Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 11-01-2014, 05:01 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Cars with Cragars

Hummmmm,
Corrigan Drive Street racing ???
Nary a race never developed on Lebanon Church Rd. as cars would run past Spear Chevrolet.....
(Jerry Spear Jr. died along with Don Yenko in that mid 80's plane crash)
at 100 mph stopping at the "tunnels" on 885 for a 1,000 ft warm-up on there way to SouthPark & Corrigan Dr.then onto rt 88 by Trax Farms & Mineral beach.
I swear it wasn't me who during a street race on Corrigan,,pulled out behind a RA GTO & a 440 RoadRunner and Blew them both off the road with a small block 69 Camaro......
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img]
There was some serious &quot;Action&quot; in West Mifflin ,Munhall (Kennywood Blvd) &amp; Corrigan Dr/Rt 88 South Park in the mid/ late 70's - 80's.

Mark, I was from West Mifflin .....Nordeen Dr. and Never 'lost' a race in those days. . . My engine guy and brother is Crew Cheifing a Pro Nitrous PDRA Camaro today and back then Built combinations that were unbeatable....
John, nice seeing your thread.... by the way this response ,,,qualifies as the 69 Camaro was a CRAGAR SS equipted car!!!!
Old 11-01-2014, 10:30 AM

This is my 1970 Chevelle L78 4:10 rear-end 12 bolt paint stripe delete I ordered from Vietnam through Karen Chevrolet Phillipsburg, NJ. These mags were put on when I got home May 1970 came home Christmas week 1969 my dad worked at Karen Chevy and had car sitting in garage when I got home that week to drive then put back in garage until I got home in May 1970 then put the Hooker headers on, Intake and Holley, air shocks and rest of stuff to street race in Easton,Pa. where everyone would go to race on main street through town and on Route 22. Green house my dads house 25 Wilson St. 6 houses down from where Karen Chevrolet used to be my dad would walk up the alley to work Phillipsburg, NJ

The Following User Says Thank You to leach For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (04-27-2019)
Old 11-01-2014, 12:47 PM

Terrific! Is that Astros blue?

Old 11-01-2014, 01:37 PM

Great story. Love the car!
Old 11-01-2014, 04:01 PM

Barry,
do you have that still or was it traded off?
My Dad, in 70, bought a rolled over LS6 from a Viet Nam Vet,,,,a week before his mom cosigned 1/2 the loan just as he got home from Nam....no insurance and out of cash, he sold it wrecked.
As a pre-teen my uncle showed me how to &quot;cut up a car&quot; with an acetylene torch... Just in the last few years I sold off the engine &amp; trans (M22/LS6 combo)
The bench seat shifter sold at Carlisle, the ZL2 COWL INDUCTION air cleaner ,I still have.
Astonishing,,,,, a week later Dad bought another 70 Cowl hood car that a discharged Nam Vet had run off the road into ambutment (Silver / Black) LS5 ,,,,,I have that AC as well.
Word got around and don't you know a Daytona Yellow Z/28 and an L88 Corvette was acquired in similar cases. All wrecked before the first payments were made,all un-insured and by service men home from Nam.
At one time that summer and fall , I think there were as many as 7 wrecked/totaled Chevy Hi perf cars in our driveway and back yard.
Interesting enough we still have parts &amp; pieces left from those. .. I was 11 and the second coolest kid in our neighborhood.
Tom
Old 11-04-2014, 12:38 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Day2_69Z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hummmmm,
Corrigan Drive Street racing ???
Nary a race never developed on Lebanon Church Rd. as cars would run past Spear Chevrolet.....
(Jerry Spear Jr. died along with Don Yenko in that mid 80's plane crash)
at 100 mph stopping at the &quot;tunnels&quot; on 885 for a 1,000 ft warm-up on there way to SouthPark &amp; Corrigan Dr.then onto rt 88 by Trax Farms &amp; Mineral beach.
I swear it wasn't me who during a street race on Corrigan,,pulled out behind a RA GTO &amp; a 440 RoadRunner and Blew them both off the road with a small block 69 Camaro......
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img]
There was some serious &quot;Action&quot; in West Mifflin ,Munhall (Kennywood Blvd) &amp; Corrigan Dr/Rt 88 South Park in the mid/ late 70's - 80's.

Mark, I was from West Mifflin .....Nordeen Dr. and Never 'lost' a race in those days. . . My engine guy and brother is Crew Cheifing a Pro Nitrous PDRA Camaro today and back then Built combinations that were unbeatable....
John, nice seeing your thread.... by the way this response ,,,qualifies as the 69 Camaro was a CRAGAR SS equipted car!!!! </div></div>

Tom... are you taking about the Orange SS350 car you showed me pictures of? I remember Tim G. telling me that thing was a real runner with the little 327.

If you want to talk Pittsburgh street racing in the early 1990s, the place to be on Saturday nights was New Stanton by the old Sony plant. On Sunday it was down under the Thornburg bridge by the Pittsburgh / Ingram border near the broadhead projects.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:50 AM

yep...
an old &quot;tired&quot; 68 Corvette 350 horse
327 , Zip 510 750dp mallory &amp; 3:73's
ran 12.50-12.80 off the street @ 106-109 mph.....
a little faster with small slicks ....
little car with small tires, would pull the wheels a few inches on launch.
I did have Lakewood slappers on it with Gabriel adjustable drag shocks on 4 corners.
The car was extremely quick,fast and launched hard.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:49 PM

does this count? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/04/s...-slayer-music/
Old 11-05-2014, 02:21 AM

OMG. #&amp;%$@'&amp;$ SO UGLY YET SO KOOL... THATS THE BEST ONE I EVER SAW.....JUST GOES TO SHOW HOW CRAGARS CAN &quot;KNOCK THE FUGLY&quot; OFF ANYTHING !!!
his retro tastes are well covered in a shrunk down 70's love machine...geez, I can't believe I like it. hope no one else sees this thread...lol
Old 11-07-2014, 02:36 PM

Thanked 1,421 Times in 685 Posts

Day2, Do you have some pics of your car(s), old or new?

An acquaintance of mine's son has that yellow/black '69 RS with the tunnel ram, and I believe he has another '69 in blue maybe?

My brother and his buddies used to go to New Stanton; my brother had a burgundy Fox body convertible and his buddy had a series of Mopars (71 Cuda as well as a twin turbo Viper now).

I miss the car scene in WPA.
John 10:30