Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 06-30-2014, 09:13 PM

Default Re: 1972 Vega Panel Express

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Can't wait to get this thing running. Once the BB is in, then I will get some measurement's for a radiator. Then just need the small stuff, proper pulley's, alternator brackets, etc. My hope is to have it on the road this year. Just have to fit it in with my work schedule.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:45 PM

Great looking Vega!

Kind of reminds me of one a friend of a friend owns. Here it is reunited on it's real deal ramp truck.....this was taken last fall. Car was painted by the Nolan Bros...

BIG

Old 07-01-2014, 06:35 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Like it. 30 mile an hour roll and stomp it. I bet she jumps right off the ground standing still when you hit the throttle. A friend of mine in 1970 had a really hot 69 Chevelle SS with tunnel ram and 2 fours. You would be looking at the tail lights and he would stomp on the pedal. Instantly your looking at the headlights and it didn't move from the spot it was parked on. Car just jumped 180. Never seen that happen before. Amazing to see.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:28 PM

Got the motor mounts, plates and header's courtesy of Hemicolt. A special tanks to Tracy for taking the time to help a fellow enthusiast and send them up to Canada for me.

Got a few friends over yesterday along with my younger bro. He's the brute force and welder guru and off we went.......

Had the motor in and out about 6 times, some grinding, pounding, some swearing, you know, the usual. Things are tight!! We found it easier to put the motor in, then slide the passenger header in from below, then slide in the drivers side in from up top. Once we had things squared up the best we could, and string lined the driveline. Then we welded in the motor mount plates into place. The motor does sit slightly to the passenger side as it should. All in all things went pretty good. It sure helps to have 3 people for the install.

Still have lots more to get done, but this was probably the worst part to tackle. The motor is back on the shop floor, as I have to modify a few more thing, such as the starter to fit, and just some small stuff. Nothing a little bit of heat and a hammer won't take care of.

Here are a few pictures from yesterday, as I progress I will post up some more. Enjoy

Old 07-13-2014, 09:56 PM

Looking good Darcy!Keep the pics coming.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:27 PM

I'm back with a small update. Go the motor and tranny together and stuffed them in last night. Being as the car use to have a SB in it at one time, I was curious to see how far the cross member would be out with the BB in it. It about an inch longer, and not quite an inch to the one side. So I will fab up a cross member to allow for the extra length now, as well as the for the exhaust. I sent the headers out to be ceramic coated also, had them back in 4 days. They look pretty good. That will be the next mission now is to install the headers next weekend, and the drive shaft. My hope is the drive shaft won't have to be modified (shortened). I will find out soon enough I guess. I'm hoping the tunnel ram will be in by then to, then I can install it, as well as some ignition parts. Wiper motor needs to be installed also. The heater vent, I think I will fab up a piece of tin and cover it over, and just install the blower motor to push some air through the car on the colder evenings if I'm out cruising.

That's it for now, enjoy!!

Old 07-19-2014, 02:04 AM

Thanked 5,373 Times in 1,884 Posts

Looking good Darcy!
Old 08-12-2014, 06:14 PM

Any updates Darcy?
Old 01-06-2015, 01:52 PM

Now that the holiday season has come and went and I still have some time off work, I have progress the panel a bit more. The Wieand Tunnel ram wasn't drilled out for the top alt bracket, so I had a buddy come over and preform that. That way if it screwed up, I had some to complain at. Had no issues.
#1 Shows the 1/2 inch shim we put behind the 68 alternator bracket against the water pump.
#2 Shows the bracket we built to build up the mount for the bottom of the alternator.
#3 Is the same thing as pic #2, just a better pic. The bracket attached to the bottom of the Alt, I turned it around, welded it up and cut it to proper size.
#4 Shows the string line and how everything lines up pretty good for the future placement of the alt belt.

The reason I am documenting this Alternator fabing and fitting for a 427 Vega is I have looked high and low on the net for some picture building guidance and have found nothing. My hope is someone will be able to benefit for these pictures.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:54 PM

Pic #1 shows the alignment of the alternator and the rest of the pulleys with the belt in place. Looks pretty good!!
Pic #2 Shows the bottom alt bracket welded into place. No laughing as my welding skill need a bit more practice.
Pic #3 Same as the last picture, just a better angle.

That pretty much looks after the Alt install now. Again, I hope this will be of some help to someone in the future for the install of the Alternator.