Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Parts/Memorabilia - For Sale

Please note

Old 07-19-2005, 05:50 AM

Default 512 block for sale.

I am going to be putting this on Ebay once it is back from getting checked at the machine shop,but I will put it here so that if anybody needs it you can have 1st dibs.My neightbor just came across a 512 block out of a race car.The block is coded early 1970,but I will get the exact date when it comes back,I belive it is between january and march of 1970.I measured to be .100 over but the bores are clean and should work at this bore with just a hone job.It has ben decked so there are no numbers on it,and the inside of the lifter valley was ground a bit for a rev kit,but this wont effect usage in a sock application.When he got it it had no main caps,but we had caps,so after inspection,the caps will be fitted and the block machined.Basically it will be a ready to use 100 over block.It would be good as a CE block for an earlier car,or as a correct motor for a late 70 car.Either way,he will have about 900 into it,but if somebody really needs this block to do a correct resto,we will sell it to them for a grand,otherwise we will let the Ebay hounds have at it.I cant believe there is one on Ebay right now for 3 grand.We figure a 100 over block isnt as desirable,but for a car with a lot of history,it might seem more original then saying your LS6 chevelle that has been a race car for the last 20 years before being restored just happened to have only had the block bored .030" over all those years.You can email me at [email protected] if you are interested.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-19-2005, 06:35 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,858 Times in 1,254 Posts
Default Re: 512 block for sale.

Does it have 4 bolt main caps,and does it have the provision for the external oil cooler over the Oil filter boss?

Old 07-19-2005, 10:14 PM

It is a factory 4 bolt main.It is at the machine shop right now getting the caps done,so I will need to look for the oil cooler lines.I am also going to find out the date code.The machine shop measured it and we found out that it is only .090" over,not the .100" that I measured {I did a quick check using a .030" piston and some feeler guages while the engine was in my neighbor's truck}.He took our caps and said that he would add them to his cap collection{he has hundreds of caps},and he would find a set of caps that fit as close as possible to the origianl bore to maybe aviod the line bore job,which is a good thing too.The preliminary crack ceck was O.K.,but he is going to go over it properly before installing the caps.I can call him and find out f the block has the cooler lines,and get the exact date code.I will post back with the info.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:34 PM

The machine shop sys it has 2 1/2" pipe plug holes above the oil filter.The block was tailend down on the floor when I called,and he couldnt see the date,but he will get back to me on it.I spoke to my neighbor who remembers the day I looked at it for him,and he says it was dated 3 of 1970,I believe it was mid month.Let me know if you are interested.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:30 AM

O.K.,it is finally on Ebay.Here is a link to it.If anybody is interested,let me know.This isnt my Ebay listing,the owner listed it himself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/454-chevy...1QQcmdZViewItem