Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-21-2007, 05:54 AM

Default Re: What do you think about this X66 Big Block?

[ QUOTE ]
I checked the make it illegal to sell box, however I would add that these cars should also be placed on a listing somewhere where people have access.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree, CRG has a spot on their site for "Orphans" which is a listing of documented or VIN stamped drivetrains. This is a great service to help unite drivetrains with the original cars.
Why not list fakes, restamps, Rebodies, etc. in another section to help buyers make <u>informed</u> decisions?

I DID GET A RESPONSE FROM THE SELLER OF THE X-66 AND IT'S SAD HOW HE IS A VICTIM OF THIS CRAP.

HERE IS HIS E-MAIL

"IT DOESN'T SHOW ANY SIGNS OF THE TRIM TAG BEING SWITCHED.I KNOW THE VIN PLATE IS THE ORIGINAL.THE TRIM TAG VERY WELL COULD HAVE BEEN SWITCHED SOMEWHERE THROUGH THE YEARS, IF IT WAS WE SURE AS HELL DIDN'T DO IT.THERE IS A GUY ON EBAY SELLING TRIM TAGS FOR $450 A POP, HE'S GOT A WHOLE TRASH CAN FULL OF EM IN HIS ADD PICS."
Old 11-21-2007, 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Simply put,you cant use a trim tag for "documentation" any more than you can rely on a stamp pad for it,as both are easily changed . With a factory paperwork car however you can melt down the original engine and trim tag and make jewelry out of them,and you still have a documented car.

[/ QUOTE ]

They fake and age these as well?
Old 11-21-2007, 06:18 AM

I was thinking more along the lines of the scene in the original Bullit or Gone in 60 seconds. How much of that went on in the 60's and 70's? How many people had access to those "original" trim tag rivets and vin plate rivets to do a swap? Who would have known then? Add 30-40 yrs on that equation and you have a bunch of good people on a website to inform the "other" car guys that they've been had.

Jed 69,70,71 Nova's 1955 Bel Air and a 69 Camaro.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:51 AM

Canadian cars have excellent documentation right from GM BUT guys are building cars around paperwork.