Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-18-2009, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Barrett Jackson COPO Camaro

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think this is the second year that I don't recall seeing the big time buyer who always wore the Univerity of Tennessee cap. Is he out of the market? He seemed like a pretty shrewd buyer who knew what he wanted rather than just sit in the front row and bid on everything that crossed the block because he could.

[/ QUOTE ]

or the clown in the Ferrari hat or the guy in the white t-shirt that they tried to stick with the Motorama $4 million dollar bus or any of the guys from that B-J scam TV show (with the exception of the guy with the shaved head)..all I watched was a couple of hours on Sat night but it`s like the circus came to town, and Speed put it on TV.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,751 Times in 510 Posts

Karen and I watched this "circus" and couldn't believe what we saw happening on national television When Jackson and company get tired of this gig, they should try running a 3 card monte game on a street corner some place....it would be a step up

wilma

Hey, kid...wanna buy a COPO..??
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2009, 07:19 PM

my opinion is that re-bodied car's shouldn't be getting the Saturday Night Fever limelight... they certainly don't deserve that fiasco... i'm very disappointed in some things from an integrity standpoint.... the green car DID have a Reggie Jackson nameplate on the front bumper, and it definately appeared to me that he was bidding it up for someone... play back the tapes carefully, and you'll see what I mean..

on the other hand, the Gwynn limelight auction was a very sobering and tearjerk timeframe, what a ultra classy guy. What he and Rick Hendrick did was emotional, and from the solid value core of the heart strings..
Old 01-18-2009, 07:31 PM

I missed what ever it was that Rick Hendrick did that was emotional but I laughed my ass off when he bought the 2010 Camaro and everyone thought it was the greatest gesture in the world. Lets see, Hendrick gets factory backed support from Chevrolet, Chevrolet dontates the 1st public 2010 Camaro to charity. Isnt that kind of like me giving you 1,000,000 bucks and you giving me half of it back? WOW, great gesture!

Something needs to be done about the announcers criticising the bidders for not spending high $. I dont know how many times Steve or Craig got on the mic to bitch about people not spending money. They sound like a bunch of whiney little brats.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:35 PM

I'd like to know how the ZL-1 was represented to B-J and if anyone in their organization is aware of the true story surrounding the car. I am not sure how extensivly Steve Davis researches the cars they select for consignment. We sold a 70 GSX Stage 1 car last year and while on the block, they basically described the car to the audience exactly as we wrote the ad copy.

Mike Mancini
Old 01-18-2009, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did the Preston & Lawrence Yenko do $270K? Nice oem paint car but not much in successful race history, national event wins, or world championship titles.

Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because a car was not successful on the track does not mean it does not hold value, and vice versa. I can name several examples of cars that were not very successful that sold for big dollars and other cars that won regional and even national events that sold for less. Racing success is only one of the many factors that determine a car's worth.

IMO, the P/L racecar is one of the most desirable Yenkos out there, regardless of whether it was successful on the track or not. I thought it would do better, heard from one collector who was unable to attend say he would have gone 350. Having to follow the other cars, and being from the Holub collection hurt it. Even the announcers were unsure in how to describe it.

In the long run I do not think the "circus" surronding the selling of these cars will hurt our hobby, but certaintly a black eye for "supercars", and worse yet, Holub, Reggie and B/J.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what was the deal with the black 69 COPO Camaro? It was consigned by Joe Amato, did he buy this car at last years auction? $97K seemed cheap....

[/ QUOTE ]
Anyone know the story on this black COPO? what's the lot #?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to know how the ZL-1 was represented to B-J and if anyone in their organization is aware of the true story surrounding the car. I am not sure how extensivly Steve Davis researches the cars they select for consignment. We sold a 70 GSX Stage 1 car last year and while on the block, they basically described the car to the audience exactly as we wrote the ad copy.

Mike Mancini

[/ QUOTE ]

On TV they said that there was a "last minute" change to the auction bill that disclosed that the three cars were rebodies. The announcers said that Sunglasses Steve fully explained that fact each time the three cars went across the block. (Of course, that explanation magically didn't make in on the air) I would like to hear from someone that was there if that was in fact what happened.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Mike Mancini

[/ QUOTE ]

On TV they said that there was a "last minute" change to the auction bill that disclosed that the three cars were rebodies. The announcers said that Sunglasses Steve fully explained that fact each time the three cars went across the block. (Of course, that explanation magically didn't make in on the air) I would like to hear from someone that was there if that was in fact what happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hum... wonder if the dude who ended up with the ZL-1 got the memo?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:44 PM

Chuck, I remember a rumor floating around Bremerton Raceway about 20-25 yeaars ago that Jim Bruns was running that body and the trim tag had been sold for $25k. At the time the car was red and one of the fastest and most consistent. Again I said "RUMOR". Jim