Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,799 Times in 525 Posts
Default Re: The most "significant" Chevrolet performance c

This is like asking....what do you like more..??? Redheads or Blondes....the answer is....YES

Tibor....how you doin' in Cheeseland..???

NuYawk
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 05-20-2008, 07:51 AM

Great!now don't tell me this car will be at the next mecum auction selling for $800k.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Colin, what other Z/28 convertible are you referring to?
Mark Sheppard

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this in a Z28 file, not sure of the story. It can't be real? I do recall the gashole issue though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-20-2008, 08:21 AM

You guys are talking about generic non specific rare cars with the exception of the Z-28 CV mentioned by Colin.

The reason the unrestored blue ZL-1 is arguably the holy grail of muscle cars is because it is a rare car like many that have been discussed in this excellent thread BUT its condition and options for what should have been a race car like most ZL-1s were is what it sets it apart from the rest.

An original unrestored unmolested highly optioned RS ZL-1 with a documented history makes it number one Chevy IMHO. If the Z-28 CV mentioned by Colin is unrestored then it has to be up there except that the ZL-1 is a much stronger running car than the Z-28. Big block Chevy is really the pinnacle of 60s performance I think?

Now a really interesting discussion is this? I think Charley's not so super snake is the number one most significant Ford muscle car ever built since we are excluding Vettes and Cobra's as sportscars and not muscle cars. Here is the query, between the blue unrestored Zl-1 and Charley's not so super snake which is more historically significant? We need a Mopar muscle car candidate a specific car perhaps a Pontiac and an Olds and lets get ready to rumble and choose the holy grail of muscle cars?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:49 AM

Les, by asking that question you are going to get a zillion different responses all over the board. Guys, please humor me and stick to Chevys and make it one particular specific car.

Just for fun I am going to disagree with Les, Charley, and others. I do not agree that the blue ZL1 is more significant than for instance, the #1 ZL1 that I picked. I understand everything that you stated as to its originality and rarity, but how could you possibly say it is more "significant" in the true definition of the word, than the #1 ZL1? The #1 ZL1 has some serious racing history, is the ultimate supercar (ZL1), and was driven by one of the fathers, if not THE father of all supercars. Add to this that the car is still out there today, in its full race trim glory, and even makes a lap down the track from time to time. I just am not seeing this. I will also add that if the #1 ZL1 was bought new and put into a time capsule and opened up today as a brand new 1969 Camaro ZL1 in 2008 it would STILL NOT be as significant as it were having been raced.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:53 AM

Very broad question, which opens up a lot of discussion and opinion.

One particular car, or one particular model? And what exactly is "significance"? Significant in the collector realm today, or how it affected the automotive industry decades ago?

The Z11 and Z16 cars really opened the gates to the cars that would follow. I think the Penske Sunoco 69 is probably the most iconic of the early Camaros.

Particular Camaros, the LMB RS ZL1 and the <2000mi. (I grew up knowing it as 1400, think its around 1800 now) Black RS Z are at the top IMO. Just not sure if they have the historical "significance", i.e. race history, prototypes, one-offs, first/last of production, test car, etc.

The LMB 68 Z X-ram Vert pictured above was built by a guy on TC, he may be on here as well. Stamped and repo-papered, but there shouldnt be any confusion as it being #2 of 1.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:20 AM

This question was bandied around on LS1 tech and the responses ran into the thousands. Since the term significant was chosen I think the Estes car stands alone. Had it not been built,you might have seen about five consecutive years of Manufacturers championships for ford in the T/A series. Five decades of the RPO..how many others lasted more than one?. From a valuation standpoint which would fetch more at say BJ,that(or any) ZL1 or the Estes car?. Don't get me wrong I love the ZL1's but all 69 don't add up to the influence that vert had in changing chevy history in both production and racing.

(Ken,i'm with ya brother)

Old 05-20-2008, 10:34 AM

If we're talking specific cars, a favorite of mine would have to be the #3 Berger ZL-1 Camaro. It may not have those precious, over-rated hide-away headlights, but that Daytona Yellow #3 car DOES happen to be a double COPO with the Sports Car Package, Berger Chevrolet heritage, great colors, Endura bumper and be an M-22 car (rare, even for a ZL-1). Probably the most photographed and documented ZL-1 of all. It is simply the ULTIMATE '69 Camaro and just to stand next to it is awe-inspiring.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:36 AM

Mark, I too thought of the #3 ZL1. But it was NOT the most photo documented. #1 BLOWS it away with vintage and modern photos.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:38 AM

Can't stop staring at that black '62 Bel Air. A 1962 409 Bel Air is my all-time favorite car. The list of racers that used those cars is like a who's who list of stock-bodied drag racing. Prettiest car ever made, arguably!
Old 05-20-2008, 02:43 PM

What about a 1965 Chevelle Z-16 unrestored survivor car in pristine condition I think that is a Chevrolet performance car.