. I will try and find out what really happened at the RM auction, maybe the original owner bought it back, I simply don't. I was unsuccessful today, but I will try again tomorrow to contact Worldwide and confirm the ownership trail.

With regard to parts being taken off the car, the restorer assured me that Owner J never removed any parts and sold the car at Barrett Jackson. Les, you said you knew people who had bought parts off this car. Please contact me with information that will allow me to confirm or refute this claim. This is very important, first because I want to sell a car that is as advertised, and second, because I will endeavor to purchase any parts that were sold. Les, is is not enough for you to suggest that I hire some expert to look at the car, due to the fact that you have made a public claim of specific knowledge of people and parts that have been removed. So please, contact me by phone, email, this forum, or PM with whatever specific knowledge you have.

Finally, the restorer also indicated his belief that this car is likely the most original and probably most desireable 69 GT 500 in existence. I agree.

Chip Wright 770-365-1872 or 770-856-1225
Old 11-22-2005, 06:27 AM

Hmmm..... not sure that Les has much of a burden to make any effort to help document your car/parts. I really shouldn't stick my nose in and give my .02, but the discussion is very important and has actually potentially kept you from quite a bit of grief? I understand your desire for information, and maybe Les will give you specific info......but not when demanded. The "sugar" approach may be more appropriate at this point. And, maybe in private. I doubt anyone is going to give you specific contact info of people who own this caliber of parts. Sorry, I am not taking sides or trying to pick a fight. Just sticking my nose in where it probably doesn't belong.

I feel as though I have to stick up for Les on some level because if we don't, then no one will come forward with this type of info again when someone else is either buying or selling a car. As I posted earlier, it is important that we share this info with each other without fear of being crucified. Les has been correct in many of his claims to this point, and has potentially saved a lot of potential legal headaches for both buyer and seller. Again, sorry just my thoughts.

BTW, Chip you have been an upstanding person to this point given the circumstances. Honestly, good luck with your car and if it was indeed misrepresented to you upon your purchase I hope you get the person who did that to you. Very nice car, I do believe it will and should go for record prices.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:33 AM

It looks as if Les has done enough already.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:06 PM

Hey Racefan,
As the owner of the car in quetion I have no problem with Les correcting my engine info, because I would never knowingly misrepresent a car. Also, even though it is a replacement block, date correct, one has to wonder how many SCJ engines have actually survied in their original cars - I know I would have blown mine up. Obviously, the guy who purchased my car and had the block replced with around 1000 miles did not understand the concept of "break in period."

With regard to the statements by Les that he has specific knowledge of friends buying parts and MCA judges knowing of parts missing, this is another matter. I feel like the preacher who comes home and reads on the front page of the newspaper "Les Has friends Indicating That Preacher Was Seen Drunk At the Appolo Lounge." How does the accussed preacher defend himdelf from that? The most direct and easiest way is to address the specific allegation by contacting the "friends" and see what they actually saw. I have asked Les to contact me by PM, phone, or whatever means and I will try contacting him in private. Furthermore, I will always seek and appreciate guidance about any car I own.

In closing, all I want to do is to ensure the car is as good as it can be, or as good as it was when it was shown and last judged. If that requires me spending money to find NOS parts I will do so, as long as I own the car. But first I need to find out if parts were removed, and Les has indicatd he has specific knowledge that can help me determine that. In the meantime, I would also really like to know what happened between Barrett Jackson and when I bought the car.

Chip Wright 770-365-1872 or 770-956-1225
Old 11-22-2005, 06:01 PM

All I am saying is that it is difficult enough to find people that are willing to give this kind of info because they don't want to get in the middle of it. It would be fairly simple to find someone and give them whatever compensation is reasonable to put your car on a lift or whatever it takes to examine the "hard to find" parts of your Shelby and verify. Then, if some of the orignal parts are gone do some searching like the rest of us would have to do to find them. You sound like you are quite "in the know" about Mustangs and Shelbys, I would think you would have some connections that could review your car? There has to be a person like Ed C. for Fords who can look at and verify your car. See, I would have had that done before purchase especially with a high dollar car such as this. But, that is me. Again, I just felt as though I should put in my .02 since I commented and thanked Les for the information. We were just talking about whether or not someone would come forward with this type of info given the opportunity, and this was an example where someone did. That is pretty rare. Most people would have let you continue on with your sale and never let you know. You would not have found out until the lawsuit for misrepresenting the car (and I honestly can tell that you had no intentions of doing that-- you just didn't know). Which, it sounds like you may be able to do from the previous owner?

That is all I'm saying. If you want to view the thread I am talking about, go here https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/show.../page/1#170302
Old 11-22-2005, 07:14 PM

I think its great that Les has provided the info....