Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 07-12-2015, 06:07 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Just Moved to Italy - Looking for Beater Ferrari..

If u can, id go with a vintage alfa - plenty of used and aftermarket parts in italy and lots of expertise there for repairs.

Ferrari stuff is thru the roof - ISO stuff is now very pricey as well, both the Rivolta and the Griffo's and american parts are very tough to get in italy unless you ship the stuff in.

Alfa will have you fitting in like u lived there forever -

Get a list of the Mostra Scambio's - italian swap meets that are all around italy - - really cool stuff to buy.....

68 COPO Camaro 9737 non-converted YENKO
69 YENKO SC Camaro, Hugger Orange - born with engine!
Old 07-12-2015, 06:41 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my opinion, 308GT4 is just ugly. Ferrari hasn't made many ugly cars, but that one.....?

My choice would be a 5 speed 400i. Still a bit finicky (it is a Ferrari after all), but V12 power is really smooooth.
ATE brakes are easy to work on, and look just like big BMW brakes from the era.

Autos usually bring around 20k, unless they are extremely nice. Has a GM turbo 400 trans. Still a nice ride, but manual trans is much more fun.

Of course, the old adage rings true: there is nothing more expensive than a cheap exotic. </div></div>

I would love to have a V12 Ferrari, of course. Problem is these cars were fairly low production and most are automatics. I haven't seen an affordable manual transmission version yet. Here's the closest I can find -
http://www.autobelle.it/annunci/vend...lia_186569.php

Not seeing anything near $20k here, either: http://suchen.mobile.de/auto/ferrari-400...ant1.modelId=16

The 208 (came with a tiny 2 liter V-8; some with a turbo)/308 GT4 is definitely an acquired taste, but they're growing on me. I think these are about to take a big jump in price, too, along with the Dino Coupes. Projects pop up periodically for less than $30k, but driver quality cars seem to be at or north of $30k. http://suchen.mobile.de/auto/search....zipcodeRadius=

Thanks,

Scott
Old 07-12-2015, 06:55 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enio45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If u can, id go with a vintage alfa - plenty of used and aftermarket parts in italy and lots of expertise there for repairs.

Ferrari stuff is thru the roof - ISO stuff is now very pricey as well, both the Rivolta and the Griffo's and american parts are very tough to get in italy unless you ship the stuff in.

Alfa will have you fitting in like u lived there forever -

Get a list of the Mostra Scambio's - italian swap meets that are all around italy - - really cool stuff to buy..... </div></div>

Vintage Alfa is clearly the smart decision, which is precisely the reason that I probably won't end up with one.

Nice thing about them is that they are everywhere. Dozens available in southern Italy at all times. Here's what's showing up on one website in Lazio (for those not familiar with Italy, Lazio is the province where Rome is located, just to the north of Campania [where I am - Naples] and a bit more populous): http://www.subito.it/annunci-lazio/v...00315&amp;sp=1 No pressure to jump on the first one that shows up in my price range, unlike a 208/308 GT4, 400i, etc.

Speaking of fitting in, not seeing any vintage cars on the roads, which is understandable given how the locals drive. I thought driving with 25,000,000 of my closest friends in Seoul was intense, but it was just a warmup for southern Italy.

Thanks for the details on Mostra Scambios. I'll check that out.

Scott
Old 07-12-2015, 03:55 PM

u have to get a vespa for the local, quick trips :-)

i had a nice alfa 166 - fiat punto and 2 vespa's for kicking around.....

fiat 500's are a nice fit as well :-) : not performance oriented but typical car

sounds like fun - i lived in Milan and traveled to Turin every week.......mostly drove the 166, but did the train periodically

itching to do a trip back to the home country - - have a handful of vintage ferrari parts to look for

my family is from Frosinoni - 1.5 hrs south of rome...

68 COPO Camaro 9737 non-converted YENKO
69 YENKO SC Camaro, Hugger Orange - born with engine!
Old 07-12-2015, 11:49 PM

Yea, but what about the Bacci tourney!!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]

Old 07-13-2015, 02:41 AM

Sam...It was probably a cluster flake. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2015, 02:44 AM

Lancia Thema'll get you a Ferrari motor (328/Mondial 3.2). Kinda cool and subtle little sedan.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:04 AM

I don't think I will ever own a Ferrari, but it would be nice. Just like I prefer muscle cars over 2 seater sports cars of the 1960's - so I would lean towards a 4 seater Ferarri too. A later build Mondial convertible would be nice.

That said, you could own one in the US fairly easily. I would be very tempted to find cars which are not available here- especially if they are old enough to legally come back. The Audi/ Group B fan in me would have to at least test drive one of these:

Lancia Delta Intergrale!
Old 07-13-2015, 03:33 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enio45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">u have to get a vespa for the local, quick trips :-)

i had a nice alfa 166 - fiat punto and 2 vespa's for kicking around.....

fiat 500's are a nice fit as well :-) : not performance oriented but typical car

sounds like fun - i lived in Milan and traveled to Turin every week.......mostly drove the 166, but did the train periodically

itching to do a trip back to the home country - - have a handful of vintage ferrari parts to look for

my family is from Frosinoni - 1.5 hrs south of rome...
</div></div>

Eddie -

Frosinoni isn't too far from me. Right now I'm living in Gricignano and working in Lago Patria. We're looking for a house to rent in Lago Patria; should be moving in next month.

Do you still have any relatives here? Anyone connected with the vintage car scene?

Let me know if you need any help scrounging Ferrari parts.

On the Fiat 500 and Vespa, I'm 6'4&quot; and 230 lbs; not sure I would fit in a Fiat 500 or on a Vespa, and given the way the locals drive, I think I would want something more substantial if I got into a fender bender!

Thanks,

Scott
Old 07-13-2015, 03:37 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tenney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lancia Thema'll get you a Ferrari motor (328/Mondial 3.2). Kinda cool and subtle little sedan. </div></div>

I'm familiar with the Thema. Neat car, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Scott