Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Other Muscle

Old 08-15-2004, 04:21 AM

Default Re: 2005 GTO

<font color="blue">If people would use their imagination, like in the 60's &amp; 70's, the GTO would be a great car. There are 2 problems:
1) It's overpriced for the 'average' buyer.
2) it needs a 'lot' of customizing to make it cool.
The good thing is you can put a paint scheme on it &amp; an exhaust &amp; it will be yours &amp; fast. </font>
Old 08-15-2004, 06:41 PM

400???? Wow guy, you trying to get under a Pontiac guys finger nails?

Because of your post I tried to dig up some sales numbers, but was unsuccessful. So I'll just tell you as my eyes see it on the road.

I have seen maybe 2 total Mini Coopers on the road over the last year, may just be dumb luck but I haven't seen that many.

VW Beatles are EVERYWHERE, as are the Ford Mustangs. Now the Beatles don't sound hot like the Stang, but they do stand out with styling as does the Stang. The Cooper stands out too, and I like em but there sure aren't that many rolling around my neck of the woods.

The 04 GTO is something that could have been great. Runs great, handles well, nice interior, but that's where it stops. When I am on the road I am on the look out for them, I have maybe seen 3 to 4 running around town, and I have to squint my eyes and wait until there real close to make sure it's one. Even as close as a block away I'm still saying to myself, "self, is that one" ... is it? I'm not sure?

They are a dead dog on our lot, first they are hard to get off the transport truck and second they aren't moving very well in sales. Author's note: "our" is in reference to the place I work and take pride in being part of the team that makes the business run, not a reference to ownership.

You know what, screw this trying to make a modern look. When I drive my 1969 GTO I turn more heads in one day than all the 04 GTO's running around my town will do in a year.

I promise you if there had been more of a retro effort, it wouldn't be getting all this flack and our dealership would be flooded with customers. So what if you fall back on an ole design, the old stuff still works today. It's much better than making an over priced Jelly Bean. And I have nothing wrong with a world wide economy, but I want this one made at home.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:59 PM

I for one like the retro cars and for the most part i think they sell well, i see alot of them, but then again i have a Prowler so im a little biased. As far as the Mini is concerned, we don't see much here becouse the closest dealership is in Vancouver. The dealership here is to small to take the line on, they are looking at expanding. Calgary dosent have the line either. I think they're better built then the bug.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:30 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

This retro thing has to be done right. It's a tough job and a fine line between which side of the "Wow Factor" you end up on.

I've seen a bunch of new Beetles. -But they have been out since '98. I haven't been real crazy about the look, especially the front (bumper car?) and I bet they'll stick with this look for awhile. Are they on a 10 year design plan? -isn't most German stuff like this or what? I'm familiar with the original bugs and know what was changed on them from year to year, but when it really gets down to it I like '66 and older. The PTCruiser, it's been out since 2001. Sure I've seen a bunch, but I think it has slowed since the introduction. All it is, is a Neon or Breeze (Plymouth) with a body that actually has some room. That look I don't mind. But I really see these cars as basic transportation with a little retro look. For some people that's enough. There is not enough there to get me excited. Now I had thoughts of buying a PTCruiser when it was first talked about with pics showing a 2-door sedan delivery. -"Hey, if they have that body on a Dakota RT chassis, I'm going to try it". Still waiting. The Mini, it's a BMW and came out it 2002. It sits on an M3 chassis. I've seen a bunch around. They look good in the right colors and run pretty good with a harsh ride (seats). I'd say it's better than the new Beetle. The Prowler, It's in a class of its own.

The GTO, I see them at dealers and I keep looking for them on the road. I've seen a few driving (2 red, 1 blue, 1 black). I don't recognize them right off. I can't tell from the back. Not until I hear the exhaust and/or a tire chirp at shift that gets me to see the emblem. I really don't care about those other cars. The GTO has almost everything, but needs a tweak in the body for me. But a car with guts is better any day then a car with retro skin.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:15 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

"Talk about beating a dead horse". The car just looks bland. Retro or not,it deserves more!! Especially if its going to say GTO on it.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:45 PM

And when I say retro, I don't mean build a clone of one of the originals but I mean to go after the styling presence of the originals. Everyone needs to know your driving a GTO a mile off.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:22 AM

Your right the GTO has no individual identity. But it does drive and handle very well and it's pretty fast. If Dodge comes out with the Charger let's hope it looks like this. If the new Magnum is a hint it looks pretty darn close to the concept vehicle before it hit production.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2004, 05:54 AM

I have to say that agree with what most of you have to say about the 2004 GTO (even you, Steve )

I have a feeling that GM knows that they made a "boo-boo" I was at the Press Party today for the Woodward Dream Cruise (Bill was asked to bring his Bobcat) and LOOK what the guys at GM brought to the party! This car was just finished this morning

I actually like THIS!

Rita
Attached Images

RIP COPO PETE!
</span> </span>
Old 08-18-2004, 05:58 AM

Hello....now that is tough looking...
Old 08-18-2004, 05:58 AM

Here's another shot

I really like the retro '64 style exhaust tips!
Attached Images