Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Other Muscle

Old 11-17-2003, 09:39 PM

Thanked 1,660 Times in 487 Posts
Default Re: 1970 gto judge ram air IV

The article I posted is Super Stock July 1969.
It does not say if the orange Judge had the RA V installed at the factory or not. It does call it a prototype. The B&W pic may or may not be the same car and may or may not have been photographed at the factory but they did credit GM for the photos. I guess you have to read the article and see what you think. The article is not clear on those points as I am sure it didn't matter much to anyone back then. Ro now works for Hot Rod magazine. I tried to contact him by email a bunch of times on other articles he wrote as he is one of my favoite writers. I never got a reply but maybe someone can contact him or Super Stock mag and see if they have any additional info.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:06 PM

More of Tom's very sweet motor for those interested
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2003, 10:07 PM

One more engine shot
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2003, 10:09 PM

And in the engine bay....

Tom, I thought this might be enough for the forum. What do you think? Any of the others in particular you would like me to post.

And Tom, I want to be your cabana boy when you go to the beach in this machine [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif[/img]
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2003, 10:38 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

just glad I was ABLE to presearve such a rare piece of pontiac history.I also just got done doing a COMPLETE alu D port pontiac engine.It was made in the late 50s,I found the engine at M/Ts in the early 60s and have been after it since then,I refound it again about 6 years ago,FINALLY got the guy to sell it to me and got it together.ANOTHER big undertaking as it was designed to run without sleeves like the Vega engines.The motor was on the dyno a couple weeks ago and will be going in a 63 Lemans convert.Tom
Old 11-17-2003, 11:21 PM

everyone needs to go and get a february 2004 (talk about sending issues early) high performance pontiac magazine. it has a very interesting article on a man who retired from gm that was the senior project engineer, advanced manufacturing engineering, advanced vehicle engineering 8th level (wow, what a title. imagine that on your name badge) anyway, he raced back in the early 60's and it goes on to tell about pontiac making 5 1965 lightweight gto's (one sent to royal and another to knafel pontiac othes went different places) and then john delorean okayed them to build him one in black which he still has and only has 4700 miles on it. his was not lettered up and was actually taken delivery thru royal pontiac and was not ment to be sold but royal did get him the title a year or so later (please read the story yourself for exact details). it then quotes him as saying that unfortunately he doesnt have the paperwork on it because back then it was just supposed to have been a race car and there was not supposed to be paperwork to cover "backroom handshake deals". WOW!!!! DOES THIS NOT JUST BACK UP ALL THE STORIES THAT BILL KNAFEL HAS TOLD??? i know it does not prove them without a shadow of a doubt, but it does give credibility to what he says. unless of course this man has lost his mind also like everyone seems to think bill knafel has. ps- to the engineer that wrote in and didnt remember knafel, they sure did keep you in the dark didnt they [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2003, 11:49 PM

I never knew what a magazine says would be considered gospel.

Much like Knafel and Wangers, it seems there are certain things you want to be true without the facts to back them up. Knowledgable Pontiac people know when not to jump the gun and can sift through the BS to arrive at a reasonable conclusion. Which one are you? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2003, 11:53 PM

tjs44,
Last time I was in Reath's he was telling me someone traded him a jacket and a little money for two Tunnelport engines. And it looks like he hasn't taken that jacket off since. I was wondering, since you have been going to Reath's for 40 years, if you remember this 64 GTO. See pic. I bought it from the original owner's estate and all I know about it's history is that it was up on blocks since 1970 and the engine was balanced and blueprinted by Joe. The original owner's first name was Fern.
Thanks,
Jim
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2003, 12:13 AM

Tom, you need to talk Steve B. out of a set of the M/T Hemi heads for one of your projects.
James
Old 11-18-2003, 12:19 AM

i think you have your mind made up and are too closed minded to look at the facts and see what reality was back then. have you seen the article i was posting about?