Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 03-03-2010, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Rail yard incident

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Try 2006. These vehicles would be covered by insurance and the insurance company would get rid of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

If any pre-delivery vehicle is involved in any kind of an accident then the vehicle must be "certified" scrap. Generally the salvage yard is required to cut the vehicle in two and prove the VIN has been destroyed - even if there is NO damage to the vehicle and only the transporter was in a minor accident. The real shame is when a trainload of new cars is involved in a minor incident and ALL the vehicles MUST be scrapped.

Too many PoS lawyers out there that would love to get a big settlement because the car or truck was "wrecked" before delivery.

[/ QUOTE ] Delivery to where ? There were a bunch of new Dodge Challenger's that got hailed on in Omaha at the railyard real bad they fixed most of those.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:28 AM

I know of one instance when a 1978 Silver anniversary corvette's chains broke loose inside the railroad car, and it bounced around like a ping pong ball, the dealership's bodyshop repaired it and they sold it as new.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,215 Posts

Growing up in and around the Oshawa plants our High Schools were always supplied w/ lots of Damagaed in Transit GM vehicles..
Body and trim parts were often sold, given away or stolen and the vehicles turned into operable chassis...some w/ shortened WB to take up less space..

When I worked in the car business we'd often receive DIT vehicles at the dealer level and they were always fixed..
Receiving vehicles that'd already been repaired somewhere between assembly and delivery wasn't uncommon either!.
It was often a game between the shipping companies and the dealers over who'd take the jab for damage costs as if you didn't spot the damage and get it noted and signed by the delivery driver on the shipping manifest, you were on the hook!.
I still laugh when I see the transports unloading in front of dealerships...especially if it's at night!.

~ Pete

--------------------
I like real cars best...especially the REAL real ones!