Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default '68 Nova Quarter window channels - chrome bead or black?

Hi All,

Need to get a set of quarter window channels, guides, hardware for my '68 Nova L78 resto. The car has none of that when I bought it.

There are 2 flavors of this part available from several vendors - with chrome bead and without the chrome (all black). How do I determine what is correct for my car? The car originally has no window chrome on the exterior - but I don't think the chrome/no chrome bead on the channels is tied to that trim option...

This is the next adventure - deciding which vendor has the most correct parts for functional quarter windows - there are old threads that that reproduction guides sucked - but hoping that in the last 10 years the product(s) are better than they were back then.

Thanks in advance for your collective help.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old Today, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougsL78 View Post
Hi All,

Need to get a set of quarter window channels, guides, hardware for my '68 Nova L78 resto. The car has none of that when I bought it.

There are 2 flavors of this part available from several vendors - with chrome bead and without the chrome (all black). How do I determine what is correct for my car? The car originally has no window chrome on the exterior - but I don't think the chrome/no chrome bead on the channels is tied to that trim option...

This is the next adventure - deciding which vendor has the most correct parts for functional quarter windows - there are old threads that that reproduction guides sucked - but hoping that in the last 10 years the product(s) are better than they were back then.

Thanks in advance for your collective help.
I have these and they work. https://www.ss396.com/nova/JTW-X2301-K.html But I came to the conclusion that I'll prolly never roll the rear window down.

Ask these folks https://www.ss396.com/nova/JTW-X2301-K.html or these https://nnnova.com/ if they can restore yours.
Old Today, 12:16 PM

Yes, none of my 70 Novas ever had rear windows that would roll down without problems, even when the cars were only a few years old. You learn to just never use them.
Old Today, 04:28 PM

Thanks all - I agree - the quarter windows on any of my novas have never been perfectly functional... and dont expect these to be the silver bullet.

I was more curious on why they make a chrome bead and black bead version - there must be an option ordered on a Nova hat dictates one or the other - I just cant seem to find out the details.

Not a showstopper - either will work