Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Yenko Chevrolet

Old 09-23-2000, 03:23 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: 69 Yenko 427 Nova Question

This might be old news but there is a article on speedvision online about the red "copo" nova. Its done by Jerry Heasley who I believe did the original article in Muscle Car Review a few years ago.
Old 10-05-2000, 05:24 AM

Hey Marlin,if you would like to; you can post the photo of this Yenko Nova when at the dragstrip, that I sent you. Other batch of stuff to be sent to you tomorrow. Kevin
Old 10-05-2000, 12:07 PM

Thanked 1,660 Times in 487 Posts

Kevin, I would be very interested to see the original documentation and pics of your Yenko Nova. I have been trying to research the '69 COPO Nova question but have come up with no evidence that one was ever made. I know people are quick to discount the existence of the COPO cars, as the Heasley article mentions, but I try to keep an open mind and look for "just the facts ma'am." Heasley states how in the mid 80's the Chevelle experts said there were no 427 factory built COPO Chevelles but I had one in my garage at the time and it's original owner told me that he was told by the dealer (Byrne Brothers Chev.) that the car was a "factory 427 car with a racing transmission." I later found Byrne Brothers Chev. ads from 1969 where they advertised "factory installed 427 Camaros and Chevelles." I believe that some 1968 COPO 427 Camaros were made (I posted info on this) but the Nova is a different story. I leave the door open but there are a few reasons I would agree with Jim Mattison that no COPO Novas were made. The Heasley article claims that the Nova's Body Broadcast Sheet shows RPO L78, M20, M10. but no RPO for the SS. This is shaky COPO evidence. As Don Coffman states on his web site, his 1969 SS L34 Nova Body Broadcast Sheet shows no RPO Z26 for the SS trim. The COPO Chevelle has the COPO # 9562 with a ECL code on the Body Broadcast Sheet. Does the Nova's BB Sheet have a COPO type number such as 95xx on it? The ED Cunneen book has service letters from GM for the COPO Camaros and Chevelles but has no mention of a COPO Nova. In the pictures of your Yenko Nova it looks like it has been restored with an SS grill and SS emblems on the steering wheel. Is this correct? The SS hood grills are missing but maybe Yenko didn't replace them after installation of the hood stripes? The SS 396 side marker lights are missing but Yenko would have to swap them with std. side marker lights to install his 427 emblems. Do the original pics show the rear SS trim piece between the tail lights? Maybe Yenko removed the SS emblems from the grill and removed the rear SS trim when he installed the rear Yenko emblems? Weather it is a COPO or not, it is still a rare and beautiful SuperCar.

[Edited by JoeC (10-05-2000 at 07:07 AM).]
Old 10-05-2000, 01:38 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Kevin/Joe;
I am working on the photo upload, I'm having a little bit of trouble with the file format. It is not a .JPG, so I will have to try it as a .TIF format. I will start a new topic in order to minimize the download time.
M
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)